Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Private test centres must be really happy with Tony.

Separately, is Tony omnipotent? How could he possibly know that 1 in 6 Irish people have symptoms of covid in the past week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Your dad who is aged over 70 is in the very high risk category even if he doesn't have any underlying conditions. The vaccines provide him with a great risk reduction but the fact there is declining month on month efficacy before he has had his booster and question marks over our health system to weather huge levels of community transmission it is understandable and not doom-mongering for anyone in those aged groupings to be demonstrating extra levels of caution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

I often get a sore throat that lasts 2 or 3 days, maybe 1-2 times a month so that would be a lot of PCR tests...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

You posted the the other day with the same screenshot trying to make out that anyone immunocomprised (which by reports is 99% of those fully vaccinated in ICU) were not being counted as a breakthrough infection. As if they were being omitted on the HPSC reports.

I've never posted or screenshotted these reports before, you're mixing me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Johnlynch1970

couldnt care less anymore about this or the propehts of doom, off to Spain and work remotely if these lunatics lock us down again,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

My apologies, it must have been someone else, was the exact screenshot and very similar wording used.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Heading over myself soon, they are seeing rising numbers in hospitals but seem confident of not locking down. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's up there with him cleaning his glasses with his mask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

A good question

Nice contrast between Tony & Paul Reid

Mr Reid told the HSE's weekly briefing that testing levels at the moment are "beyond anybody's expectations", adding that in the last seven days over 200,000 tests have been carried out.

Yet Tony wants to quadruple that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Up to 50% not attending booster jab appointments - HSE

The Chief Executive of the Health Service Executive has said there is an "early phenomenon" of high non-attendance for Covid-19 vaccine booster appointments.

In some centres, Paul Reid said, the figure is as high as 50%.

"Certainly we are seeing ... people not coming forward for a high number of appointments made and it's really important if you're offered a booster appointment, that you take it up," he told a HSE media briefing.

"We have seen some no-show rates and some centres varying from 25% to 50%.

"It's a really important call to everybody ... we are going to be dealing with significant numbers of the population and we need those appointments utilised."

Mr Reid said the non-attendance may be "due to a sense of security among people feeling they have had two vaccines and don't need a booster."

Not a good sign when boosters currently been given to older people, healthcare staff and those immunocomprised

Wait until they try the younger healthier cohorts

This is a good observation. I think it highlights a general gap in attitudes between the young and the not so young on this.

My son had a cold last week, the look he gave his Mum when she walked into his room with a mask was half withering disdain and half pity for what she is now reduced to.

I wonder what they will say about this period of their life when they are in their 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

they will go for pcr test though as get days off work

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Enjoy, the break from here will do you good 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Looks like majority of younger people won't take 3rd dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Thats good to hear if true but I've a hard time believing any of the numbers or stats coming from the HSE tbh.

I think the young people will take the booster for the same reason most of them took the vaccine, because they are forced to choose between the shot and a social life.

The main drop off will be in the 40 to 50 group, because many in that group don't care about the pub and are fed up with the coercion.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Yes that’s my reading of it, although it’s not completely clear. But all it needs is an internal directive from HSE to those responsible for reporting on hospital/ICU figures that need not necessitate being making public, or the extra analysis of age/immune system status from admissions to make deductions.

Similar to the confusion in the beginning and for most of 2020 with classification of Covid deaths when you had posters insisting that autopsies were carried out and deaths declassified if ultimate cause of death was other than Covid, or that deaths were only included when Covid was listed as ‘cause of death’, when in fact if you died and had contracted Covid but were not declared fully recovered then you were a Covid death in stats.

Understandably there’s a difference between data for surveillance purposes and data for public information purposes. They can be at odds (how many died with/from, how many admissions because of/contracted after admission).

Off the back of NIAC considering immunosuppressed not being fully vaccinated until after dose three of a three dose regime - I’m wondering now does that extend to all those for whom a booster would form jab 3 of a 3 jab vaccination? Logically they are not ‘fully vaccinated’.

Question seriously needs to be asked - who is ‘not vaccinated’ according to HSE current criteria?

So you expect their covid passes to be invalidated soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Obviously there is a frenzy of testing going on. Given that 90% are negative, why don't some people just not bother getting tested?

Covid seeking. It's a national pastime at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Loads are not bothering. I’ve also heard of positive cases being threatened by those who they named close contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not endemic. That would be you spouting rubbish.

Endemic as has been explained many times is when it is under control apart from the odd small outbreak.

We are far from that.

Obesity is a risk factor which is way down the list of risk factors and conditions in Ireland. Maybe where you are they are morbidly obese.

I don't know. I don't care. I have countered this ridiculous misinformation and rubbish from you and Fintan and ignored some others who never have a coherent word to say mostly anyhow. I don't consider you and him in that but am not on the same page opinion wise.

I have stated a fact which is the current situation and has been for the past months since vaccination, but because it doesn't fit so easily into the " we are young, fit and invincible " narrative it is being shot down by you guys.

I get it, ye go to the gym and like to think that eating healthily will protect you. It is good but it doesn't replace vaccinations.

We have had a lot of younger and fit people sick both in hospital and ICU recently.. Unvaccinated.. Fact.

Fine. Ignore what I am saying and call it rubbish.

I generally do the same when I disagree.

Edit . Your last point I did not address. It is as ignorant to blame a nurse for the failings of the HSE as it is to call another poster sanctimonious because you don't agree with her viewpoint. Nor is it correct because I am not expressing an opinion , but a fact , again which you and others do not appear to be aware of , but not my fault .

I have no power or control over the inner workings of the HSE and that point was a totally irrelevant and malicious aside to someone who replied to you in good faith .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

I do think that will happen very early next year. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I see we are back to blaming the students again🤦‍♂️

Seems only inevitable. It'll be interesting to see how revoking the passes is actually received. Meekly I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

We hear a lot that the unvaccinated account for 40% of ICU occupancy. That is a spectacularly high number to provide without explanation. Has NPHET offered any explanation for the make-up of that 40% unvaccinated cohort?  

Back of envelope speculations:

- This 40% must be "suffering from" Covid; rather than "suffering with" Covid. (The "suffering with" cohort - patients admitted for hip replacements, etc., who catch Covid whilst in hospital - would be dominated by the 90+% fully vaccinated population. The unvaccinated are only a drop in that ocean.)

- For the margin of error here, we can exclude anyone in Ireland 60+ or those with underlying conditions as they will have taken the vaccine. Under 20s are also not significant here.

- They cannot be the fully vaccinated for whom the vaccine efficacy has diminished. There aren't published expiry dates for the various vaccines and so don't think there's a way to reclassify those affected as "unvaccinated".  

- These 40% unvaccinated ICU patients then are 20 - 60 year olds who have been struck down by Covid! Perhaps the lifting of lockdown restrictions has exposed this group to Delta Covid and are now suffering much more severely. I am skeptical though as this would be clearly identifiable on hospital admission forms - and if this were really the case then I'm certain NPHET would not have been so quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

Testing frenzy should of been going on when the bodies were being set alight in India and when the UK was getting hit at the end of May. No good now is it when it is running wild everywhere for the last few months.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement