Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Sky Box

• 03-05-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I've been using an old sky box (Grundig DV3), yes as old as the hills :). Honestly, I didnt need premium channels, am happy with UK main channels, news channels etc.

Hard to believe the box (originally on subscription) still working after nearly 15 years.

More and more channels going HD so gradually will loose channels. I wondered can any advise on a replacement with HD. I'm hoping to work of same Dish which has been replaced and reasonably new.

Thanks in advance.

PS I have saorview seperatly with aerial (Location not great but works a treat)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been using an old sky box (Grundig DV3), yes as old as the hills :). Honestly, I didnt need premium channels, am happy with UK main channels, news channels etc.

Hard to believe the box (originally on subscription) still working after nearly 15 years.

More and more channels going HD so gradually will loose channels. I wondered can any advise on a replacement with HD. I'm hoping to work of same Dish which has been replaced and reasonably new.

Thanks in advance.

Just replace it with a sky hd box which are readily available. To bring up the English epg instead of the Irish one just get your hands on an old uk card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Dempo1 wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

There are lots of reasonable STBs available, some mentioned in threads here.
    You might even consider a combi box so you can integrate Saorview and FTA Sat into one channel list, arranged in whatever order you choose.

There should be no problem connecting to present dish and aerial.

Devices like these (there are many others)

https://www.freetv.ie/satellite/receivers/combo/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There are lots of reasonable STBs available, some mentioned in threads here.
    You might even consider a combi box so you can integrate Saorview and FTA Sat into one channel list, arranged in whatever order you choose.

There should be no problem connecting to present dish and aerial.

Devices like these (there are many others)

https://www.freetv.ie/satellite/receivers/combo/

Thanks for that, exactly what I was looking for, dealt with freetv in the past, excellent service.

Those boxes pick up the Irish channels too I'm assuming?

Afaik, the sky boxes don't have Irish channels free to air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

6 wrote: »

If you have a combi box the UK channels come in on the satellite cable. The Irish channels come in on the saorview cable.
    Both going in to the same box allows you have one channel list on one remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

6 wrote: »

Correct on both counts. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thanks all, will chat with FreeTv, your help sincerely appreciated :)

Advertisement