Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

speckle wrote: »
    On a totally different note Us Prez...just ordered new investigation into the covid laboratory leak hypothesis.

So is Biden a conspiracy theorist now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

I think theres a bit of hysteria in this thread towards people urging caution
    I havent seen any study on jaannsen and the Indian variant yet
    I'm just advocating that a speedier 2nd dose of Astra is imperative now

You're comment is misdirected. I'm all for caution and seeing how things play out in the UK. I have no quarrel with you. You mentioned that older groups who have received only one dose of AZ will not have the best protection over the summer. The article I linked could be of general interest, however, because it indicates that one dose of AZ may offer more protection that any other single dose, including Janssen. The mRNA vaccines have higher efficacy after two doses, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

That statement will cause serious consternation

yep. the "covid is no worse than the flu" was a dumb and false take that i regularly called out until the last few weeks, when it actually became true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

So is Biden a conspiracy theorist now?

Aswell as all the scientists now asking the same question including some of those who originally said no ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see "Cohort 7" seems to be the latest excuse to keep a noose around the countries neck. I wonder what will be next, when "cohort 7" are done what will the national excuse be then?

• Advertisement

Dr. Em wrote: »
    You're comment is misdirected. I'm all for caution and seeing how things play out in the UK. I have no quarrel with you. You mentioned that older groups who have received only one dose of AZ will not have the best protection over the summer. The article I linked could be of general interest, however, because it indicates that one dose of AZ may offer more protection that any other single dose, including Janssen. The mRNA vaccines have higher efficacy after two doses, of course.

I wasn't directing it at you,moreso explaining my take on this
    I think theres 100's of 1000's at risk who have been very careful in the last year and could now fall at the last hurdle if their plight is just glossed over,single dose Astra's and unvaccinated cohort 7's

Its not an argument for more lock down on their behalf,its an argument for keeping the pcr test rule ex UK and for prioritising fully protecting the remaining most vulnerable
    Also to consider is many of our HCW's are heading beyond 6 months soon from their vacinations as are care homes
    Ball dropping in a rush to go balooba's is not a good idea in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭saabsaab

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    75% of the *new* cases in UK are the Indian variant, according to sky news.

Semms to have taken over from the Brazil and UK variants. We have over 100 cases here hopefully it won't spread much here with the vaccination programme. I wonder where the next variant will come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

The indian variant is 75% of cases now in GB
    People in their 50s and 60s who got astrazenica are going to be poorly protected all summer as that variant takes hold here and it will
    Theres a strong case for 2nd dosing them sooner and giving jaansen excusively to under 50s along with pfizer and moderna at this stage

Very few people in the UK over 50 will not have had a second dose by now or offered one.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

On a totally different note Us Prez...just ordered new investigation into the covid laboratory leak hypothesis.
    Why doesn't this have its own thread? By the standards of moderation here: if I open a thread about Joe Biden's announcement, and Anthony Fauci no longer being confident that it has a natural origin, as widely reported across ALL news channels today, should it still get sent to Conspiracy Theories like the other threads have?

I see "Cohort 7" seems to be the latest excuse to keep a noose around the countries neck. I wonder what will be next, when "cohort 7" are done what will the national excuse be then?
    They're the last vulnerable group awaiting vaccination, that's hardly fair now is it?

• Advertisement

Very few people in the UK over 50 will not have had a second dose by now or offered one.

Thats it
    Much bigger risk over here,Astra 1 dose people here aged 50 plus really do need to have that 12 weeks down to 8 and cohort 7's need doing
    Those things can be sorted coinciding with opening the economy more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

saabsaab wrote: »
    Semms to have taken over from the Brazil and UK variants. We have over 100 cases here hopefully it won't spread much here with the vaccination programme. I wonder where the next variant will come from?

South America I'd imagine. The situation Worldwide is not good atm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Allinall

I take it you’re hale and hearty.

Pity you can’t add sensitivity to those qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

This is in the UK tonight. Meanwhile I wont be allowed turn on the juke box here in July

https://twitter.com/phillbarrs/status/1397976942905860103?s=19

They're the last vulnerable group awaiting vaccination, that's hardly fair now is it?

Are they? Do you not care about the vulnerable people who might fall outside the defined cohort 7?

For some there will always be more vulnerable people.

I fully expect that when the HSE finally decide to release the current death figures that we will find that the covid death rate has already dropped to effectively zero. Just as predicted, and yet it won't matter, we will still have that boot on our neck because some people will always be looking to the next scariant or using some cohort as justification for further restrictions.

Vaccines clearly have already broken the back of this pandemic, we do not need to wait until every single last potentially vulnerable person on the island is fully vaccinated.

Allinall wrote: »
    I take it you’re hale and hearty.

Pity you can’t add sensitivity to those qualities.

Virtue signalling nonsense.

It must break your heart to know that over 30000 people die in Ireland every year.

You need BOTH doses to be fully protected.
    It’s getting predictable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

We're doing well. Once we don't have a pint after 11.30pm. That will screw it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭Allinall

Virtue signalling nonsense.

It must break your heart to know that over 30000 people die in Ireland every year.

Why would it?

Are you that desperate to go for a pint?

Are they? Do you not care about the vulnerable people who might fall outside the defined cohort 7?

For some there will always be more vulnerable people.

I fully expect that when the HSE finally decide to release the current death figures that we will find that the covid death rate has already dropped to effectively zero. Just as predicted, and yet it won't matter, we will still have that boot on our neck because some people will always be looking to the next scariant or using some cohort as justification for further restrictions.

Vaccines clearly have already broken the back of this pandemic, we do not need to wait until every single last potentially vulnerable person on the island is fully vaccinated.
    Cohort 7 were identified because of the moderate-high risk they are at based on a huge review of the evidence over the past year. That number has dwindled rapidly, but still thousands left to do. In Drogheda, there were over 1000 over 60s waiting on a dose today as reported in the dáil. These two situations are going to be dealt with in the next 3 weeks roughly. While that's going on, we can and should be reopening up.

• Advertisement

Why would it?

Ah that tired old argument again…

Why would it?

Such a pathetic response.

"I don't care about the livelihoods of others provided mine is unaffected".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Surely the older people in cohort 7 are also getting vaccinated via the over 45 portal. Not ideal but at least they're not being totally neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"I don't care about the livelihoods of others provided mine is unaffected".

prunudo wrote: »
    Surely the older people in cohort 7 are also getting vaccinated via the over 45 portal. Not ideal but at least they're not being totally neglected.
    Yeah the older ones, not the younger ones with better-controlled T1DM or obesity for example. Hospitals have targeted different patients arbitrarily, some relying on the most recent blood test (when blood tests/clinics were being cancelled in 2020), others just by merely being on their list of patients without regards to other criteria.

Why doesn't this have its own thread? By the standards of moderation here: if I open a thread about Joe Biden's announcement, and Anthony Fauci no longer being confident that it has a natural origin, as widely reported across ALL news channels today, should it still get sent to Conspiracy Theories like the other threads have?

It really should have its own thread here..one was started but ended up not being a totally serious conversation ?(possibly got bogged down with entrenched geo political issues?)and got transfered to CA from what I remember if correct.

yes it should have its own thread to look at and discuss all the surrounding evidence ..circumstantial and scientific from all possible angles and hypotheses (plural).

I have been adding the odd post here.....as whatever the outcomes they may have
    -potential effects on the science community re research/funding
    -future pandemic policys
    -geo political sitation
    - wildlife policy
    - how r and d maybe useful or misused
    and most importantly possibly treatments especially for those who cannot take vaccines or have post viral issues etc.

Also I think some of the public are tired now of everything or concentrating on the rollout and some dont understand all its ramifications... or see it as a binary geo political issue?

I would love some of the more science heads here to contribute... to learn more so as to be able follow the experts as they discuss the details worldwide and be able to delve in to everything I have saved over the last 15 months at a deeper level by discussing it from all sides of all hypotheses.

We need to know whatever the outcome(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Will there/has there be/been much leaks from tomorrow’s announcement?

Anything around travel?

I guess with them extending the hotel mandatory quarantine they’ll be strict enough on travel.

It really should have its own thread here..one was started but ended up not being a totally serious conversation ?(possibly got bogged down with entrenched geo political issues?)and got transfered to CA from what I remember if correct.

yes it should have its own thread to look at and discuss all the surrounding evidence ..circumstantial and scientific from all possible angles and hypotheses (plural).

I have been adding the odd post here.....as whatever the outcomes they may have
    -potential effects on the science community re research/funding
    -future pandemic policys
    -geo political sitation
    - wildlife policy
    - how r and d maybe useful or misused
    and most importantly possibly treatments especially for those who cannot take vaccines or have post viral issues etc.

Also I think some of the public are tired now of everything or concentrating on the rollout and some dont understand all its ramifications... or see it as a binary geo political issue?

I would love some of the more science heads here to contribute... to learn more so as to be able follow the experts as they discuss the details worldwide and be able to delve in to everything I have saved over the last 15 months at a deeper level by discussing it from all sides of all hypotheses.

We need to know whatever the outcome(s).
    if you are qualified enough in this field, you're more than likely working long days and nights in academia, dealing with funding, grants, projects, paper submissions, and potentially extra burdens directly from covid. All of my relevant friends are in that situation, busy either working or trying to survive and not posting on Boards.ie

• Advertisement

if you are qualified enough in this field, you're more than likely working long days and nights in academia, dealing with funding, grants, projects, paper submissions, and potentially extra burdens directly from covid. All of my relevant friends are in that situation, busy either working or trying to survive and not posting on Boards.ie

Very true..but yet I still think it should be discussed by more 'ordinary' folk as all the potential hypotheses and their ramifications will effect us the public...so we need to know what they are talking about...

Advertisement