Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to Shave the legs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

breezy1985 wrote: »
    They show off your ankle. It's the kind of shameful muck that triathletes would wear
    As in those cut off ones which are basically shoe inserts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aha - i did buy a pack of those by accident once. they have gone unworn.
    though i think that's different to what many people understand by 'ankle socks' which is what was confusing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,170 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Eh no
    As in those cut off ones which are basically shoe inserts?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Many of the rules are just a bit of fun and I wouldn't worry too much.

But ankle socks are an absolute sin and have no place near a bike

What’s the alternative, knee socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

The only valid reasons for shaving your legs are if you're getting them massaged (otherwise the friction and hair pulling is pain upon pain) or if you're at risk crashing regularly (i.e. you race a lot in a bunch or you're **** at bike handling).

After that, it's aesthetics. If you care about looking good to other cyclists who take themselves too seriously, do it. :D

• Advertisement

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    The cuff of the sock should be half the length of your foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

All this sock talk, if only there was someone to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

Not these...

4994f634-bac1-4bcb-aadf-924bf3c285e1.jpg

More like these...

GUEST_07d693eb-221b-41e4-ae1e-c6df0a7ceaf6?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cletus wrote: »
    If I'm wearing shorts on the bike, then I'm wearing ankle socks. Sometimes they're so low, it looks like I'm not wearing socks at all
    All of my socks on or off the bike getting into this time of year when I'll be in some kind of shorts all the time are ankle socks.
    You are both dead to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not these...

More like these...
    Post reported, your lifestyle choices disgust me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Eh no
    Unless you're on the way to a fancy dress party, dressed as an 80s tennis player, ankle socks are unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

Biker79 wrote: »
    Unless you're on the way to a fancy dress party, dressed as an 80s tennis player, ankle socks are unacceptable.

I'm wearing them right now. I wear them to work. I wear them running. I always wear them with shorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Eh no
    I'm wearing them right now. I wear them to work. I wear them running. I always wear them with shorts

Unless you're chasing after a bike thief, running is also unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ha ha ....I didn't know what a fred was either.. ...

The only one I failed on was the legs shaved and I can tell you I absolutly won't be shaving my legs !!!!!

The one thing I do and im kind of setting myself up for being banned from cycling forum ..... I do a bit of running also and I often use my cycling shirts to store hat/ jellies in back pocket while running..... I realise sometimes when cyclist see me running I look like I've had my bike stolen .

Eh no
    Nigzcurran wrote: »

No just normal cycling socks. Don't worry the UCI have rules for it if you get stuck

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/check-illegal-socks-reaction-uci-introduces-maximum-sock-height-2019-400273/amp

Eh no
    Unless you're chasing after a bike thief, running is also unacceptable.

All this disgusting sock talk always goes back to triathletes. Who of sound mind gets off a bike to run

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CramCycle wrote: »
    For the time and effort, no, for nearly all of us there is no risk to not doing it
    That depends on how far you take the cut-throat......

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You've just given me an idea for a house-warming

I bagsie McEnroe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Right so the socks that go halfway between ankle and knee are ok??

Beasty wrote: »
    You've just given me an idea for a house-warming

I bagsie McEnroe
    You can not be serious!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eh no
    Shaven legs?
    Yes.
    Hairy legs on a bike look weird and wrong. I've been so institutionalised by cycling that hairy legs in general look weird and wrong to me :pac:

Runner Ankle sock things?
    Nope.
    And I say that as someone who wears odd socks.
    I am aware that that nullifies everything I've said :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the last time i wet shaved was IIRC the morning of may 10th 2003, and the only reason i remember that date is was i was best man at my brother's wedding that day.
    the idea ot wet shaving just seems like such a faff now. i've not paid for a haircut since about 1997 either. i'm reasonably low maintenance on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Eh no

The one thing I do and im kind of setting myself up for being banned from cycling forum ..... I do a bit of running also and I often use my cycling shirts to store hat/ jellies in back pocket while running..... I realise sometimes when cyclist see me running I look like I've had my bike stolen .

Oh, its far worse than that.
    You look like a .........a.......triathlethe! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have hairy legs but I gave them a blade 1 trim, so there's still hair there.

My legs do be filthy after a cycle amd yes, I do want to show off my nice calves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Eh no
    It started off aesthetics' but makes eczema cream/ sunblock so much easier and less mess to apply.

I couldn't go that short on the socks, after me constantly slagging my tween and teen girls over "are you even wearing socks?" nearly every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Female tennis socks basically.

Abominations on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

From what I see:

Most racers shave
    Most sportivers don't shave

I shave and couldn't go back to rocking the fuzz

Shavers shave because:

The pros do it
    They think it looks good

Most amateur sportspersons copy the pros. Look at golfers wearing one glove and taking it off for putts. Imitation is real yo :eek:

You could always try it once. If it's not for you it will grow back to its original look. You won't turn into a yeti

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Green is Growing

100% shave your legs.

Otherwise forever be branded a Fred.

The sad part is this is unironically how many cyclists think. I know some of you are joking but it's such an elitist unfriendly sport because of shíte like this.

Eh no
    The sad part is this is unironically how many cyclists think. I know some of you are joking but it's such an elitist unfriendly sport because of shíte like this.

Typical Fred talk there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

As socks were mentioned, since my return to cycling after a long lay off, one of the worst changes I've come across is the introduction of high socks. It's just wrong. Not to mention black socks - also wrong.

Advertisement