Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's just an arbitrary amount of time that covers most situations, the 5 months is really because a lot who got AZ didn't finish their course till June or July (due to the extra weeks added when figuring out clotting issues). Ideally it would be an antibody level test to figure out who needs a booster or not, but that's not that practical (as is figuring out if people infected got a severe enough dose to last even the 6 months). As it's deemed safe, it doesn't seem to matter how exact it is.

Similarly with the rules (close at midnight, Netherlands 5-5, wears masks in these places but not these, COVID cert here but not there), they're more based on practicalities that they may reduce R enough to work than being the "best" restriction (lock everyone in the world away from each other for 2-4 weeks). Even the pantomime advice while not being officially a restriction has had an effect and will stop some infections happening (at cost to the businesses involved of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I did. In 2015 fourteen children under the age of 15 died on our roads. In 2020 and 21 seven have died of Covid and that's including those up to age 25. A tragedy for that seven and thier loved ones*, but an absolutely tiny risk for those under the age of 25. In the US of A with more vaccine refuseniks and more obesity and type two diabetes in kids the death toll is around 700, out of 73 million kids under the age of 18. Them's the actual facts I'm afraid.

*I have to keep saying that or some Maude Flanders with an attack of the emotionals will accuse me of being callous.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Who knows when these nonsense posts will stop. Who arranges all this nonsense?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's just an arbitrary amount of time that covers most situations, the 5 months is really because a lot who got AZ didn't finish their course till June or July (due to the extra weeks added when figuring out clotting issues). Ideally it would be an antibody level test to figure out who needs a booster or not, but that's not that practical (as is figuring out if people infected got a severe enough dose to last even the 6 months). As it's deemed safe, it doesn't seem to matter how exact it is.

My issue is the flimflam from politicians and their advisors based on really flimsy even shítty science. If a group of studies involving hundreds of thousands over eight months from first clinical trials to the end of this summer says X and another single study of a hundred half fecked indivduals over the course of three months where the authors themselves state has limitations, I know let's go with that one. It's... I think the technical term is Askmebollix. 😁

As for safe; the single biggest reason Moderna et al went into what was the poor cousin of vaccine research after their other trials of mRNA therapies were stopped because no way were they going to even risk human trials because the animal trials showed such serious risks, was that vaccines were seen as safer because of dosage levels and number of doses. Yet it seems outside of cross eyed loonies on Arsebook nobody is asking hang on with regard to boosters of the same therapies potentially every few months.

Similarly with the rules (close at midnight, Netherlands 5-5, wears masks in these places but not these, COVID cert here but not there), they're more based on practicalities that they may reduce R enough to work than being the "best" restriction (lock everyone in the world away from each other for 2-4 weeks). Even the pantomime advice while not being officially a restriction has had an effect and will stop some infections happening (at cost to the businesses involved of course).

As I said earlier if this was airborne pneumonic plague, which environment would you feel safer in, a local newsagents with a mask on or a full pub without? If you were in charge Astro, which environment would you call for more precautions in? I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't point at the shops. We even have real world evidence in this. Throughout this pandemic I've yet to see an example of clusters coming from a retail environment even pre masks etc, but pubs, clubs, concerts and sporting events have certainly been implicated. IMHO it's almost entirely a political and economic sop. As is transmission magically stopping at the school gates.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Are teachers going to close the windows during this cold spell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Oh really B? I was going by wikipedia, but thanks for the clarification. So going by that figure the risk is 0.0004%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sorry, I confused myself.

What you're saying is consistet with the idea circulating since last year that covid risk (pre-vaccination) is ballpark same as pre-pandemic all-causes mortality rate for any given age group.

So sure, it's not black death, it's just as dangerous as everything else put together, but we live in a generally very low-mortality time period.

FWIW a couple of weeks ago I compared Black Death mortality rates to prevailing child mortality rates at the time (risk of dying before adulthood from BD or other), and they were also same ballpark.

Yeah the Black Death killed about half of the population of Europe depending on time and place, which wouldn't have been too far off childhood mortality rates alright. IIRC the estimate was about a third of kids didn't see adulthood and that trended tragically up as the cities filled after the industrial revolution.

Even so covid is well down the list of things that pose a risk of death to kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭blackcard

I just thought it was funny that you started your post stating "you want facts and figures" and then your first fact is incorrect. Incidentally, I got the fact that the population of Ireland under 25 is over 1.6 million from Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What else are they supposed to do but keep windows and doors open, it's not like any other measures where put in place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes I listened to a podcast series about the black death there a few months ago and it was truly eye opening. Not to mention the other calamities that had also befallen Europe before and in between bouts of plague at the time, such as famine and extreme weather. Really a bad time to be alive, in Europe at least. Covid has been a walk in the park in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I watched a documentary on BBC4 about the history of London a few nights back

literally the same day as the troops came home from WW1 the flu came with it

people who were out celebrating their men coming home that morning were dead that night

Ah now I see. Turns out I put the zero in the wrong place. Should have been approx 1650000. My typo means my point stands more. The fact is this covid 19 virus is almost entirely a killer of the very old, the already pretty sick and the very very unlucky who fall into neither category. And even in the most vulnerable group the death rate is 0.7 and nearly half of all deaths were in those over 85. Five years older than the average longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

A bit of cold air never did anyone any harm. If the kids are cold, wear more layers.

Yeah but if you ever went to school you will remember that there is always at least one kid who doesn't have the same stuff as everybody else, the little lad with no friends who always had a runny nose and wore a uniform that didn't fit him and was a bit dopey because he probably hadn't had any breakfast. But yeah, wear more layers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

100%

They'll settle for an open window quick enough come January if the schools aren't able to reopen.

My dog has a longer memory span than some of the posters around here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Wibbs if you ever think of running for office you have my vote, what a post sums up this shît show for what it is.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

It is madness. But instead, the department spent about €12 million (apparently - I’ve seen this quoted before) on hand sanitizer, yet won’t spend a penny on air filters.

Masks in schools and windows open in freezing temps are cheap, poxy measures which target kids rather than help them. Surprised to see the ventilation bro’s jump on masks for kids as an alternative for adequate ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well aside from that fact that yes, cold has harmed many people, it won't be easy for kids to concentrate on their work if they are freezing! I'm sure you've been cold in your life and it's fairly unpleasant. Poor kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Genuinely curious - are you just commenting that the cold is crap for the kids? (Because it is, you're right) or do you think the windows should all be closed to keep them warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Very, very easily fixed with more layers. And no, cold at the levels we are talking about here (above zero) does not do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Go into any office and try put the thermostat at 19C nevermind anything lower and watch people lose their minds as it's "too cold". Expecting young children to sit in freezing cold classrooms because "science" is yet another example of COVID nonsense.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Must know something we don’t! Trends positive this week but hey what fûck do we know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I bet you wouldn't subject yourself to the same

Advertisement