Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Which is less illness? So it's good news, nature is providing a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just did a home anitgen test which was positive, can't get a PCR test anywhere, so what next? Just keep trying or can a GP refer you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

GP can send you on. No appts showing up for a family member the other day, call to the GP and an appointment came by text about 30 mins later for the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

For every 10 kids in the trial with the placebo who had symptomatic infection, 1 vaccinated kid had symptomatic infection.

(To illustrate the point; not sure of exact data)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm now convinced nphet don't have a clue. Mary Favier on the news just there regarding this new variant. Her 2 concerns and important points are, how transmissible it is and how vaccines hold up against it. No mention of how deadly it is, surely thats the biggest concern, everything else comes later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

You're both wrong about the number of children in the trial who were vaccinated. The numbers you're citing (4500, 5000, 6000) include ALL children in the trial, including those who were given placebos, and children who received different doses. E.g. in the Pfizer trial, 1517 children were evaluated with the dose now recommended.

I agree that this is not enough to then roll out to a wider population and I'm surprised the EU has signed off on it. Safety is being assumed based on trials from adolescents and adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

Stop it. There's nothing made up about covid. Professionals were expecting variants. What they need to do now is take a look at the new variant to see what it means. They are not trying to scarce populations for the craic nor has a new variant developed to put us into a new lockdown before Christmas. Viruses mutate and the more virus there is in a place, the more chances it has to mutate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On Tuesday I managed to get a self-referral appt by just flicking back and forward in the process where you choose your county. One popped up, so I grabbed it.

@floorpie wrote

I agree that this is not enough to then roll out to a wider population and I'm surprised the EU has signed off on it. Safety is being assumed based on trials from adolescents and adults.

The sample size in that trial was perfectly fine, it was not small or inadequate, in fact it was slightly larger than normal.

The confusion is arising because the initial adult trials were some of the largest clinical trials in recent history. The headline numbers in a clinical always include all groups, control, placebos, whatever. If it was 1517 children on the current dose, then that was an above normal sample size for a clinical trial.

Reading the news you would think it's doomsday. New Variants, more restrictions, potential lockdowns, hospitals overwhelmed.

The reality is a lot less grim. We have only about 120 in ICU. A few hundred excess deaths last year.

If it wasn't in the news, most people wouldn't even know or care about this.

The majority of this is pure hysteria at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I had forgotten about it till you mentioned it all again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Maybe it is actually is doomsday - you and I are in agreement. That surely must herald the freezing over of hell. :D

I'm going to disconnect myself from all of the fun of last night. There's always a chaotic period when these things come out and the outcome rarely matches the predictions that are made early on.

Just gonna keep watching the numbers for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You can't claim the Covid Enhanced Illness Benefit without proof of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

The confusion is arising because 

I'm not confused, the authors of the paper from the trial say in the paper that the sample size of those receiving the treatment is not enough to detect prevalence/risk of myocarditis. As you know, there are already signals in the population showing that myocarditis is a risk, especially for younger males. The reason for this is unknown. Before somebody trots out "the risk from COVID-19 is higher", this is also unknown for this 5-11 cohort.

We'll probably be protected by proxy. From what I can tell there are no direct flights from ZA to Ireland, they all have to go through the UK, EU or Dubai. The first two are imposing restrictions, and I suspect the latter will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Michael Martin can use last February's speech again about "were effectively dealing with a new virus" ect ect. He just needs to change the word vaccine with booster and it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

Terrible advice and goes against the public health advice.

The public health advice is to isolate and test. Why would someone not want to know whether they have it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Clarity:

This is a varient of concern. Not a varient of all out panic. Relax. See what happens and remember that we have 93 per cent vaccination rate and a booster roll out well underway. We'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That fella Feidl-Ding is having a field day on Twitter. Big “BREAKING NEWS 🚨” posts about the Hong Kong case but failing to see the words “asymptomatic” wrote in the middle 🤦‍♂️ We know absolutely nothing about the impacts of this virus. While he suggests it’s the end of civilisation as we know it, other scientists seem to be questioning if the variant’s excessive mutations may in fact be it’s downfall. Something about excess mutations not binding to ACE2 receptors. I don’t know enough to even suggest if this is true, so all we can do is wait and see rather than sh*t the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wonder if this variant with all its mutations, while being more transmissible than Delta is less severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

He's the biggest bellend on Twitter. Complete arsehole. Some may defend him and say he is "just reporting the facts", but the dramatic language and hyperbole with which he does lends one to believe he has a clickbait agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I provided the trial data to the boards moderator of this thread submitted by Pfizer to the FDA with all the facts, including page 6 related to the fact they’ve no information re myocarditis gathered. I was told I’m not allowed to discuss such data as it’s not in this jurisdiction, we are under the EMA. I would assume you must follow these rules also?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Bot1

I hope dragging us all back in to the office to have remote meetings for the last few weeks was worth it!

Not to mind opening the bloody night clubs.

Now the kids have to cancel their playdates and the Christmas panto.

571 in hospital this AM. And today tends to be the big discharge today. With any luck we'll come out of the weekend still with less than 600 in hospital, but I wouldn't be holding my breath on that.

What we do know right now is that NPHET's previous models are already destroyed. In terms of cases, we are absolutely at the extreme lower fringe of the confidence interval. In other words, not completely outside the model, but nearly. And we will be, because the model calls from case increases for the next few days.

In terms of hospital, we are completely below the optimistic scenario. This has really a really tight CI (indicating a higher level of assuredness about the model), and predicted at least 750 in hospital today, but closer to 850.

ICU as usual is less confidence-filling, but we're still at the lower CI bound. The model expected ICU to have 150 give or take 25 at this point.

They're due to release new models today. I wonder will they soften their cough on it? They've very much lost the room, there's widespread derision over their request that we all implement kiddie coccooning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The kids have to cancel playdates because they’re not vaccinated and the virus spreads like wildfire in groups. Plus there’s no tracing in schools. But blame the offices and hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Teacher just informed me our child's Christmas play is cancelled WTF. There will be 50,000 adults at a match this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Was the Christmas play going to be on outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What they often don't specify is what trial the size should be (and why based on good trial practice) or back track when those criteria are met.

You do of course know that the risk of severe myocarditis is much higher when exposed to the virus vs. the vaccine. I'm guessing by your post that you got caught posting misinformation and got a warning for it and now being disingenuous as to why you aren't referring to that trial data.

But of course your question was where I got those numbers, when it turned out you had them all the time, so, yea, more lying.

And answering none of the other questions and calling the parents of the 2.6M vaccinated children in the State disgusting with nothing to back it up as usual.

Quick, deflect to something else randomly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

You should ring the British scientists and tell them they are over reacting.

Advertisement