Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Wooo they rolled out the vaccines real good. Ok - so what about the extended lockdowns, unnecessary extension of restrictions during the summer etc? That’s ok is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Would only have loved to have seen this level of "caution" in place when they were in Government back in the 2000s.....

However.My parents, siblings and nieces have all had covid very recently.All vaccinated.We will be spending Christmas together.Not paying attention to these restrictions.Why should we, when the worst has already happened for the older members of my family?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Feel similar myself, just don't know what the point is. I'm was always skeptical of them keeping to their word but yet here we are, with 93% vaccinated, introducing more restrictions for a second Christmas in a row.

Reality is though, given how prolific the use of vaccine cert is now going to be, I will probably have to get a booster, doesn't make it right though.

This is Ireland's version of the JFK assassination. In years to come every Irish man or woman will remember where they were when this man attacked RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

How was it ever going to stop you getting it?

Why was the science of vaccination, going to be thrown out for this? Vaccines give the body the experience to fight infection.

If you are young and fit, you should be fine with just the 2, probably fine with just one or none.

If you are over 50 or close contact with older people then you should.

There is a lot to be said for national service as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

Berlin is at 84% bed capacity and lower ICU but I can't find the link for the ICU stat. Germany overall is 77% capacity.

Berlin also operates on the basis of hospitalisation per 100 in setting its restrictions. Its 3.8 at the moment which is higher than here most likely due to vaccine uptake here being higher.

Nothing is perfect but if they'd our vaccination rate v theirs (69%) they'd be in an excellent situation given hospital capacity and ICU capacity. We are feeling the pain due to a chronically mismanaged health service for a number of decades.

Honestly the most frustrating thing is once again basing restrictions/restrictions on awful modelling. It's plainly obvious to everyone the modelling is beyond pessimistic so much so that even Leo is publicly saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think we're in agreement then. What we've gotten already is fine for most. Boosters to elderly and people who are more vulnerable then, but lots of people don't need those boosters. Kids possibly need no vaccine since the odds of them getting severely sick seem to so low unless they are in a vulnerable state already.

If they come up with a vaccine or medicine that seriously suppresses spread, I'm more cool with taking that more regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I don't know where to draw the line.

13% with COVID there with 1200 ICU beds.

We have what, 350 ICU beds surge capacity.

100 odd taken by COVID patients.

See the maths on drawing the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Well good for him so . As I said I don't have Twitter so am dependant on what has been presented so am basing my opinion on that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Philip Nolan needs to be seriously questioned as to what he's doing with his modelling. On a number of occasions this year NPHET presented models to government which didn't include expanded vaccination or the booster programme even though those things were happening/about to happen and thus the numbers were worse. But then the latest letter includes Nolan modelling up to 15,000 cases per day in January from Omicron? Like wtf? Where's he pulling this from?

Post edited by namloc1980 on

Thanks CS . Am not going further as my particular " stall " is likely to cause riot here tonight 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

It’s a Fisher Price Crazee Clairvoyant Ball he uses - mostly it just says **** off you bald loser but other times it flashes numbers to him - 41300 Hospital, 11111!!21111111! ICU. Philip then scampers to Tony H and feeds him the numbers - Tony then tugs one of the leashes in his lap and a rare MM appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

There was a couple of questions at the press conference about the modelling. Varadkar said that sometimes the most optimistic scenarios were too pessimistic. The politicians really lost control after last Christmas and NPHET are far too conservative. Nolan’s snake oil comments about antigen testing, the ‘too much’ ventilation comments this week and the questionable modelling must surely put his position under some scrutiny. Years of mismanagement of the health service are coming back to bite as well as our overcrowded classrooms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't really see them having any effect. Restrictions for the sake of looking like your doing something.

That sounds great...would that it was so simple .

Finding it hard to retain staff generally never mind get people to work in ICU unfortunately.

But they could do more to encourage people to stay in harder areas of nursing alright ,but thats a story for another time.

Ah phuck it, at least I have an excuse not to meet up with the family again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I don't know where he's getting the Omicron data from. Not even the WHO has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

#Stay Safe Everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

He's not getting it anywhere, he doesn't have a clue and is making **** up to make things look worse than they are.

If nphet aren't going away there needs to be a serious reshuffle because the current format and members aren't fit for purpose any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

He needs to be replaced. Or at least get a second opinion.

What is the first thing you would do if a doctor said you had terminal cancer?

Get a second opinion.

I can't for the life of me understand why the government don't get a second opinion on NPHET projections given the decisions that are made based on them.

Well they did once, remember this gem?

Cork, Limerick and Galway saw an increase in their 14-day coronavirus infection rates after “wet” pubs were allowed to reopen in late September, while there was no similar surge in Dublin, where they remained closed, according to an analysis of Covid-19 data given to the government last week.

The study, by consultants EY, found increases of 10%-12% — more than three times the national average — in the infection rate in the three cities. This was a factor in the cabinet’s decision not to reopen the pubs for Christmas as part of the general lifting of the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Agreed 100%, he's pulling them off the top of his head.

Only thing that will happen, is that nothing will happen - it's Ireland. We won't pull him on his calculations, no reshuffle will happen, no being fired or moved. Sad state of affairs. Country has an incurable dose of Nphid 19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

TBH I’d have absolutely no issue with on and off restrictions to fight surges, continued use of masks during surges, and other measured and reasonable responses until we’re out of this. I’d imagine most people annoyed tonight would be in a similar boat. The problem as you quite rightly allude to is, well, we don’t do that. We send Tony on the media rounds to scare people every time there’s the slightest hint of an increase, base our response on Phil Nolan’s random number generator, and apply arbitrary and random restrictions to certain sectors while applying a light touch to others - the past situation with nursing homes and meat factories and the ongoing attempts to portray schools as safe being the most obvious examples.

By far the most frustrating thing to me is the refusal to lift restrictions when things are improving. I don’t know why they bothered giving an end date on the current restrictions, because anyone with at least a pair of half functioning brain cells rattling around their skull knows rightly they’ll go on for far longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Name another vaccine that requires 2 doses and a booster within 10 months of each other?

And you may leave your conspiracy theory nonsense at the door if you don't mind. That guff has nothing to do with my point and well you know it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I crawled to the toilet with a dose I had in January 2020. Stayed in bed for two days. It wasn’t covid. People get sick. It happens. I’m also fit and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It is indeed. I think they've hit exactly the right note with the level of restrictions this time around. Hopefully Omicron can prove to be a wet fart and we continue to see a decline in hospital numbers and case numbers can finally go down.

Good to hear.

So am I . Concerned about all those things that some call " virtue signalling " but older people like me just think of as being human .

And I want to get back to pre Covid " normal" too...no, strike that ... I want Atlantic Dawn's normal ,where money is put into opening beds and training and retaining staff , not HSE admins ,and we can sort all the issues in the health service .

And all that you mention in your post above, Nu Man.

I don't think I will live that long though, maybe you will ?

Will you be so concerned that you will put your tax euros where your mouth is?

I hope so, or else its all just bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Where all his numbers come from. His random number generator. He's a complete spoofer. It would be hilarious if it didn't have real consequences.

It's like a brass eye sketch

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Its a predictable cycle at this stage. Give farcical predictions. Introduce largely unenforceable restrictions based on farcical predictions. Throw sacks of money at effected sectors to quieten them. When the farcical predictions don't come true compliment everybody for obeying the restrictions even though they are widely ignored and mostly useless anyway. Everybody is a winner. Rinse and repeat.

Oh, and say 3 times a day "schools are safe"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,086 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Advertisement