Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbed.ie

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Enter Username Here

I have looked for answers to that, and it seems that paying excess is the new normal. I have never heard of it before, and they have not replied to my polite requests.

Hi,

I paid full insurance for a year when I purchased the phone, could you please explain to me what the excess fees are required for.

Regards,

After a lot of googling, I could only find UK results, none from EU and those results seem to imply that it is a fee towards their cost to repair the phone. I eventually found the fee in the many (7) documents that were emailed to me.

Personally, I find it a bit scammy and disingenuous to not have it mentioned when purchasing the insurance and the only place that I have found it mentioned is in the GCI (General Conditions of Insurance) received after the Insurance was purchased.

It effectively means that any insurance claims will cost €80 if the phone was between €100 and €299.99 as the initial full insurance policy costs €30

I guess it is my own fault for not reading all of the documents after purchasing it. But I will post this for the benefit of any potential future buyers of the insurance. These are the excess fees on top of the insurance, should you make a claim.

This image will automatically delete after 1 month - not by choice.

https://hostimagepro.com/teQPdrAiKo85unK

Apart from the excess fees, I find both refurbed and refurbed insurance horrible to deal with, not impolite, but painfully slow.

I would 100% not recommend going for the insurance on a phone within the above mentioned bracket unless you just plan on claiming it as lost or stolen. It will still likely take close to two months to get it sorted, from my experience anyway.

I honestly believe that it may never have been addressed if I had not persisted in contacting them using any method I could find.

In most cases it would be cheaper to have it repaired locally or buy a kit from ifixit.com including screen or parts and do it yourself with a guide.

I had no issues with the phone itself before the accident, my main issues are their support and insurance with excess fees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

any insurance I have ever had has had an excess. Somethings it’s zero but the policy would state it’s zero.

the last tech insurance I had which was 2009 had an excess for a damaged laptop. I had to pay the first €100 or what ever it was for a repair

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Enter Username Here

I've never heard of it before, but maybe my tech has been less expensive. This was a pixel 4a 5g. A relatively old phone to begin with.

I have taken out insurance before, but IIRC I never had the need to use it. As this was called a full policy, I assumed (I know, never assume) that it was fully covered. Paint this any colour at all, it just smells of scammy by the insurance company. The amount of people that must be paying insurance not realising that and it going straight to the insurance company must be fairly high. I will only imagine that if more people knew how it worked that they wouldn't bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sensible assessment

Advertisement