Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Pubs serving takeaway pints and cafes etc. should pay to have the mess left behind cleaned up. I know they pay rates and so on, but if they even helped the situation they would get much kudos. I know the drinkers are the culprits, but those serving it have a role to play also.

Not judging people for gathering, end of College term and so on, people need to let off steam. The lack of civic pride though is not nice to see.

It was not just the pubs selling drinks. People were bringing their own and buying from offies.

Hospitality has had a ****ty time over the last year. outdoor drinks and dining should already be open and we would not have this madness with people coming into town for the slim pickings around Grafton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Pubs serving takeaway pints and cafes etc. should pay to have the mess left behind cleaned up. I know they pay rates and so on, but if they even helped the situation they would get much kudos. I know the drinkers are the culprits, but those serving it have a role to play also.

Not judging people for gathering, end of College term and so on, people need to let off steam. The lack of civic pride though is not nice to see.

Shame the Irish fans from the Euros in 2016 weren’t there. The Greatest Fans in the World would be going around with bin bags and cleaning up that mess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It was not just the pubs selling drinks. People were bringing their own and buying from offies.

Hospitality has had a ****ty time over the last year. outdoor drinks and dining should already be open and we would not have this madness with people coming into town for the slim pickings around Grafton street.

It’s true though. If outdoor dining was open, you wouldn’t have those scenes. The restaurants wouldn’t allow it for a start. South William Street will be all laid out with areas sectioned off the each restaurant, and I doubt they would allow people drinking cans on the street right on top of their patrons.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,463 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

His actual tweet is far less dramatic than the responses. I think plenty of people were shocked at the scale of the crowd.

It’s the Live Line type responses to that tweet that are calling for draconian responses.

A busy Monday for Joe on LiveLine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

gansi wrote: »
    I’m not in that age bracket but know they are very frustrated. The dumping of litter is wrong I agree and yes they shouldnt have left the mess. The thing is now the young are in the spotlight again and it seems like a blame game is starting when what what would greatly help is having more spaces open and facilities available.

@We all are big whoop. There in the spotlight because they were the ones doing it.I agree with you that spaces should be open more and yes a few more bins are needed but they left a mess that is not down to the facilities they should have cleaned up there stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That's fair enough. It's the total lack of civic pride and devil may care attitude that gets me. I'm alright Jack, I'm having a few pints in the street, someone else can clear it up, but it won't be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Surely we've had advanced warning of this, I'm not condoning pissing on the street or leaving rubbish but I watched that video of Dublin this morning and every bin was stuffed full of rubbish.

Maybe a few skips and porta toilets? Not to encourage but just to help. Cost a few quid but hey, look at lock down. I'm sure if we put them in strategic places we could control the gatherings to a certain extent.

I'm not sure if I should send shocked Tony a message telling him he better sit down when we reopen every other thing with pent up demand.

Ah blowing off steam ah so everything is hunky dorey

• Registered Users Posts: 86,463 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Everyone should be responsible for their own behaviour and rubbish, start handing out large fines maybe it might stop

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Surely we've had advanced warning of this, I'm not condoning pissing on the street or leaving rubbish but I watched that video of Dublin this morning and every bin was stuffed full of rubbish.

Maybe a few skips and porta toilets? Not to encourage but just to help. Cost a few quid but hey, look at lock down. I'm sure if we put them in strategic places we could control the gatherings to a certain extent.

I'm not sure if I should send shocked Tony a message telling him he better sit down when we reopen every other thing with pent up demand.

Why are you saying there was advanced warning. Okay toilets I give you even here in Limerick they are few and far between. But the skips why. bins full take your stuff with you (not you as you) then bring them home with you. They will be lighter as drink gone. Any stuff given by pub they should have there own bins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

Just a single comment - the main problem with so many things in Ireland is our unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

crossman47 wrote: »
    Just a single comment - the main problem with so many things in Ireland is our unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

Social media takes a lot of blame for the pics/vids of these Dublin gatherings

Should every place in the Republic get the same ridicule thus been punished for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Meanwhile in the real world there are 135,000 Fans at the Indy500.
    What would Tony make of that?

https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1399045477786697731

With a 300,000+ capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

crossman47 wrote: »

Rubbish. Literally. How many hedge rows are full of rubbish dumped by the stone cold sober...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see that Leo and RTE ( main headline on the RTE news app) are waving the wooden spoon threatening local lockdowns if there’s a spike in cases :pac:

Leo was asked a specific (and somewhat loaded) question
    He said while there have been mixed results in the past, local lockdowns "... are a policy option. They are in the Government's plan."

Mr Varadkar said he acknowledged that local lockdowns "probably aren't as effective as they might be in other countries" because the country is so small.

He said: "We've had mixed results with them in the past unfortunately, the one in Kildare and the midlands worked, others didn't really."

However he added: "They are a policy option if we have an outbreak in a particular area" but added "... hopefully we won't have to."

What did you want? Evade the question or lie about what is in the policy plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Just small anecdote not that it matters.

Met a few friends outside a pub yesterday that has just opened this weekend for takeaway pints. Big square opposite pub and multiple food businesses surrounding. Got there at 3pm and bins were already full. I’d like to think myself and mates are very responsible but we had to stack all our empty plastic glasses until we left approx 7pm. One of the lads took our collection home but it was visible no one else were making the effort.

Was my first time seeing mates over a pint since this kicked off so was absolutely amazing atmosphere IMO. Don’t blame younger people for doing same in Dublin. With over 50% of vulnerable vaccinated there has to be a point where people are given the choice to make their own risk decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    With a 300,000+ capacity.

Regardless of capacity it's still 135,000 people attending an event whilst many commentators in Ireland descend into breakdowns over a few hundred gathered in a Dublin street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Amirani wrote: »
    Except it's not grand, because the Gardai will just throw you out if you're drinking a glass of wine or a can of beer.

So people with no back gardens have been de facto prohibited from consuming alcohol socially with friends, there's literally nowhere to do it. Ironically it's the places like South William St that people have the best chance of the Gardai not sending them off, as they generally don't try clear people off if there's enough of them.

Maybe they can go into other peoples gardens near them. :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Like, the rubbish shouldn't be left there obviously but isn't this what we pay taxes for, so that our streets are cleaned? If people think our young people are more unruly than their European counterparts they're wrong. It's just another case of our public services being below par.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

gozunda wrote: »
    I think that was already covered tbf.

The comment you linked to is rubbish, look at how dense the crowd is at it:
    K4kvpbW.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_mcguirk/status/1399032615705972736

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Glenomra wrote: »
    Regardless of capacity it's still 135,000 people attending an event whilst many commentators in Ireland descend into breakdowns over a few hundred gathered in a Dublin street.

135,000 people atteding an event that are fully vaccinated... That's the difference...We'll get there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think this story is trying to scare the population, but it can't be telling the whole truth.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/vigilance-urged-as-young-people-fight-for-life-in-icus-40483892.html

It says young people are fighting for their lives in ICU, and unvaccinated young people are now most at risk.

First off, if there are young people fighting for their lives in ICU, they must have underlying health issues. We all know that the vast majority of the younger generation do not suffer any great side effects from catching covid.

And the 2nd statement, is almost trying to scare young people into worrying about catching it. Yes they probably are most at risk of catching it, but if catching it has no effect of you, will they really care? And if they are compromised by a health issue, they won't be taking any risks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

We need to open the toilets! I was on a beach in East Cork, relaxing on a rock and got this horrible waft all of sudden. Looked behind me and a few rocks away, a huge pile of what looked very definitely like human faeces.

There was a block of toilets, which appeared to be locked shut.

It’s absolutely vile and a danger to public health too.

People are getting caught short, but this idea that you can operate without toilets is just la la land stuff.

Put a few large extractor fans into the toilets to keep the air moving and open them.

We can’t just return to the early 19th century - a time before plumbing because of the coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Just small anecdote not that it matters.

Met a few friends outside a pub yesterday that has just opened this weekend for takeaway pints. Big square opposite pub and multiple food businesses surrounding. Got there at 3pm and bins were already full. I’d like to think myself and mates are very responsible but we had to stack all our empty plastic glasses until we left approx 7pm. One of the lads took our collection home but it was visible no one else were making the effort.

Was my first time seeing mates over a pint since this kicked off so was absolutely amazing atmosphere IMO. Don’t blame younger people for doing same in Dublin. With over 50% of vulnerable vaccinated there has to be a point where people are given the choice to make their own risk decisions.

Agreed.i have huge sympathy for the younger generation. The majority of the blame lies with the irresponsible publicans - who arnt even suppose to be open yet! And the lack of planning by goverment, and non existent enforcment of the law by the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We need to open the toilets! I was on a beach in East Cork, relaxing on a rock and got this horrible waft all of sudden. Looked behind me and a few rocks away, a huge pile of what looked very definitely like human faeces.
    There was a block of toilets, which appeared to be locked shut.
    It’s absolutely vile and a danger to public health too.
    People are getting caught short, but this idea that you can operate without toilets is just la la land stuff.
    Put a few large extractor fans into the toilets to keep the air moving and open them.
    We can’t just return to the early 19th century - a time before plumbing because of the coronavirus.

You can't seriously expect county councils to operate as if it is 2021 in the middle of a global pandemic and disturb their workers from their slumber...
    Have you no shame?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The pub no/low music thing is annoying to understand and justify

Parks are full of groups with Bluetooth speakers and no shouting or anything is been done

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The pub no/low music thing is annoying to understand and justify

Parks are full of groups with Bluetooth speakers and no shouting or anything is been done

As I've said many times, the one thing about Irish bureaucracy is that they'll always invent a new rule/regulation for the sake of it rather than because of its inherent utility.

Glenomra wrote: »

Of course it matters depending on size. A few hundred of people on 1 Street is people shoved together then some. It can hold 400,000 that is a third the capacity. Also all allowed entry had to be fully vaccinated

Agreed.i have huge sympathy for the younger generation. The majority of the blame lies with the irresponsible publicans - who arnt even suppose to be open yet! And the lack of planning by goverment, and non existent enforcment of the law by the guards.

Aren't takeaway drinks allowed? So you blame the publicans not the actual people for leaving there litter. Also if it is illegal they are more at fault for being there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Didn't realise that outdoor service was allowed already. Had 3 tasty pints at Bunratty Castle today, first since September.

Advertisement