Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Low vaccination rates and loose restrictions really starting to bite in Germany now. Hospitals reporting that they're out of ICU beds and full up with unvaccinated cases.

Restrictions on the unvaccinated through winter seem inevitable in most of Europe now. The step nobody wanted to take, but the numbers don't lie; the pressure on hospitals is almost entirely down to the unvaccinated.

You can either restrict everyone to protect the unvaccinated or restrict the unvaccinated to protect themselves. The choice is obvious.

We might squeak through without having to. Just about rescued by our high uptake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

How do you restrict unvaccinated ? Even if we wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

You can either restrict everyone to protect the unvaccinated or restrict the unvaccinated to protect themselves. The choice is obvious.

how about no restrictions for anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Yeah, grand, and accept the high death rate when ICU can't cope.

Random checks by Gardai on the streets and a big fine if youre unvaccinated and are outside of your home for a non essential reason

crazy stuff but being done in Austria already

• Advertisement

Read the title of that box. It's in reference to specific underlying conditions, not all underlying conditions. A BMI greater than 40 is morbid obesity, the condition to which the table refers.

Nowhere defines obesity as over 40, that's just your misleading interpretation. HSE defines obesity as over 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Will you make an effort to reduce your social contacts in the lead up to Christmas?

Poll Results:

Yes (577) 68%

No (233) 27%

I'm not sure (35)

@ 45 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Always thought obesity was categorised as over 35 myself, and over 40 was like the more serious form. Think they used 35 for cohort 7 and 40 for cohort 4.

How does that work then? When there are more people than the ICUs can cope with, what do we do then?

Like I say, we might squeak by this time, but if our vax rates were lower; say 80%; our ICU numbers would be approaching 200 at the moment, virtually all available capacity in the system completely exhausted, and no sign of any easing.

What would we do then?

That's the reality that some other countries are facing.

They did for the purpose of the vaccines. But if you look at the table Fintan posted there was a logic to that. Morbid Obesity is a risk, but the risk associated with it is lower than all the other conditions they looked at with the exception of liver disease, so you can conclude that less severe obesity isn't that big a risk factor comparatively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Same thing we do every year when ICU and hospital beds run out due to flu and other seasonal infections.

This has been happening every winter for decades - hospitals overflowing with patients on trolleys, people dying in hallways. That is the "old normal"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospitals up 9 to 643 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Concerning report on RTE radio yesterday evening that vaccination take up has been poor among the travelling community in Ireland. Likely not unique in them as other various ethnic groups seem to have low take up as well, maybe due to language barriers.

What's concerning about the travellers though is that they already often live in cramped conditions, have on the whole poorer health. Were noticeably 'happy go lucky' with the restrictions both last year and earlier this year as regards large gatherings.

Are there any figures on what percentages they are making up of hospital & ICU admissions for Covid related illness?

I don't want to be targeting one particular group.. but if there is a problem, this has to be sorted pronto for the sake of the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

I think we should restrict the movements of the unvaccinated, and everyone who is eligible for a booster but hasn’t taken one.

That means almost everyone under 80, along with the 40% of 12-15 year olds unvaccinated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Speaking as someone who is vaccinated, it is a frightening route for society to take to restrict one group based on personal choice.

In the health vs freedom debate, health is winning for the 1st time in history

Where does it stop?

A significant number of illnesses are due to lifestyle choices.

Obesity, smoking & alcohol related illness likely make up the majority of hospital patient issues since the beginning of modern healthcare.

It's easy to restrictions people based on those metrics to reduce pressure on our health service.

Young healthy unvaccinated should not have movements restricted. I'd say you could count on one finger how many fit healthy under 40s needed ICU support.

On the other hand, the unvaccinated and unhealthy, (the ones likely in ICU), should really understand the risks.

The definition is important, unvaccinated and healthy/ unvaccinated and unhealthy, so if we are planning stop the free movement of the unvaccinated, we must define the risk level 1st

Edit: I'm referring more to Europe.

All Ireland did was punish and restrict the vaccinated this week, that's the funny part

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So yesterday there was reports there was only 1 person in ICU who was fully vaxxed with no underlying health conditions ,

SO the vaccine are helping to stop people getting very sick

But in Roy Keane style that one person needs to have a hard look in the mirror and sort there **** out & stop letting the side down, come on whoever you are get your act together & get yourself out of ICU ....(im joking...kind of )

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

I think we should restrict people who share this thought process

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

It’s unfortunately what needs to be done. Those who choose not to take the booster must now be considered anti-vaxxers. Because that’s what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

I was listening to that yesterday, the traveller was talking all the rumours and misinformation that some travellers believe. One of them was that the vaccine turns you magnetic and cutlery will stick to you. Not a million miles away from some of the rubbish spouted on this forum on a daily basis. Misinformation is absolutely rampant nowadays unfortunately. It's sad so many people hear something on a facebook group or whatsapp and instantly believe it without even attempting to fact check it which in most cases can be done in seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

It is already happening to an extent.

I'm finding that those who gone to the extreme on this whole thing are starting to not get invited on nights out. It is too much hassle with arguments and complaining if you are in a venue that might not be sticking completely rigid to the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Its a bit lazy to go back around to be fair.

I mean we've already blamed the travellers, would have thought they could have come up with some new bogeymen to distract everyone.

Guess it will be turn of shebheens again soon, followed by another round of the unvaxxed when the boosters are rolled out and then a new rap version of "we all partied at Christmas dont ye know"

The vast majority can't because we have barely started on the over 70s so this is really not much of a plan. Outcomes for the younger groups generally do not mean hospitalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Other years are an entirely different scenario. We have never run out of ICU beds. Yes, people have been left on trollies . These are sick but are admitted immediately if urgent treatment is needed. This is what triage does but it would run out of road if Covid was let run riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Nope, that rubbish is why we aren't actually going to solve the problem

Obesity is the cause not the symptom.

Obesity is a result of poor lifestyle choices.

The only reason morbid obesity was a lower stat in ICU is because so few are actually that size. They dont survive long.

Whats the stats readjusted for a BMI of 30???

There was a very interesting report published I'll link it here

https://www.worldobesityday.org/assets/downloads/COVID-19_and_Obesity-The_2021_Atlas.pdf

As we show in this report, increased bodyweight is the second greatest predictor of hospitalisation and a high risk of death for people suffering from COVID-19. Only old age rates as a higher risk factor. The unprecedented economic costs of COVID-19 are largely due to the measures taken to avoid the excess hospitalisation and need for treatment of the disease. Reducing one major risk factor, overweight, would have resulted in far less stress on health services and reduced the need to protect those services from being overwhelmed.

We show that in those countries where overweight affects only a minority of the adult population, the rates of death from COVID-19 are typically less than one tenth the levels found in countries where overweight affects the majority of adults. We also show that the drivers of overweight – especially high levels of consumption of processed foods – are associated with mortality from COVID-19.Lastly, we show that COVID-19 is not a special case: a number of other respiratory viruses lead to more severe consequences in people living with excess bodyweight, giving good reasons to expect the next pandemic to have similar effects. 

Interestingly, a study in the UK found that for people with a BMI of 35 to 40, risk of death from COVID-19 increases by 40% and with a BMI over 40 by 90%, compared to those not living with obesity. Other data found that in intensive care units, 7.9% of critically ill patients with COVID-19 had a BMI over 40 compared with 2.9% of the general population.

If we are serious about relieving the pressure on the health service for the next few years, one simple measure could help us achieve that

As I say, I'm mostly talking about other countries who don't have the luxury of a 90%+ vaccination rate.

Using surge capacity is normal for us, but ICU patients specifically on A&E trollies and dying in hallways, is not. We scrape through by the skin of our teeth with ICUs full to the brim. And it's quite likely we will this year too.

I've already said exactly what you said in my previous posts. That Ireland's current situation is not far departed from a typical Winter, so based on current figures we can just get the head down and get through.

But if we had lower vaccination rates, it wouldn't be a typical Winter. Even as it is, the burden being placed on our health system by 10% unvaccinated, is immense. If that was 15%, we'd have to forget about coping and think about new measures.

That's the reality for many EU countries at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Fair play Bertie. We've a couple of house parties arranged this weekend after the staff Xmas party had hoped it would be a late one in Dublin city centre but the twitchers have won out again so needs must. Life goes on 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

The vaccine turns you magnetic and cutlery sticks to you! 😂😂 How can anyone believe that ? I’m sorry you can say misinformation is rife and damaging. I’d agree but theres no excuse for swallowing that . You’d have to be Neolithic man to believe that .

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Coppers opening from 6pm to midnight. Nice to see them call the Governments bluff. Close them or dont €€

Advertisement