Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House hunting in Tallaght

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Many years ago? How many? I grew up in Greenpark 23 years ago(plus a couple of decades). Guess what it was rough, but it's settled now. Still one road in the estate I wouldn't live on.

Many years ago? How many? I grew up in Greenpark 23 years ago(plus a couple of decades). Guess what it was rough, but it's settled now. Still one road in the estate I wouldn't live on.

This point, exactly. It could be said for a lot of areas in Tallaght. And I think you can pretty much say the same for any suburb of Dublin, Cork, or Limerick.

I've lived in three separate parts of Tallaght, grew up in a West Tallaght council estate, house-shared, then rented in another private estate, until I finally bought in another.

Even within the council estate, the road I grew up on was lovely and quiet, great neighbours, while there were other roads that were nost definitely not. It could be like night and day by just by turning a corner. But that was 30 years ago. Its settled now.

OP, just do your due diligence that you would do anywhere you want to buy. Whatever house you're looking at, visit it during different times of the day, and night. Same for the nearest set of shops.

Don't let those who would generalise a whole area with a population of over 80,000 people, as "bad" because of the minority. Tallaght is a very good place to live, with lots of facilities, everything you need is on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Only people from tallaght, want to live in Tallaght. The OP is trying to make the best of a bad situation, they are looking for the areas with the least issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Leilak wrote:
    Ive lived in Firhouse my whole life and its definately not in Tallaght for a start, I was married to a guy from Castle Park many years ago and it was an absolute hellhole!

Firhouse is not in tallaght?

Where did it move to?

bigmac3 wrote: »
    Only people from, want to live in Tallaght. The OP is trying to make the best of a bad situation, they are looking for the areas with the least issues.

Why would someone who is from Tallaght, need to come onto a discussion forum to ask questions about Tallaght?

Doesn't sound to me like the OP is from Tallaght, yet they're considering purchasing a house there.

Go figure.

• Advertisement

Why would someone who is from Tallaght, need to come onto a discussion forum to ask questions about Tallaght?

Doesn't sound to me like the OP is from Tallaght, yet they're considering purchasing a house there.

Go figure.

Clearly circumstances are dictating Tallaght, they don’t want to live there but are trying to make the best of it.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Firhouse is not in tallaght?

Where did it move to?

Tymon South

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Only people from, want to live in Tallaght. The OP is trying to make the best of a bad situation, they are looking for the areas with the least issues.

Not only single person on my road is originally from Tallaght ??
    Are you purposely out to insult people from Tallaght ? What is your issue ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Not only single person on my road is originally from Tallaght ??

Not a single person on your road dreamt of living in Tallaght, circumstances dictated it.

Not a single person on your road dreamt of living in Tallaght, circumstances dictated it.

Oh whatever !! I am not biting

• Advertisement

Clearly circumstances are dictating Tallaght, they don’t want to live there but are trying to make the best of it.

Go figure.

Can you indicate where they said that?

Thanks

What is your problem? Honestly, do you have anything constructive to add to the OP? Tallaght is a good area to live in. People have added opinions on various areas. It's a big place. I'm also not from tallaght, but have lived there. Loved it.

Edit: tell us where you're from.

Thanks

Check the OP

Thanks

I agree with you that At no stage did the OP say he didn’t want to live in Tallaght . His question was only about various areas

Op . Bancroft , Kilnamanagh , Old Bawn , Millbrook , Aylsbury , Kingswood , Belgard are all grand settled areas .
    Personally I would avoid close to shops in any area be it Kingswood or Rathgar because of teenagers and noise .

@iamwhoiam, I think you quoted me by mistake. I agree with you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

What a ridiculous statement.

@iamwhoiam, I think you quoted me by mistake. I agree with you. ;)

No i was agreeing with you too !! Just reiterating the point you made !
    I think we are both on the same page all along !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My nephew and his intended have just had a bid accepted in Old Bawn. Lovely house, converted garage, three bathrooms, well kept road. The price though, OMG 445k. Looks like a great area. Neither of them live near there at the moment, parents in Kimmage and Rathfarnham. Big adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Worthless, trollish posts. Don't post in this thread again.

My nephew and his intended have just had a bid accepted in Old Bawn. Lovely house, converted garage, three bathrooms, well kept road. The price though, OMG 445k. Looks like a great area. Neither of them live near there at the moment, parents in Kimmage and Rathfarnham. Big adventure!

Have to get a passport to get back to the folks(joke). Only thing I think tallaght really misses is a decent pub. I generally go to the glashaus Hotel for one if I'm thirsty. Otherwise its either the pines or the halfway house(going foreign)
    And generally old Bawn is a great area. Quiet and loads of stuff on their doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Have to get a passport to get back to the folks(joke). Only thing I think tallaght really misses is a decent pub. I generally go to the glashaus Hotel for one if I'm thirsty. Otherwise its either the pines or the halfway house(going foreign)
    And generally old Bawn is a great area. Quiet and loads of stuff on their doorstep.

Obviously haven't been in The Old Mill circa 1am then?

Seriously though, 445k!
    Everyone, stop bigging up Tallaght, we're pricing ourselves out of our own market!

Obviously haven't been in The Old Mill circa 1am then?

Not in a long time. Covid stuff is over, I'll see you there!

I would kill for a sit down carvery in The Old Mill right about now.

Roast beef, please. Extra gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tallaghts lack of pubs comes from the old basis where it was nigh on impossible to get a new pub close to an existing one, meaning 70s and 80s built suburban Dublin got a thousand capacity beer-barn every square mile or so rather than multiple smaller pubs like the city had. Blanchardstown was similar but got extra pubs in/around the shopping centre and so on.

Then, with the Cuckoos Nest, Browns Barn, Belgard Inn and Mollys all closed in the last decade or so, the choice is even lower.

As you can see OP, tallaght is a good community. We'll see you in the old mill for a carvery and a pint(extra gravy).

L1011 wrote:
    Then, with the Cuckoos Nest, Browns Barn, Belgard Inn and Mollys all closed in the last decade or so, the choice is even lower.

I did not know that. Previous part of your post. Never liked the cuckoo's nest, but was my folks watering hole before I was born. Still remember farm's around there!

As you can see OP, tallaght is a good community. We'll see you in the old mill for a carvery and a pint(extra gravy).

I long for it ! Soon again we can !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Lack of pubs?? Ahernes is literally on my doorstep and does a savage Guinness. The mill only a few hundred yards further up the road. Molloys for a nice feed and a game of darts.

No shortage of pubs as far as I'm concerned. Need a few nice restaurants, Peachtree is the only spot I could even remotely class as upmarket and thats a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Yes technically. Its still used by alot of people in old Bawn and if you walk 10yards from the entrance your in old Bawn. Either way I was advising not to look around there for houses

Are you confusing Dominic's shops with the shops across from the old mill?

• Advertisement

I did not know that. Previous part of your post. Never liked the cuckoo's nest, but was my folks watering hole before I was born. Still remember farm's around there!

We had a hiking group in school ( lived in Terenure ) we got the bus to the Priory and hiked up tye counrty Old Bawn rd to the Bridget Bourkes ( now the Mill ) and up to the waterworks
    It was a country road with fields all round it and blackberry bushes along the Old Bawn rd

Advertisement