Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to Shave the legs?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,170 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Eh no
    gn3dr wrote: »
    As socks were mentioned, since my return to cycling after a long lay off, one of the worst changes I've come across is the introduction of high socks. It's just wrong. Not to mention black socks - also wrong.

There are even people now who think it's wrong for white kits to have white shorts.

Shameful stuff altogether.

Being serious I think the real reason UCI banned long socks is they were getting worried about compression gear. I think swimming and tennis have had similar problems recently

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

gn3dr wrote: »
    As socks were mentioned, since my return to cycling after a long lay off, one of the worst changes I've come across is the introduction of high socks. It's just wrong. Not to mention black socks - also wrong.

Must have seen me passing by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Ive looked through some old threads on this and there were mixed opinions on it but the last one was 5 years ago. I'm new to cycling and have never shaved my legs. With the summer coming along is it time to get the Veet / razor out?

Do you shave your legs or not and what are your reasons for doing so?

Did the full shave there this evening, about 8 months of wiry hairs clogging up the bath afterwards; I did it simply because its what proper road cyclists have done for generations and my pasty white Irish legs might get the benefit of some sunshine hereafter. Plus I feel faster with shaven legs, maybe it's a weight thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

Did the full shave there this evening, about 8 months of wiry hairs clogging up the bath afterwards; I did it simply because its what proper road cyclists have done for generations and my pasty white Irish legs might get the benefit of some sunshine hereafter. Plus I feel faster with shaven legs, maybe it's a weight thing!

Not sure whether this is argumentum ad antiquitatem, or concensus gentium

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

cletus wrote: »
    Not sure whether this is argumentum ad antiquitatem, or concensus gentium

I don't shave or cycle in Latin but I'll take your word for it.

• Advertisement

I'm blaming this thread for the loss of my beard this morning. Well really I started trimming with the clippers and said **** it and it took it off. No wet shave after, to hell with that nonsense.

Bad day to pick as my face was noticeably colder into a head wind on the school run. I miss touching it and walking passed mirrors is weird too. Must be 2 years since I was without a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Eh no
    I'm blaming this thread for the loss of my beard this morning. Well really I started trimming with the clippers and said **** it and it took it off. No wet shave after, to hell with that nonsense.

Bad day to pick as my face was noticeably colder into a head wind on the school run. I miss touching it and walking passed mirrors is weird too. Must be 2 years since I was without a beard.

What about your legs? Did you shave them too?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What about your legs? Did you shave them too?

Still hairy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Eh no
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Being serious I think the real reason UCI banned long socks is they were getting worried about compression gear. I think swimming and tennis have had similar problems recently
    It wasn't to do with compression, or even triathletes who love knee length socks (when they bother to wear them). Socks more aero than legs - same reason as the trend towards longer sleeves on aero "short sleeve" jerseys.

Eh no
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    It wasn't to do with compression, or even triathletes who love knee length socks (when they bother to wear them). Socks more aero than legs - same reason as the trend towards longer sleeves on aero "short sleeve" jerseys.

I knew there was a technical reason. They had to ban little plastic wings and aero strips on the jerseys round the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 CorkGunJonny

Eh no
    Yes. Because of 2 reasons IMO:
    1. It just looks better. Especially if you've a good sock game and a nice clean pair of cycling shoes. Over the years, I've come to realise that image is of paramount importance for us roadies :)
    2. If it looks better, it will make you feel better. Like owning a nice kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The leg shaving thing deserves a poll, with your voting preference visible so as that we can identify the freaks.

By freaks I obviously mean men that shave their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Eh no
    Gavlor wrote: »
    The leg shaving thing deserves a poll, with your voting preference visible so as that we can identify the freaks.

By freaks I obviously mean men that DON'T shave their legs.

I agree.

Eh no
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    I knew there was a technical reason. They had to ban little plastic wings and aero strips on the jerseys round the same time
    This time there is actually a reason. Same as in TT's they all where long sleeves regardless of the weather/ temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

cletus wrote: »
    The massage thing baffles me too. I have particularly hairy legs, and have had leg massages in the past. Once the massage therapist is using enough oil, it's not an issue.
    Lots of runners and race walkers get massage too, and I'm not sure shaving your legs is a thing there ... or if it is, maybe they just don't talk about it as much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭easygoing39

This time there is actually a reason. Same as in TT's they all where long sleeves regardless of the weather/ temp.

Would this mean that winter tights would make you more aero than shorts and long socks??

Eh no
    Would this mean that winter tights would make you more aero than shorts and long socks??
    Potentially, but it's not any/ every material that is faster than skin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Potentially, but it's not any/ every material that is faster than skin.
    I'm afraid that you're not far off suggesting that we lube ourselves in oil up before a spin to get an extra km/h.
    Actually now that I write that...

Eh no
    I'm afraid that you're not far off suggesting that we lube ourselves in oil up before a spin to get an extra km/h.
    Aero gainz are aero gainz...

Eh no

What5 to I is wrrrongh with trehat.

Sortryu boutr mu typing mytr fingrrres full ofd oiuyl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Eh no
    Thanks lads - got in contact with a local club so hopefully going out on the first group spin next week. Think I will turn up freshly shaven in immaculate gear and make everyone apprehensive about how fast I look.....before the truth is revealed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks lads - got in contact with a local club so hopefully going out on the first group spin next week. Think I will turn up freshly shaven in immaculate gear and make everyone apprehensive about how fast I look.....before the truth is revealed :pac:

Then they will tell you all about your username :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eh no
    Mod Note: Poll added

There is only one correct answer :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eh no

This may be the most important work we've ever done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭casion3

I don't shave.
    Am open to blade one on them. Anyone do that?

I don't shave my face anymore I can't see my self starting to do my legs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

casion3 wrote: »
    I don't shave.
    Am open to blade one on them. Anyone do that?

I don't shave my face anymore I can't see my self starting to do my legs

I've done that a few summers and it's a perfectly decent approximation of the real thing IMO. Dead easy. Though the Mrs wasn't a fan of the bristliness. The best way of all is a salon wax. Lasts the longest and the hair grows back softer.
    But, as had been said, unless you're on Eurosport, it's all arguably too much frickin hassle tbh.

Advertisement