Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo V BJ Saunders - Texas - DAZN - May 8th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

Fight was a big success for Dazn in America and UK.
    App was number 1 in app charts in both countries all day Saturday, and supposedly added 400,000 new subscribers in the US over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Butson wrote: »
    Fight was a big success for Dazn in America and UK.
    App was number 1 in app charts in both countries all day Saturday, and supposedly added 400,000 new subscribers in the US over the weekend.

Given its price I bet a lot of people will just stay sub'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Saunders did better than expected but there was an inevitability around what Canelo did really. His comments about easy money after really showed his mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I see the Saunders camp are now saying that Saunders protested the fight being stopped by others, well I for one didn't see too much protestation from Saunders at the time and thought I saw him shaking his head a lot when he sat down in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I see the Saunders camp are now saying that Saunders protested the fight being stopped by others, well I for one didn't see too much protestation from Saunders at the time and thought I saw him shaking his head a lot when he sat down in the corner.

Of course he/they will say that..

I watched the fight again..

Billy was done. Tired, jaded, out of ideas and being broken down..

He had enough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »
    Of course he/they will say that..

I watched the fight again..

Billy was done. Tired, jaded, out of ideas and being broken down..

He had enough..

I just watched the fight once but did he not have his best rounds in 5 & 6? I thought he did well up until that big punch then he needed to survive the round. Canelo was on top I’m not saying otherwise but was it not more one significant strike that did the harm?

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I just watched the fight once but did he not have his best rounds in 5 & 6? I thought he did well up until that big punch then he needed to survive the round. Canelo was on top I’m not saying otherwise but was it not more one significant strike that did the harm?

I guess there are a number ways to assess the fight and the boxers’ performances..

The fight kind reminded me of Frankie Gavin v Kell Brook

Frankie doing well boxing and moving and surviving, but always looking under the pressure, and completely unable to put any dent on Brook

Saunders was boxing, moving, holding, spoiling and doing his best to both be competitive and to survive

But as I said, his punches would be like gentle raindrops hitting Canelo..

Saunders used up a lot of energy in those 8 rds. He did a lot of work...

But it is 12 rds top class boxing against a elite Canelo..Canelo was landing the meaningful and stronger shots, as well as walking through Saunders’ shots with ease

No certainty what shot did the damage, but there is a clear and clean and impactful uppercut that Canelo lands rd 8 that likely did the damage, or mostly did. You can YouTube it and they show it in slo-mo

You could see near end rd 8 the distress in Saunders. Tired, jaded, hurt and with an opponent now clearly taking offensive control

Billy knew the game was up sitting down after round 8..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I guess there are a number ways to assess the fight and the boxers’ performances..

The fight kind reminded me of Frankie Gavin v Kell Brook

Frankie doing well boxing and moving and surviving, but always looking under the pressure, and completely unable to put any dent on Brook

Saunders was boxing, moving, holding, spoiling and doing his best to both be competitive and to survive

But as I said, his punches would be like gentle raindrops hitting Canelo..

Saunders used up a lot of energy in those 8 rds. He did a lot of work...

But it is 12 rds top class boxing against a elite Canelo..Canelo was landing the meaningful and stronger shots, as well as walking through Saunders’ shots with ease

No certainty what shot did the damage, but there is a clear and clean and impactful uppercut that Canelo lands rd 8 that likely did the damage, or mostly did. You can YouTube it and they show it in slo-mo

You could see near end rd 8 the distress in Saunders. Tired, jaded, hurt and with an opponent now clearly taking offensive control

Billy knew the game was up sitting down after round 8..

Ffs it was the upper cut that broke half his face in 4 or 5 places that ended the fight not Billy knowing the game was up or being tired. His best work was in the mid part of the fight , if his orbital bone wasn't broken he would have come out for the 9th the same way he came out for the 8th.

The narrative you are trying to create is in your head.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Ffs it was the upper cut that broke half his face in 4 or 5 places that ended the fight not Billy knowing the game was up or being tired. His best work was in the mid part of the fight , if his orbital bone wasn't broken he would have come out for the 9th the same way he came out for the 8th.

The narrative you are trying to create is in your head.

Why are you so irritated because people may think that he had enough?

You’re taking it a bit too personally..

What is so bad/demeaning about a boxer having enough and not continuing?

He’s not superman. Just a human..heaps examples of fighters not continuing on during fights..

It happens..relax. We all know he suffered an injury to his face. Tired, jaded and hurt I said..

Is Billy related to you or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

You are 100% correct.

There is only one person that will contradict you..... and he lives under a bridge.

• Advertisement

Seems to be confusion here...

I replied to this post above. I don’t disagree with anything above.

And never replied disagreeing..

Billy had some good middle rounds. I simply outlined the fight from start to finish..

Canelo was getting on top, and rd 8 was very impacting for him, and hurting for Saunders.

Very likely the real eye damage occurred this round.. Saunders looked spent at the end of round 8. He was hurt and looked done..

Then the fight was finished..

Not much more to it.

megadodge wrote: »
    You are 100% correct.

There is only one person that will contradict you..... and he lives under a bridge.

I think so too and as much as I enjoy the insights from WalsheB you can’t be “just like I said” for one fight prediction that came true to a certain extent and then reach for the fence again when you’ve got your prediction all wrong (Fury/Wilder).

Canelo won convincingly of course but he wasn’t having an easy night. It’s not as though he threw a Hail Mary that worked out he did set up that big shot and executed it brilliantly but it did determine the fight. Saunders had just had 3 good rounds after starting within himself. He wasn’t broken down mentally and physically, an elite boxer’s big shot came off.

Anyhow I’m not going to gang up on WB - analysis brilliant imo, predictions (which are very difficult in sport) just another one of us mere mortals!

I think so too and as much as I enjoy the insights from WalsheB you can’t be “just like I said” for one fight prediction that came true to a certain extent and then reach for the fence again when you’ve got your prediction all wrong (Fury/Wilder).

Canelo won convincingly of course but he wasn’t having an easy night. It’s not as though he threw a Hail Mary that worked out he did set up that big shot and executed it brilliantly but it did determine the fight. Saunders had just had 3 good rounds after starting within himself. He wasn’t broken down mentally and physically, an elite boxer’s big shot came off.

Anyhow I’m not going to gang up on WB - analysis brilliant imo, predictions (which are very difficult in sport) just another one of us mere mortals!

megadodge, for whatever reason seems to be very hostile towards me..

I can’t recall me and him ever having cross words. He is a longtime poster, but lately he seems to be going out of his way to target my posts, thank posts that challenge me etc..putting up threads and singling me out..

I haven’t at all bitten, because I find it a little awkward and odd..

It’s not like he is a casual blow-in. Long time poster that I have sparred with here, but a lot of it clean and healthy..

I’d prefer a PM if someone had an actual issue with me personally..

But for the life of me I cannot recall anything I would have done for any poster on this forum to go out of their way to single me out negatively..

I can’t recall me and him ever having cross words. He is a longtime poster, but lately he seems to be going out of his way to target my posts, thank posts that challenge me etc..putting up threads and singling me out..

It’s not like he is a casual blow-in. Long time poster that I have sparred with here, but a lot of it clean and healthy..

But for the life of me I cannot recall anything I would have done for any poster on this forum to go out of their way to single me out negatively..

I can disagree with nonsense without having a personal agenda surely?

Also stop making stuff up , what thread did I start that singled you out ever? Any issue with my posts please report them.

Why are you so irritated because people may think that he had enough?

You’re taking it a bit too personally..

What is so bad/demeaning about a boxer having enough and not continuing?

He’s not superman. Just a human..heaps examples of fighters not continuing on during fights..

It happens..relax. We all know he suffered an injury to his face. Tired, jaded and hurt I said..

Is Billy related to you or something?

I'm not irritated I just think it's utter horse manure.

Why are you so irritated and paranoid that I disagree are you related to Canelo?

It comes across as if you take it personally, with the FFs talk. And misquoting me, leaving out parts what I said. Tired, jaded, distressed and hurt...yet you just see tired...

Billy quit. You disagree.

Let’s move on.

We’ll await Aug 14....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 janehill

Best clinic so far Albany Dental Pros

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Lougho

The main question is:
    Does Billy Joe Saunders now qualify for the same disability payment that the poor lady he ridiculed on YouTube cams gets.

Daniel will surely be able to sort a doctor to sign him off sick.

Also stop making stuff up , what thread did I start that singled you out ever? Any issue with my posts please report them.

Eh, you need to read my post again..

It was nothing at all to do with you..

Eh, you need to read my post again..

It was nothing at all to do with you..

Sorry my mistake I apologise .

• Advertisement

Sorry my mistake I apologise .

Okey doke..

Anyway, let’s me and you focus on the 10 percent time we do agree!!!😅

Haha Cyrus you do aggression well.

Walshb I reckoned you got a bit of heckling from a few angles and I threw a bit your way too but tongue in cheek. When you can’t read tone it does come across worse.

When megadodge reads these posts I’m sure he’ll have been unaware that you felt it was personal. You lads are all great contributors imo and more interested in analysing the action and calling it how you all see it that getting into any spat. If we disagree then of course we will all rub it in a bit for a bit of craic but it’s nearly all positive here

Keep at it lads

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I recall Saunders getting an awful smack in the gut but not sure if that was the upper cut now in hindsight

Billy made circa 1 million pounds per round I hear...

Hmm, nice money....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Canelo?

Was he too young and Mayweather in his prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Welcome to the modern day internet "discussion". If someone disagrees with you they take it personal.

I disagree here with you as think Saunders would have continued had he not had his face smashed in. However agree that his shots were having little effect on Canelo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Has anything medically official come out about the extent of Saunder's injury?
    He'll look bad if it comes out that he wasn't as badly injured as thought but that's pure speculation from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Welcome to the modern day internet "discussion". If someone disagrees with you they take it personal.

I disagree here with you as think Saunders would have continued had he not had his face smashed in. However agree that his shots were having little effect on Canelo.

Saunders made the decision to not answer the bell, I don't actually blame him as he was going to get stopped in the next round for sure you'd imagine. It was the smart thing to do, a good time to quit and save yourself more punishment. Won't get any criticism from me for that part of it, why I have an issue with Mr "Go out on your shield" is simply that. He is happy to put others down and make big claims about his heart and how he has no quit in him and he made that rod for his own back ultimately.

I remember (and he isn't the only example) Inoue v Donaire, Inoue had broken orbital bone (in round 2!), nose etc but he wouldn't quit. He wouldn't not get to his feet when that bell rang and he went out there and won the fight. If BJS had been in a position where he felt he could win that fight he would have pushed through the adversity and continued imo, he knew he was done - he didn't throw a punch after Canelo landed that upper, he made it to the bell. He assessed that he was ****ed and he called it a day with a few million in the back pocket. No problem.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Nothing sadder than the vacant look in the eyes of some boxing greats that got back up with horrific injuries and fought on

Bjs is smarter than people think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nothing sadder than the vacant look in the eyes of some boxing greats that got back up with horrific injuries and fought on

Bjs is smarter than people think

You could even go as far as saying he got some sense knocked into him.

Advertisement