Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work environment is causing tinnitus

• 03-05-2021 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am a teacher. Due to covid19, I have been teaching in a sports hall since September. My tinnitus started back in September too. The large space means that I have to project my voice at a very loud level all day in order for my students to hear me. Since the return to school in March, my tinnitus is very bad. My ear is constantly sore and ringing right throughout the night. I have tried teaching with a microphone, but the tinnitus has not improved.

I have only 8 weeks left until I can get out of there, but given how bad my ear is, 8 weeks seems like a very long time in that environment.
    I am not a permanent teacher and the circle of principals is very small. If I left the job or took sick leave, it would be a major black mark against me (strange, but that's the way teaching works, especially for a newer non permanent member of the profession).

Should I stick it out for the next 8 weeks, especially as the damage is already done to my ears? Or am I compromising my health by continuing in this work environment? Any thoughts and advice welcome. TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Thank you for your post OP. The advice you are seeking seems to be more of a medical nature and something you should see your GP about for their professional advice.

I'm going to lock the thread in the circumstances and suggest you make contact with your GP. In the meantime however, there is a thread on Tinnitus in the Long Term Illness Forum, which may be of some help to you.

All the best

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement