Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House hunting in Tallaght

Options
124»

Comments

The Belgard was my usual when I frequented pubs and nightclubs back in the day. Shame its gone now.

The Jobstown Inn actually does a really good carvery,too. During the first lockdown, they delivered 50 free carvery dinners every Sunday out to "first come first served" locally, who were self-isolating.

A neighbour of mine raves about their cooked breakfast. Says its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

iamwhoiam wrote:
    We had a hiking group in school ( lived in Terenure ) we got the bus to the Priory and hiked up tye counrty Old Bawn rd to the Bridget Bourkes ( now the Mill ) and up to the waterworks It was a country road with fields all round it and blackberry bushes along the Old Bawn rd

Nostalgia. Remember going across the road from "down the dip" to pick elderflower. (Get a feeling I'm the old man here)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So it's settled, soon as lockdown is over we're all going for a session in the mill to chat about how much we love Tallaght! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My parents started their married life in Tallaght (some years before me), I worked there for seven years, I haven't been to the Mill yet and I'm dying for a night out - count me in :pac:

Ush1 wrote:
    So it's settled, soon as lockdown is over we're all going for a session in the mill to chat about how much we love Tallaght!

Not I. I want the OPs house price to increase. Can't be having blowins wrecking the area.

• Advertisement

Kinda cool. a tallaght boards get together (apart from tymon North apparently).

Edit: I'm originally from d12...so you're all twice as good as me.
    Do I get kudos for living above the metro for 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nailstar

I grew up in Tymon and bought my first house in Kilnamanagh, If I had the inclination to move back to Dublin, I would have no hesitation in buying in Kilnamanagh again

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

some scary stuff in this thread - avoid green areas and shops? jaysis!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

timeToLive wrote: »

As I said I personally would avoid living close by shops regardless of where I lived . Just a personal thing but it would be too busy and loud for me . Its like saying I would avoid living on a main road because of noise or beside a junior school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

timeToLive wrote: »

Thought you were going to refer to a night out in The Mill there:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Ush1 wrote:
    So it's settled, soon as lockdown is over we're all going for a session in the mill to chat about how much we love Tallaght!

Are those people from firhouse who say its not in Tallaght invited?

Yes! I'm from greenhills, so I want to meet all the gorgeous d24ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

Mickey mouse snobs as the aul fella calls them

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

https://youtu.be/anUv_PBy1SI

Might ring a few bells for some posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Kingswood is a fairly nice settled area. I lived there for five years. Decent park close by, although some of the adjacent agricultural land near newlands cemetery is due for residential development. Its well served by the luas. Quick to get on the M50 or N7. Most houses are 3 bed.
    You have a few teens hanging around the shop alrite, but that's nearly everywhere. I haven't heard of much trouble in the five years there.

https://youtu.be/anUv_PBy1SI

Might ring a few bells for some posters.

I noticed Monge was missing from the Glenview roundabout, last time I drove past, on Friday gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

sugarman wrote: »
    While not as many as there used to be, theres definitely no shortage of decent pubs around Tallaght depending what area you're in!

Molloys, The Dragon, The Old Mill, Aherns, Kiltipper, Clock Tower, Penny Black, Jobstown House, Mortons, Speaker Connolly, Scholars etc.. as well as few hotels like the Abberly, Plaza, Moldron and Glashaus that have nice bars.
    The abberley is now a homeless hub. Not a hotel any more. Kiltipper went from a good honest pub with good grub, to a rebranded monstrosity. Now called something ponsy with flowers and neon lighting everywhere. Meals went posh as well. Ordered a lasagne salad one day. Came out with wedges, fancy salad and all sorts of snobby presentation. Just wanted a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Leilak wrote: »
    Ive lived in Firhouse my whole life and its definately not in Tallaght for a start, I was married to a guy from Castle Park many years ago and it was an absolute hellhole!

Ah come on it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

drove through avonbeg road the other day to old bawn to collect the wife who's from there it seems a lot of house's for sale in ballbrook i wonder is that a good place to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

sugarman wrote: »
    Its still called the Abberly Court Hotel and has essentially been a homeless hub for well over 10 years anyway with families being put up in their rooms. The only difference being now is the vacant nightclub was converted into common area facilities for the families and officially branded a hub. The bar and function rooms below have always and still are completely separate and have been unaffected by the official change in use of the premises above. I was in it the summer before last and it was grand. Nice outdoor beer garden too.

Haven't been the Kiltipper in years though, their food was always top notch in the past so disappointing to hear that. Will have to check it out again when all this blows over.
    I walked into the Abberley for a reason and was surprised it was now a hub. Its really depressing, from the car park spaces outside by the Kundran, you can look up and see really cramped spaces, bunk beds, and kids playing. Feel really bad for them. Kiltipper has smaller plates for the food, more dressed up now. More posh, and designer. Maybe thats the way forward, maybe it isn't, just not my thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

IMO, best areas in Tallaght are: Belgard & Kingswood (not near the shops). Citywest doesn't have a great reputation, although with the amount of construction going on there, I wonder will the area improve as young professionals move into these houses. Time will tell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Glenview, Balrothery, Castle Park all very settled..now that i've moved out:D

And im gone too so that helps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I bought a house approx 2 years ago, but I was house-hunting for approx 4 years before that. I've viewed many many houses in many estates and parts of the city.

If you take into consideration what you get for your money when buying: the house itself, the atmosphere, how quiet and settled the area is, the local amenities, green areas, sports for kids, things to do locally, proximity to shops, doctors, vets, hardware, proximity to the hospital, to the motorway, to the Luas... everything you need...........

I would place money down with any man that Kilnamanagh is one of the best pound for pound places to buy a house in the city.

And i'm from the northside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

... On the subject of Tallaght- myself and girlfriend are looking to buy here... Ideally Old Bawn but nothing coming up in our budget... We've seen a couple of really nice places in Springfield tallaght... we drove by the area and it seems ok, but a couple of people have said not a good area to buy in... Would anyone know or have a real sense of what it's like, the community, the people living there in general?... Any info is appreciated whether positive or negative even if you can PM... Thanks!...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Brianboru39

Kingswood, Firhouse and Old Bawn are best areas , issue I’d have with Springfield is a lot of renters and the area at Square very transient
    ... On the subject of Tallaght- myself and girlfriend are looking to buy here... Ideally Old Bawn but nothing coming up in our budget... We've seen a couple of really nice places in Springfield tallaght... we drove by the area and it seems ok, but a couple of people have said not a good area to buy in... Would anyone know or have a real sense of what it's like, the community, the people living there in general?... Any info is appreciated whether positive or negative even if you can PM... Thanks!...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If looking at Springfield, try to stick to the side closest to the square/hospital. The other side of it can sometimes get a bit of the 'overflow' of the crap from Jobstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Brianboru39

Blowfish wrote: »
    If looking at Springfield, try to stick to the side closest to the square/hospital. The other side of it can sometimes get a bit of the 'overflow' of the crap from Jobstown.

I’d disagree with this
    Nicest roads in Springfield are actually at the Fettercairn end near the GAA club which actually back out onto cooks town Luas stop
    The area near Square isn’t as nice

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tallaght_Sale

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058189168

;)

Springfield has been a wonderful place for myself it's a very quiet neighbourhood now.(Even though I am biased seeing as I live there). Further out past the park I would probably pause at myself. :)

Advertisement