Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House hunting in Tallaght

Options
  • 02-05-2021 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My partner and I are looking to buy a house and Tallaght is looking like a potential spot - particularly Tymon North, Kilnamanagh and Kingswood.

How are these three spots? So far I've heard that they're settled areas with very little issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Tymon North and kilnamanagh are grand. Not sure about Kingswood. Look at greenhills, Oldbawn, Bancroft and firhouse(pricey enough though)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Kilnamanagh is very settled ,as is Old Bawn and Bancroft .
    Houses is Old Bawn are getting near enough to 400k if in good condition and converted garage etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Tymon can be iffy in places. Firhouse or kilnamanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Robbie1986 wrote: »
    My partner and I are looking to buy a house and Tallaght is looking like a potential spot - particularly Tymon North, Kilnamanagh and Kingswood.

How are these three spots? So far I've heard that they're settled areas with very little issues.

Live in Kilnamanagh over 40yrs love the place. Kingswood not bad but avoid shops and green areas. Tymon North near Glenview end ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Originally from Bancroft and would move back in a heart beat. Other than that, it’d would be Kingswood near the new school. For some reason part of Citywest is called Kingswood and shouldn’t be, it’s citywest. We were looking at Kingswood ourselves, is a good setttled area, close to amenities and n7/m50. Was looking at kilnamanagh, but was advised against it from friends that still live up there. Tymon is meant to have calmed down a lot, but just doesn’t appeal to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Glenview, Balrothery, Castle Park all very settled..now that i've moved out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bervbers

Prices are about 200,000 to 300,0000 sold priced from property price register or

Sale Price Address
    19/04/2021 €340,000.00 17 PARKHILL CLOSE, KILNAMANAGH, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    19/04/2021 €230,000.00 32 ALEN HALL, BELGARD SQ, TALLAGHT, Dublin 24
    16/04/2021 €312,000.00 7 HOMELAWN DRIVE, TALLAGHT, DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    15/04/2021 €320,000.00 5 ALPINE RISE, BELGARD HEIGHTS, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    09/04/2021 €376,000.00 14 CORBALLY DR, TALLAGHT, DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    09/04/2021 €248,000.00 ** 89 SESKIN VIEW RD, TALLAGHT, DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    09/04/2021 €220,000.00 9A RAHEEN AVENUE, TALLAGHT, CO. DUBLIN
    08/04/2021 €155,726.00 33 DRUMCAIRN AVE, FETTERCAIRN, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    01/04/2021 €477,973.00 14 Kingswood Mews, Kingswood Heights, Tallaght, Dublin 24
    01/04/2021 €427,000.00 14 THE GARTH, KINGSWOOD HEIGHTS, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    01/04/2021 €253,000.00 23 ALDERWOOD GREEN, SPRINGFIELD, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    01/04/2021 €335,000.00 28 THE RISE, KINGSWOOD HEIGHTS, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    31/03/2021 €347,500.00 12 OLD BAWN PARK, TALLAGHT, DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    31/03/2021 €160,000.00 48 MOYNIHAN COURT, MAIN RD, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    30/03/2021 €250,000.00 34 HORAN HALL, BELGARD SQ, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    29/03/2021 €377,500.00 12 WATERMILL CLOSE, OLDBAWN, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    29/03/2021 €210,000.00 44D ALLEN HALL, BELGARD SQ, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    29/03/2021 €226,000.00 452 CUSHLAWN PARK, TALLAGHT, DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    26/03/2021 €220,000.00 17 ELLENSBOROUGH LODGE, KILTIPPER, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    26/03/2021 €185,000.00 APARTMENT 5, NEW BANCROFT HALL, TALLAGHT
    25/03/2021 €205,000.00 87 KILTIPPER GATE, TALLAGHT, DUBLIN, Dublin 24
    22/03/2021 €289,000.00 65 HAZELGROVE, OLD BLESSINGTON RD, TALLAGHT DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    22/03/2021 €200,000.00 96 WESTEND GATE, TALLAGHT, DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    19/03/2021 €293,000.00 253 GLENVIEW PARK, TALLAGHT, DUBLIN 24, Dublin 24
    19/03/2021 €153,500.00 APT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I would avoid Tymon. Some estates are ok.
    But I will admit I’m basing this information from about 20+ years ago. I’d would not live their again myself. The other areas you mentioned are fine.

Basing your knowledge of an area 20+ years ago is no help. Where I grew up 20+ years ago was very dodgy, but now is great. Places mature and tymon north isn't bad(in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Tymon is hit or miss so id avoid.
    Kilnamanagh is very settled, I have a few friends living there and they are very happy. No complaints.

Kingswood, lived there myself for a while. Id avoid close to the shops but otherwise we found it grand.

Oldbawn, Aylesbury, Glenview are also decent. If you start going outside of that Ballycullen and firhouse area are decent, green hills too but you will find the prices start to rise then

• Advertisement

Parts of Tymon are iffy, I know someone attacked by a gang. New library built and the windows went in before it even opened. Kilnamanagh is ok. Firhouse is good, Killinarden - in places iffy, Watermeadow area and Old Bawn is quite nice and mature, Woodlawn in Firhouse is nice, Ely and Ballycullen ok.

Kilinarden away from the park keep away from. village side is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

All three are fine to be honest, Kilnamanagh would be my preference of the three.

Old Bawn, Aylesbury, Bancroft all worth a look as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Parts of Tymon are iffy, I know someone attacked by a gang. New library built and the windows went in before it even opened. Kilnamanagh is ok. Firhouse is good, Killinarden - in places iffy, Watermeadow area and Old Bawn is quite nice and mature, Woodlawn in Firhouse is nice, Ely and Ballycullen ok.

The windows are boarded with insulation for protection while the contractors aren’t onsite with COVID. Nothing was smashed. Stop the scaremongering.
    It’s still boarded. Still not open. Still intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

I lived/owned in Kilnamanagh from 2012 to 2019 and would recommend it without hesitation. Nice quiet area with lots of green space and right beside Kingswood luas stop. Small playground there now too.

The windows are boarded with insulation for protection while the contractors aren’t onsite with COVID. Nothing was smashed. Stop the scaremongering.
    I saw them! There is also a green, to the side of it where gangs have bonfires and order deliveries. When the driver arrived, they attacked him and tried to pull the drivers wife out of the car. Go on, tell me I am making it up. I can provide the proof to mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Does the added protection and boarding up not tell its own story?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

hurikane wrote: »
    Does the added protection and boarding up not tell its own story?

Many sites were boarded up while construction were not working .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Old Bawn is the best part of Tallaght. Decent sized houses and no estates need avoiding. M50 access either side of you, square, tallaght village, lidl,aldi, multiple pubs/ schools all within a 5/10 min walk. Watergate Park and Dodder Park also 5/10 min walks.

Disclaimer : I live there;)

There was an arson attack on the library site during construction. Tymon is ok if you are ok with the drugs dealing and scramble bikes
    Some parts are bit better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Old Bawn is the best part of Tallaght. Decent sized houses and no estates need avoiding. M50 access either side of you, square, tallaght village, lidl,aldi, multiple pubs/ schools all within a 5/10 min walk. Watergate Park and Dodder Park also 5/10 min walks.

Disclaimer : I live there;)

Lol.

OP there is no such thing as best part of Tallaght. Large parts of Tallaght are quite mature and settled now. Areas that could be construed as problematic are more situated to the west of Tallaght . Traditional large swathes of current social and ex social housing. These areas still have problems associated with young lower income families but again minority can cause Trouble for others.

Area in Tallaght that would be good to live all containing schools childcare shopping and close to public transport. Kilnamanagh , Belgard, Kingswood, Oldbawn, bawnoque, Tymon.

These areas by their nature are settled a long time varying degrees of pricing but lately pricing seems to be going quite north so don't expect bargains to appear often. Although you can be lucky.

Some of these locations are serviced by the Luas which could be a valuable consideration for easier quick access to the city.

Disclaimer I grew up and lived in Tallaght , moved out because I fancied something bigger and detached that Tallaght can't provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I couldn't agree re Tymon. Most of the estates are ropey AF. A lot of Bancroft backs onto these estates as well with direct lane way accesses and the park.

Nowhere in Tallaght is far from antisocial estates but Oldbawn and Kilnamanagh offer the best buffers IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Bawnogue ain't in tallaght. Nor would I recommend buying there.

Speedline wrote: »

Correct and true

I couldn't agree re Tymon. Most of the estates are ropey AF. A lot of Bancroft backs onto these estates as well with direct lane way accesses and the park.

Nowhere in Tallaght is far from antisocial estates but Oldbawn and Kilnamanagh offer the best buffers IMHO.

I know.

Absolute warzones.

Lived in tymonville still know many there. Often described as the Balkans . There was tanks rolling through their last week I believe from the UN.

Have a look at some of the estates beside Shrewsbury/Aylesbury Road. It's dublin. Always going to have dodgy areas close to good ones(even one road).

What's Springfield like now? Decent size estate, but haven't been there in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Speedline wrote: »

:D couple of mad ones in this thread.
    Greenhills isn't tallaght either.
    Templeogue is closer, maybe that's next;)

Ken Tucky wrote:
    couple of mad ones in this thread. Greenhills isn't tallaght either. Templeogue is closer, maybe that's next

It was just suggestion of a place close by. Might offer options to look further into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

There's definitely been an upsurge in anti social behaviour in the Tymon area over the last couple of years unfortunately.

I'd have Kilnamanagh and Kingswood well ahead of Tymon tbh

Advertisement