Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

You are correct. The people who will not be impacted in the slightest by these measures will obviously not care.

And yes they are the majority of the population but it doesn't make the restrictions correct.

Again it is the youth, those in insecure jobs, the creative and arts sector who will take the hit.

Retirees on cushy pensions and warm home will not mind.

Those with nice secure jobs and settled families will probably not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

NHPET seemingly have recommended restricting hospitality hours even more,Has there been any leaks as to what time they want these establishments to close? One poster here yesterday was suggesting 8pm while I see 10pm floating around twitter last night

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Can't see 8pm being viable. It would wipe out the restaurant trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Yea i guess NPHET will recommend 8 or 9 and cabinet will add an hour.

My guess would be 1030pm closures to put the nail in the nightclub trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Short answer no there's been no leak on the time. If there were you'd have most of the media outlets reporting it.

That poster was posting something they heard from someone down the road, the "I heard from someone " line. Someone who yesterday morning wouldn't have had a breeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

In recent weeks many of those ‘i heard from’ in respect to restrictions have had an element of truth to them - people within NPHET and the HSE have been openly talking about the need for new restrictions to protect the health service and to push people to get boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

What is the reasoning for these rumored restrictions?

We seem to be getting punished for things going better than expected !

The man down the road knows no more about what goes on in a NPHET meeting than the rest of us (*). It's as bad as the WhatsApp messages that get sent around.

*Apart from journalists that is who have a direct line from the meetings by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

In a nut shell its because the health service cannot and never has coped during winter. Its nothing to do with how the public have responded to the pandemic. Approx 94% vaccinated, 1m boosters, this is about controlling the population to hide the HSE's failings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Some posters think it is all about the Irish wanting to go out and get pissed for the month of December,but look at the knock on effect of restricting hospitality. The food producers are effected because restaurants won't want the same quantities. Beauticians and hairdressers won't see the same footfall because women(and some men!!) won't be heading out so won't be getting glammed up. The list goes on and on

Needless to say the people calling for hospitality to close won't be affected financially.

And does anyone honestly believe these restrictions will be lifted in February? It will be at least May/June again

500-700 cases by mid December, "very light restrictions" . Your on some roll.

As another poster said last night your not even being subtle about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I think the issue we have with NPHET is that they are a group of individuals who are sometimes providing their own perspectives and wishes directly to journalists. This is an opinion of a member of NPHET and not the agreed NPHET position.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That doesn't add up. We've had cases steady for weeks, and hospital stats declining, so what's changed for the worse?

I reckon it's is the fear in government of Omigawd variant + Christmas party season = Bad January 2.0.

That's reinforced by the social proof element of seeing other governments (notably the Brits) increasing restrictions. They're like a nervous passenger in a Ryanair lounge, an hour before departure, looking around to see who's going to be the first person to start the boarding queue.

As soon as anyone in a position of responsibility sees a sharply inclined chart plot, their bowels loosen audibly. Even if it's over 10,000km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

If this is there advise for a few thousand cases its not hard to see where we are heading if there is a spike with the new variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Brilliant! Covid will provide academics with so much fascinating data on human behaviour.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

Omigawd, love it, will have to borrow that.

I agree it doesn't add up, but they're permanently concerned. I'm honestly starting to think that they'll want restrictions every winter, because, as I said with so many vaccinated, vulnerable getting boosters, stable numbers in both community and hospitals yet they're still freaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Very simply because we have a health service under pressure in winter.

Now we have always had a health service under pressure in winter, every winter, for decades. A health service thats awash with huge sums of money, where over 670 non medical staff btw all earn over €100k a year. A third world health service receiving top level first world funding.

The thing is despite the health service being under pressure this winter, and well every winter (have a google and check how bad things have been over the years before COVID) we have now allowed it to be normalised that rather than holding people to account and demanding better its ok to restrict huge swathes of the public, to assign blame to everyone from the pubs to primary school children.

And not only has it being normalised, its been viciously pursued and pushed by the media in the country practically 24/7 and not only accepted by the people but in a lot of cases actually demanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Same cycle AGAIN.

NPHET meet Thursday; leak to media; panic/hype in media over weekend; Government silent until Mon/Tue where they accept 'recommendations'.

It's beyond insane at this stage. I simply don't understand how when we are below Snake Oil's optimistic 'modelling', cases (who cares), hospitalisations and ICU have all stabilised or reduced, yet the clowns are talking more restrictions!?

🤬

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not really Cluedo, or at least it won't come as a surprise. Humans are social animals who tend to have herd instincts, a need to fit into the group, especially in times of external stresses(remember the people rushing to the shops to stockpile bogroll for no logical reason) and compliance to authority is strongly built in, again more in evidence when stressed. Fear induces either a run away impulse or stay still impulse until the threat moves away. You see this in situations like bomb scares. The vast majority of people either run like hell away from the threat, others are rooted to the spot and an absolutely tiny percentage of people run towards the threat to see if they can help. Fear also increases compliance to the catechism of the day. In the short term at least. Over time if the fear doesn't go away authorities get more questions aimed at them and more push back.

We can see this in historical pandemics. When the black death first hit the churches were packed to the rafters and authorities were obeyed, but over time when it was clear neither were actually having any effect, people drifted away, questioned more, looked to alternatives and/or rejected authority entirely. It's quite arguable that if we hadn't suffered the black death the fall of feudalism, the reformation and the enlightenment would not have happened or would have taken a lot longer to come about. These didn't happen in either the Muslim world or cultures like China, both equally as affected by the plague, the difference in Europe were printed books. The common man suddenly had access to much more information than any other time in history up to that point. Questions were raised and a multitude of answers came back and few agreed with the accepted answers of the past.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Unfortunately restrictions are around to stay. I know people myself who wholly support these closures of pubs and clubs, give out about everyone, then have about 10 people around consistently for Sunday dinners.

We have a massive amount of people who follow an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude. People's jobs/mortgages/bills/kids don't matter if you don't know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yet more speculation posing as fact from NPHET. It remains to be seen how the government deal with this advice. The only positive is that it's still at least 2 weeks off the Christmas ramp up so that people can get over their annoyance with whatever is coming. Either way there will be praise for people when it turns out not to be as bad as imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Could we be looking at a Level 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

As I said the other day, expect new opinion polls shortly to show a large % happy with the new restrictions and another large % gagging for more.

The Cabinet meeting is on Tuesday and there is no urgent need for government to meet before then so the ideas/rumours get a whole weekend to percolate. It also gives the government time to look at the proposals and figure out how to convert them to policies palatable for the public.

As the alarm bells clang loudly, hospitals down 17 to 528 this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Bad enough the public baying for restrictions out of (largely media-induced) fear, but the "experts" making the decisions should not be subject to the poor emotional decision making - it should be solely evidence based (abundance of precaution my hole)

Then again, this is the same group of people whose covid case and death predictions have been consistently wrong since the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Close everything up, 528 is too close to 666!

Open your eyes people!!!

• Advertisement

Poll in the indo today with more oriole against restrictions than for. I personally don’t think the public is baying for restrictions this time around, despite the efforts of the press to whip them up

Advertisement