Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

I agree with this. I feel if we can get into next year with boosters etc we should see a better outcome. God people are unbelievable though. Ohhh the government told me the vaccine would work. Like children some people. Do people need to be led by the hand 24/7. Were adults. The vaccines do work but they were never going to eliminate it straight away. We will probably need 1 or 2 jabs a year to keep this at bay until hopefully it eventually fades out. Its spreading because in the main people are going out and doing what they feel like. Well guess what that's not possible right now. Its not possible without consequences anyway. Some people all they do is moan and moan. here is an idea maybe try and change your behaviour and we might be in a better position. Children a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

44% of the Journal readers, who tend to be younger, want more restrictions.

Imagine being so young and being that conservative?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

On days like today it is important to remember that this nightmare is not permanent. Booster shots, the Merck/Pfizer antivirals and (to a lesser extent) vitamin D will bring us to the other side of this, probably by 2023 or if we are lucky, maybe 2022. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how distant it is from today.

Persevere, act with diligence, take each day one at a time. We’ll get through this in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think we should go Ivan Drago on it at this stage , " if he dies, he dies "

Time for people to get on with there lives & as nature intended the weak will die & the strong will survive , I say that with parent's & family who are old & compromised , I can't expect the rest of this countries people to give up there life's for me & mine ,

Younger? Have you ever read the comment section on there? It's a who's who of angry middle aged gammon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Perhaps the older gen were up early voting!

I dunno, I was surprised too. Maybe the dont go far enough as in the restrictions they set are useless

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You say do people need to be led by the hand 24/7 ???

No they don't so u should be incharge of your own health & if you feel your not healthy enough then go ahead an isolate & let the other get on with there life's or do you WANT us to be led by the hand 24/7

Can you imagine people going out & socializing the absolute cheek of them ,

Think of what your saying they shouldn't go to places or else we won't be able to go to places ,

Maybe change your own behaviour if your worried & let others worry about themselves , Children a lot of people ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I see the shining light in the fight against the virus Israel, now saying it won’t achieve the mystical herd immunity unless they vaccinate the children

and so it begins..

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

True to an extent but people largely get their information from those messages and got vaccinated in huge numbers. Nine months on that message looks premature and the spectre of restrictions returning is very frustrating to many. The knock-on effect of that is more resistance to boosters. It doesn't help that the messaging is now all over the place, which weakens any force it might have. I'd rather they stopped this not ruling things out nonsense and produced a list of areas that might be affected if we have to go further.

Calling people names or sneering at them tends not to be an effective strategy for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's been no data from a properly run trial that shows Ivermectin to have any effect. If you can convince a few investors to run a trial in Ireland, you can manufacture it generically and make a killing.

Bar the government shouting "be more healthy" what do we expect to happen there in the relatively short timeframe of a pandemic (vs. the time it would take to improve health and wellbeing of the population so they're less vulnerable to COVID, understanding that "don't be old" won't be effective). There is already high taxes on alcohol and cigarettes and a sugar tax, do you want to make them more costly or ban them entirely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh, ok. When you were calling people lockdown merchants, the lockdown brigade, saying that people wanted lockdowns because they were whiners and hysterical, that was all just what if scenarios. Got it.

I only mention it because memory seems to be a problem in these threads. People get things badly wrong but instead of learning from it, when the next development comes along they ignore the past and act exactly the same. Like sneering at people who suggested lockdowns are a possibility while living in a country where in actual fact, lockdowns are a very real possibility.

No matter, I hope you enjoy your new life in the USA, it is after all the land of opportunity.

I have an idea.

Stop shutting down gyms. Let people run in parks. Don't stop children playing team sports.

Its crazy I know, but if it is healthier people that we want then maybe its worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

44% of journal readers who always seem a bit mad for the auld restrictions ( if the comment section is anything to go by).

It hilarious to suggest that any newspaper reader can be considered "young", even if its the online version.

Believe me, the kids aren't reading the Journal in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

These comments and the language throughout this is unsettling

Your addressing people here who have endured the globes longest lockdowns since March 2020

Of course the irony is that the number 1 risk factor for severe illness from Covid is obesity, an illness caused by lifestyle choices

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, if you're pro restrictions, going further makes sense as what was announced yesterday does nothing. I'd be more questioning the 18% who seem to think yesterday was fine. It should have been nothing or more. Half assing definitely won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I forgot to add to my earlier message about yesterday's measures, nothing said about ventilation.

Have we lost the messaging about ventilation?

In the past week I've seen buses pass me by and windows closed, taxis pass me by with passengers masked up and windows closed. An ambulance passed me yesterday and two drivers both masked up and windows closed. Was in a small chemist and door completely shut as well and it could have been easily propped open to let fresh air in.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

The Journal should never never be used as a guide of how society in general is thinking as it bans people who don't abide by their narrative rendering their polling useless.

The evidence is clear. Ivermectin doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yesterday was just about preparing the public for further restrictions. Everybody knows what was introduced yesterday will have absolutely no bearing on case numbers, if they happen to go down then it will be purely by chance that they introduced these measures at the peak of the wave. Give it two weeks and you'll be hearing the phrases meaningful Christmas and maybe even wet pubs again.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

What a hypocritical post.

You got that right, memory does seem to be a problem in these threads the amount of sneering coming from yourself is quite evident in this thread too. Did you forget about that?

Yes there are quite a few ‘lockdown merchants’ in the thread. It’s seems lockdown is their only solution and when asked how long should we stay in lockdown for( because the virus is here permanently) they never reply with an answer.

I’m sure your posts aimed at me will be getting lots of likes from the usual click and the back slappers on here.

But thank you for your good wishes toward my possible new life.

Not my source of choice but regularly get links from the not so young. They've been around since 2010 and are an alternative to the more established media.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Can you give me a source to the peer reviewed trials that show it doesn't work? As I say I know there have been trials but none that were peer reviewed and one that was clearly overestimating it and completely wrong in how it was carried out.

Alternative? They lead with the same stories as RTE and the Irish Times but try to cater for a younger audience.

If they didn't they'd be making it up! They don't have the establishment tinge for some people plus there are those go there for the comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Probably, but government really need to just sh1t or get off the pot tbh. If you're unwilling to make hard decisions, you shouldn't be leading.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's funny to see people scrambling to believe there's something askew with the journal's poll because it doesn't suit them. It can be ignored because its badly vulnerable to selection bias or brigading, not because it doesn't match your personal sentiment.

There are whole pile of little echo chambers everywhere;

On here you've a load of people claiming that the problem is the Government's failure to open up sooner.

On Twitter you've a load of people claiming the problem is the Government opening too soon.

Goes to show that everyone thinks they know the answer, but nobody really does.

===============

More recent data on admissions from the HSE today. 57% of those in ICU are not fully vaccinated. (52% unvaxxed, 5% 1 dose).

98% of those fully vaccinated and in ICU, are immunocompromised.

That last stat in particular tells us that the vaccines are working as effectively as they did in the trials.

It also gives a really clear and obvious way to reduce the pressure on hospitals:

1. Booster programme for the medically vulnerable, today. This could reduce ICU admissions by up to 40%
    2. Aggressive targetting of the unvaccinated to get vaccinated. It seems like Austria might be onto something here. Perhaps we should enforce covid certs for all indoor activities. Put the unvaccinated on a winter lockdown; restricted to click & collect or deliveries only. Perhaps their kids should be shifted back to online learning until the New Year. This could reduce ICU admissions by up to 60%.

Sounds a bit mad, but the numbers don't lie. Restricting older people alone wouldn't be enough. All of the pressure on hospitals is coming from unvaccinated adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Advertisement