Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Sorry what we can't blame people now. JEBUS H C. We are asking people to have cop on and be responsible

Well keep on blaming then but it won’t work. Provide solutions outdoor bins, outdoor toilets etc. they are called facilities. But no blaming people seems easier and nothing changes. Open more spaces too that offer these facilities and more spaces open means people will have other options. The young are incredibly fed up at this stage, no college on campus, no graduation, no summer jobs, loads of things. Some of these young people might have been working last night if hospitality was open or at family events or sports events etc etc but options are so limited. The blame game won’t work, solutions needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The account the post came from or his reasons for being in town do not change the thrust of his point. He was entitled to make the comment.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

So we all know how Covid operates. It loves enclosed spaces. It loves people being up close. It thrives on someone being close for over 15 mins.

That’s why.. next time Dr Holohan’s friend/relative/colleague should arrange their own private transport either by foot, bike or own private car. It’s the safest thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

gansi wrote: »
    Well keep on blaming then but it won’t work. Provide solutions outdoor bins, outdoor toilets etc. they are called facilities. But no blaming people seems easier and nothing changes. Open more spaces too that offer these facilities and more spaces open means people will have other options. The young are incredibly fed up at this stage, no college on campus, no graduation, no summer jobs, loads of things. Some of these young people might have been working last night if hospitality was open or at family events or sports events etc etc but options are so limited. The blame game won’t work, solutions needed.

I am sorry we are all fed up at this stage. We all have stuff we missed from children, teenagers, young adults, middle age and the old so no the youth do not have a monopoly on that.

Yes facilities are needed let parks be open but the individuals also have a role to play they are not blameless. If they could bring the stuff they can take it away and dump when there is a bit. He'll it be lighter then as it will be all drank smoked or eaten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

His resilience in these times is outstanding. The amount of concern, worry and, now, absolute shock he's experienced, and yet he still functions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So we all know how Covid operates. It loves enclosed spaces. It loves people being up close. It thrives on someone being close for over 15 mins.

That’s why.. next time Dr Holohan’s friend/relative/colleague should arrange their own private transport either by foot, bike or own private car. It’s the safest thing to do.

WELL HOLY MOLY you have cracked it. I bet you do the same as that. It is laughable people trying to put the blame another way when all through this we have been saying we can be responsible (that also means social distancing outdoors) and the minute we show some of us can't we whinge that the government or another is not doing stuff for us. Nannying as you say. I mean nobody wanted to use a bit o brain power for what's after flattening the curve

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

eskimohunt wrote: »
    And blamed justifiably, too.

Tony's tweet last night was arrogant, condescending, and hysterical.

I never said otherwise.

The point remains that if he wasn't there you'd still be blaming somebody because somebody has to be in that position.

Where would you be without somebody to gripe about and blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,463 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CMOIreland/status/1398724543536041990

I'm sure said tweet has already been posted

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

His actual tweet is far less dramatic than the responses. I think plenty of people were shocked at the scale of the crowd.

It’s the Live Line type responses to that tweet that are calling for draconian responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The intro's on RTE and VM news you would think it was the day after the shelling of Dublin by the Brits during 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The intro's on RTE and VM news you would think it was the day after the shelling of Dublin by the Brits during 1916.

I see that Leo and RTE ( main headline on the RTE news app) are waving the wooden spoon threatening local lockdowns if there’s a spike in cases :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

After Tony’s tweet, the government and NPHET should meet immediately to discuss and clarify what they mean by outdoor summer.

Maybe we need time limits and people limits in place at parks/beaches etc?

We need to know what Tony will allow to not be absolutely shocked. How many can be at a beach etc?

The reality is, Tony collecting someone in a car is more dangerous than outdoor activities. I hope he had a mask on.

Agree we need clarity.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Well just watching the news and various journalists and now the ever positive Luke O Neill say we’re opening too quickly especially due to the scenes last night all over the country(the litter is scandalous no excuse for that) I’ve come to the conclusion that as a whole our so called experts and media are a bunch of bet wetters and never ever want this to end!
    I’ve had it up to here with all the negativity!

Again, although I have sympathy for your view, the virus does not give 1 solitary fcuk about the “negativity” as you put it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

From the pictures I saw, if the Brits had shelled Dublin with cans, it would be pretty similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Agree we need clarity.

Meeting up in a group outdoors where everyone gives everyone a bit of space, grand.

A few thousand people packed together like sardines in a closed area, bad.

It’s really not complicated. South William St was taking the piss yesterday (while pissing everywhere).

I dont really know what tony expected. Pubs have been open for weeks now, many with outdoor seating being used and toilets indoors also.

The publicans that have acted like this are grossly irresponsible. They dont give a **** about anybody's health, it's all about the money for them. They're as bad as the Berlin bar last year and should be facing the same penalties. The guards indifference to enforcing the law that leads to situations like this is just as egregious, they are failing us, failing to protect the people and society.

Would agree the pubs/off licences are the real villains of the piece here.

Regarding the guards they need CLEAR directions on how to handle this sort of situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Maybe it was one of his children

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meeting up in a group outdoors where everyone gives everyone a bit of space, grand.

Except it's not grand, because the Gardai will just throw you out if you're drinking a glass of wine or a can of beer.

So people with no back gardens have been de facto prohibited from consuming alcohol socially with friends, there's literally nowhere to do it. Ironically it's the places like South William St that people have the best chance of the Gardai not sending them off, as they generally don't try clear people off if there's enough of them.

i think the Gardai need to be patrolling these areas every half hour and move people on if the numbers are getting too big like on the clip i seen.
    They were checking the movement of cars and the movement of people at and around the airports.
    it is not the publicans job to police the streets, they sell drink, make money and pay tax.
    We need to get this sorted and we have had a few incidents, i rember one in Cork some time ago and there was also a funeral/wedding...

Would agree. The gardai need to step up their patrols and break up /arrest when appropriate groups who simply WILL NOT comply with the public health directions.

There needs to be more direction in that regard from the CMO NPHET and the govt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Again, although I have sympathy for your view, the virus does not give 1 solitary fcuk about the “negativity” as you put it

Thanks for clarifying that the virus doesn't experience human emotions, I had always wondered.

I am sorry we are all fed up at this stage. We all have stuff we missed from children, teenagers, young adults, middle age and the old so no the youth do not have a monopoly on that.

Yes facilities are needed let parks be open but the individuals also have a role to play they are not blameless. If they could bring the stuff they can take it away and dump when there is a bit. He'll it be lighter then as it will be all drank smoked or eaten

I’m not in that age bracket but know they are very frustrated. The dumping of litter is wrong I agree and yes they shouldnt have left the mess. The thing is now the young are in the spotlight again and it seems like a blame game is starting when what what would greatly help is having more spaces open and facilities available.

How Irish crowds behave is a known. Event managers and organisers have been dealing with them for as long as organised events have existed.

We’re messy. We get get drunk but by and large we aren’t actually that prone to violence or aggression.

If you understand how an Irish crowd behaves, you work with that behaviour and plan and organise the city to work with them rather than against them, it will work smoothly.

The skills, knowledge and experience all exist.

I’ve a lot of time for NPHET but they need to be working with people who know what they’re doing when it comes to designing and organising events, people flows, positive messaging and all of that.

All I see is quite top down and heavy public health messaging and we are now moving into a new stage where there’s an expectation of a safe & positive reopening.

We have to find the positive, optimistic messaging here. I fully agree with Panti. You won’t achieve anything by lecturing and moralising. You need to lead and make things happen with an energy that inspires good outcomes.

I think while it’s very well intentioned, the messaging cannot be patronising or it will be ignored.

Agree but just 1 thing I’d say - having experienced over the years - is plenty of aggro and violence with a drunk Irish crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 86,463 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can’t really see that working. People bring slabs of cans, spirits, etc from all over the place.
    Why would you punish already struggling business local to the occurrence? They already pay huge rates, income tax, VAT etc

I thought street drinking was illegal :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Would agree the pubs/off licences are the real villains of the piece here.

Regarding the guards they need CLEAR directions on how to handle this sort of situation

A business operating within the guidelines is a problem now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

A few thousand people packed together like sardines in a closed area, bad.

It’s really not complicated. South William St was taking the piss yesterday (while pissing everywhere).

Streets are outdoors,
    Not a closed space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Meanwhile in the real world there are 135,000 Fans at the Indy500.
    What would Tony make of that?

https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1399045477786697731

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

His job is to advise the government; not to offer social commentary on Twitter.

Ah here now - if he didn't sure we would have nothing to get outraged over ... ;)

Large crowds of gob****es congregating on top of each other with no social distancing or other considerations - ah sur that's grand

The Chief Medical Officer says that kind of behaviour atm is not a good idea - queue lots of moaning and screaming ...

Yeah and we know outdoor activities are safer than those indoors - but that kinda thing is just taking the proverbial tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pubs serving takeaway pints and cafes etc. should pay to have the mess left behind cleaned up. I know they pay rates and so on, but if they even helped the situation they would get much kudos. I know the drinkers are the culprits, but those serving it have a role to play also.

Not judging people for gathering, end of College term and so on, people need to let off steam. The lack of civic pride though is not nice to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Meanwhile in the real world there are 135,000 Fans at the Indy500.
    What would Tony make of that?

https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1399045477786697731

I think that was already covered tbf.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned the Indianapolis 500 earlier.

As ever, never the the facts get in the way of a good story. Yes, there are 135,000 fans being admitted, however, the venue capacity is 400,000 *AND* entrants must be certified doubly vaccinated.

So, in fact, that event is subject to proportionately more severe limitations than our so-called test events upcoming here in Ireland.

Advertisement