Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

What is it with this Government and NEPHET and antigen testing ? There has to be a sinister reason behind it at this stage. Shocking stuff.

https://twitter.com/alanGbrereton/status/1397863842495991811?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

What is it with this Government and NEPHET and antigen testing ? There has to be a sinister reason behind it at this stage. Shocking stuff.

It's puzzling alright but sinister?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

prunudo wrote: »
    Surely the older people in cohort 7 are also getting vaccinated via the over 45 portal. Not ideal but at least they're not being totally neglected.

Think of all the 18 -45 year olds in cohort 7
    With Cystic Fibrosis , Type 1 diabetics , young transplant patients , young people with congenital heart defects , young people who are immuno compromised etc
    All waiting to get vaccinated and no help from the HSE helpline or from GPs
    I dont think many are aware of the sheer neglect of this cohort and the upset and anxiety it is causing

They were assigned cohort 7 for a reason and now forgotten and left behind other groups

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Might prove to better to be cautious with re-opening given what this Indian Variant is going to do in area's with low 2 dose vaccination rates.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1397995388267810818

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    With Cystic Fibrosis , Type 1 diabetics , young transplant patients , young people with congenital heart defects , young people who are immuno compromised etc
    I dont think many are aware of the sheer neglect of this cohort and the upset and anxiety it is causing

My wife is in cohort 7 I presume. 28 years old with blood clotting issue. Got her second dose last week. Just because you haven't got yours yet doesn't mean anything

• Advertisement

My wife is in cohort 7 I presume. 28 years old with blood clotting issue. Got her second dose last week. Just because you haven't got yours yet doesn't mean anything

I am not in cohort 7 . I got mine thank you
    And just because your wife got it doesn’t mean others did. There are many in that group whos GP’s are not vaccinating group 7 . They are left in limbo .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I believe what that is the EU have detailed self tests (Antigen) for travel purposes are not permitted for the present

All tests whether PCR or Antigen must be undertaken and verified by a professional service
    Quote:
    Which tests will be accepted?

So-called *NAAT tests (including RT-PCR tests) and rapid antigen tests will be recognised. For the time being, this will not include self-tests.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/21/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-eu-s-covid-travel-pass

So nothing 'sinister'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

No it is clear the Donnelly either didn't know that the EU was allowing antigen testing as part of the Digital Green Cert or he did but was attempting to push sticking with PCR testing alone despite the fact that there is no scientific basis for this. Whatever way you look at it the guy is looking more out of touch as the days go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Am over focussed on this myself, but has anyone actually read the reason for the 105 minutes - the health advice/reasoning for it?

Am over focussed on this myself, but has anyone actually read the reason for the 105 minutes - the health advice/reasoning for it?

Apparently Covid gets tetchy in close quarters and hails a taxi. A fickle creature but a cheap date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Apparently Covid gets tetchy in close quarters and hails a taxi. A fickle creature but a cheap date.

Thanks! And, while I'm at it, what happens to me at 11.35pm? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

They were assigned cohort 7 for a reason and now forgotten and left behind other groups

I know .Our family GP practice has been amazing and super organised getting all their over 70s , group 4 and 7s done , and many others have been si good all over the country
    Then there were some GPs opting out after the over 70s and the HSE let them away with that without their patients being referred properly for immunusation in the MVCs as a matter of urgency . Crazy stuff .
    I can't understand how this was / is being allowed to happen .
    Some of these young people are cocooning and forgotten about .

Thanks! And, while I'm at it, what happens to me at 11.35pm? :D

Staff have had enough of your Covid aerosols at that stage and you get turfed out.

gozunda wrote: »
    I believe what that details is that the EU have detailed that self tests (Antigen) for travel purposes are not permitted for the present

All tests whether PCR or Antigen must be undertaken and verified by a professional service
    Quote:

https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/21/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-eu-s-covid-travel-pass

So nothing 'sinister'

Only " sinister " thing is the little our Minister for Health actually knows or maybe is allowed to know ?

The indian variant is 75% of cases now in GB
    People in their 50s and 60s who got astrazenica are going to be poorly protected all summer as that variant takes hold here and it will
    Theres a strong case for 2nd dosing them sooner and giving jaansen excusively to under 50s along with pfizer and moderna at this stage

I presume this has translated into large increases in cases and hospitalisations in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

“Young” transplant patients started to get vaccinated 2 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I am not in cohort 7 . I got mine thank you
    And just because your wife got it doesn’t mean others did. There are many in that group whos GP’s are not vaccinating group 7 . They are left in limbo .

If there is a minuscule number of vulnerable not vaccinated due to some obscure reason we can be sure it will be used to support an argument that we need to continue as the most suppressed nation in Europe

I presume this has translated into large increases in cases and hospitalisations in the uk?

No . Apparently up by 19% in the last 7 days hospitalisation but from a lower base .
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare
    Cases yes , doubled in last week
    Edit that is cases of Indian variant .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Goldengirl wrote: »
    No . Apparently up by 19% in the last 7 days hospitalisation but from a lower base .
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare
    Cases yes , doubled in last week .

Cases up 20%, hospitalisation up 20%, deaths up 14% week on week. As you mention from extremely low figures, especially the hospital and deaths.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Cases up 20%, hospitalisation up 20%, deaths up 14% week on week. As you mention from extremely low figures, especially the hospital and deaths.

Thanks have corrected my post as regards cases.

• Advertisement

So a scenario could emerge that under 50’s are better protected all summer than the 60-69 years old who are waiting for 2nd dose AZ until July

So a scenario could emerge that under 50’s are better protected all summer than the 60-69 years old who are waiting for 2nd dose AZ until July

All depends, define better protected.
    We could have had a scenario where 60-69's are vaccinated with mRNA and everyone else under 60 would be delayed by at least 3 weeks.

All depends, define better protected.
    We could have had a scenario where 60-69's are vaccinated with mRNA and everyone else under 60 would be delayed by at least 3 weeks.

60 -69 year old are vaccinated with AZ first dose now . Most not due 2nd dose until mid July . Leaving them less protected from Indian variant than those who got Pfizer

Chatting earlier with a friend in his early 60s who feels he was dealt a bad card by AZ vaccine, conceivably getting left behind people twenty years younger for the second jab. Another government masterstroke to add to the collection. Reeling In The Years will have some job in the editing room, trimming down all the farcical slapstick. They won't even need a laugh track to accompany the 105 minute hospitality limit/chugging pints in the rain, people will be roaring on the couch a few years from now.

Chatting earlier with a friend in his early 60s who feels he was dealt a bad card by AZ vaccine, conceivably getting left behind people twenty years younger for the second jab. Another government masterstroke .

He is not alone in feeling like that . Increasingly that age group are getting frustrated at the gap in doses leaving them exposed to infection

60 -69 year old are vaccinated with AZ first dose now . Most not due 2nd dose until mid July . Leaving them less protected from Indian variant than those who got Pfizer

Yes I'm aware they were vaccinated with AZ.
    But the Indian variant is not dominant here, NIAC cannot see the future and plan for the worst case scenario. They want to get as many people vaccinated as fast as possible. Had they had a time machine, well things could be different.

If 60-69 were given mRNA and AZ was scrapped, we would need to allocate 570k doses of mRNA vaccines to that group.

With second doses just finishing up for over 70's and second doses starting on Cohort 4, I don't think they would have had the supply or capacity to run the 50-59 first doses along side second doses for 60-69 without delaying under 60's for weeks. Leaving some of them completely unprotected!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

wadacrack wrote: »
    Might prove to better to be cautious with re-opening given what this Indian Variant is going to do in area's with low 2 dose vaccination rates.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1397995388267810818

But is the cause the Indian variant.... or the fact that England opened up pubs, restaurants, crowds at football matches etc.. etc.... about 3-4 weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭celt262

Chatting earlier with a friend in his early 60s who feels he was dealt a bad card by AZ vaccine, conceivably getting left behind people twenty years younger for the second jab. Another government masterstroke to add to the collection. Reeling In The Years will have some job in the editing room, trimming down all the farcical slapstick. They won't even need a laugh track to accompany the 105 minute hospitality limit/chugging pints in the rain, people will be roaring on the couch a few years from now.

Of course and if it had of been done any other way you would have been on here saying it was farcical been over cautious over a variety that doesn't even exist!

Yes I'm aware they were vaccinated with AZ.
    But the Indian variant is not dominant here, NIAC cannot see the future and plan for the worst case scenario. They want to get as many people vaccinated as fast as possible. Had they had a time machine, well things could be different.

If 60-69 were given mRNA and AZ was scrapped, we would need to allocate 570k doses of mRNA vaccines to that group.

With second doses just finishing up for over 70's and second doses starting on Cohort 4, I don't think they would have had the supply or capacity to run the 50-59 first doses along side second doses for 60-69 without delaying under 60's for weeks. Leaving some of them completely unprotected!

I didnt mention giving them mRNA vaccine ? But the AZ second dose could be brought to 8 weeks maybe

• Advertisement

I didn't mention giving them mRNA vaccine ? But the AZ second dose could be brought to 8 weeks maybe

You also never mentioned shortening the gap. You just said less protected, until you edited your post to add in the Indian variant.
    Anyway It's still under constant review by NIAC.
    There's still about ~180k HCW's and about 60k Cohort 4, getting their second AZ doses about now. AZ haven't been the most reliable with deliveries. If NIAC decided tomorrow to shorten the gap for 60-69, they need to be sure they have the AZ supplies to do that!

AZ is supply limited, priority should be giving second doses to HCW's and those in Cohort 4 who got AZ and are due their second jab.

Advertisement