Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Waiting for George Lees follow up to this speech.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If Michéal Martin's arms were long enough, he'd pat himself on the back. Most conservative government in Europe by a distance. Our nearest neighbours have shamed them into action, albeit at a snail's pace.

Ah cheer up....hard to find negatives in the latest updates and yet people try

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

19th July is our Independence Day.

19th July
    Galway liberated from Indians
    Marathon becomes snickers
    Ice age ends

Ireland freed from Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If Michéal Martin's arms were long enough, he'd pat himself on the back. Gormless smirk on him, not one iota of shame. Most conservative government in Europe by a distance. Our nearest neighbours have shamed them into action, albeit at a snail's pace.

Yes, we know. You don't like him and you never liked restrictions.

I'm no fan of his but you'd find fault no matter what he said or what point in the recovery we find ourselves at.

I wouldn't have his job for anything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

TheDoctor wrote: »
    19th July
    Galway liberated from Indians
    Marathon becomes snickers
    Ice age ends

Ireland freed from Covid

That's brilliant - I always said you could write a sit - com about this government-they've just proven it.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yes, we know. You don't like him and you never liked restrictions.

I'm no fan of his but you'd find fault no matter what he said or what point in the recovery we find ourselves at.

I wouldn't have his job for anything.

What sane and rational human likes restrictions? Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

So it’s confirmed that it’s a slower relaxation than last year

Does MM know there is a vaccine?

Laughable that there is now a discussion on Matt Cooper about how can we pay back the massive sums of money borrowed

Not a word about the cost until now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cinemas on the 7th, yes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Laughable that there is now a discussion on Matt Cooper about how can we pay back the massive sums of money borrowed

It's much the same, the gap is longer though. Last year it was 3 weeks between phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What sane and rational human likes restrictions? Jesus wept.

Okay, I'll rephrase it. You never accepted the rationale for restrictions.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Okay, I'll rephrase it. You never accepted the rationale for restrictions.

You can park your hyperbole - one might be surprised to learn I was initially in favour of them last year. Until Tony started expressing "concern" about daily case numbers in the single digits. That was the straw which broke the camel's back.

It really is baffling.

And you and I were laughed at repeatedly when we called this back in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

You can park your hyperbole - one might be surprised to learn I was initially in favour of them last year. Until Tony started expressing "concern" about daily case numbers in the single digits. That was the straw which broke the camel's back.

You have some neck accusing others of hyperbole....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

finally an endpoint. what a ****ty 15 months.

**** you covid you prick. we beat you.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Have they done a U-turn on reopening the CTA before EU travel? No mention of it, just all EU travel on the 19th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

cheezums wrote: »

**** you covid you prick. we beat you.

So you consider suppressing citizens, in a country with Europe’s youngest population profile, for longer than any other nation, and all the associated health, social and economic costs such long term suppression brings, as a victory?

It’s a victory in the sense that your home is burnt to the ground but the mouse had to move out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Cinemas on the 7th, yes!!!

But have to sit 2 m away from anyone and not eat popcorn or have an ice cream because that is indoor dining.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

So you consider suppressing citizens, in a country with Europe’s youngest population profile, for longer than any other nation, and all the associated health, social and economic costs such long term suppression brings, as a victory?

It’s a victory in the sense that your home is burnt to the ground but the mouse had to move out

it's a victory in that we developed multiple extremely effective vaccines in less than a year. maybe one of mankind's greatest victories.

i'm not really talking about lockdown policy which i agreed with and disagreed with at various times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

But have to sit 2 m away from anyone and not eat popcorn or have an ice cream because that is indoor dining.

Do you mean sit by yourself and the next person 2 meters away? if so im in my wife cant stop talking during a film "did he do it?, but i thought she was with him?".....goes on and on.

We'll have to contend with the smouldering embers in the October budget. You can be sure reality will sink in then. The vaccines have been doing trojan work for the government, now that people are finally allowed the opportunity to work again the PUP needs to be swiftly abolished. Quench that bonfire of billions instead of chasing us down the road with additional taxation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

cheezums wrote: »
    it's a victory in that we developed multiple extremely effective vaccines in less than a year.

Ireland did nothing apart from sit on it's arse and hope someone else did.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

That should be a permanent arrangement on the food!

There are about 190 countries that did likewise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

RTÉ reporter taking a George Lee approach to his questioning. Travel - scary, cases in the U.K. - scary. All so scary & why are reopening at all. After all we’ve only been closed since Dec 26th, 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

What a spiteful post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

is_that_so wrote: »
    That should be a permanent arrangement on the food!

Going forward, this is an ideal opportunity to make some permanent changes. Restaurants should be restricted to serving only lobster and champagne, thus excluding the great unwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I heard the travel opening with the EU but was there any mention of travel between Ireland and the UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Pfizer have sites in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I thought with all the mass testing worldwide and shortage of proprietary chemicals for testing, it was an Irish group of scientists from Cork University (I think) That developed a cheap and mass producible replacement for counties to use.

• Advertisement

oh yeah? how would you have handled it yourself?

Advertisement