Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canelo V BJ Saunders - Texas - DAZN - May 8th

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Saunders made the decision to not answer the bell, I don't actually blame him as he was going to get stopped in the next round for sure you'd imagine. It was the smart thing to do, a good time to quit and save yourself more punishment. Won't get any criticism from me for that part of it, why I have an issue with Mr "Go out on your shield" is simply that. He is happy to put others down and make big claims about his heart and how he has no quit in him and he made that rod for his own back ultimately.

I remember (and he isn't the only example) Inoue v Donaire, Inoue had broken orbital bone (in round 2!), nose etc but he wouldn't quit. He wouldn't not get to his feet when that bell rang and he went out there and won the fight. If BJS had been in a position where he felt he could win that fight he would have pushed through the adversity and continued imo, he knew he was done - he didn't throw a punch after Canelo landed that upper, he made it to the bell. He assessed that he was ****ed and he called it a day with a few million in the back pocket. No problem.

I agree with your post in general.

Just for the record though, Inoue (who is my favourite active fighter) wasn't anyways as badly injured as initially thought. He had no surgery as there was no need and he was back sparring less than three months later.

He had double vision from the second round onward, but double vision is better than no vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I remember he said he was seeing two of Donaire for the rest of the fight, but I'm not sure what the point is? He had a broken/fractured orbital bone and a busted nose. He said the pain was incredible every time he got punched in the area, felt like he was being stabbed with a needle or something like that, I'd have to look it up.

He didn't need to have surgery afterwards okay, but that is not something that he would have known during the fight, all he knew, same as Saunders for example was that his eye was in serious trouble and he was in a lot of pain. My point of comparison is the difference in attitude to that adversity.

Norton broke Ali's jaw, Ali kept going. He's not the only one but probably the best known, morales fought from round 4 v a big puncher in maidana with one eye etc

Inoue is the one that popped into my head with almost an identical injury, the point being that he if bjs felt he could win, or had any more to offer he'd have answered the bell. He didn't, that's fine like.

PS I agree, Inoue is incredible. Probably my favourite to watch right now also.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

I remember he said he was seeing two of Donaire for the rest of the fight, but I'm not sure what the point is? He had a broken/fractured orbital bone and a busted nose. He said the pain was incredible every time he got punched in the area, felt like he was being stabbed with a needle or something like that, I'd have to look it up.

He didn't need to have surgery afterwards okay, but that is not something that he would have known during the fight, all he knew, same as Saunders for example was that his eye was in serious trouble and he was in a lot of pain. My point of comparison is the difference in attitude to that adversity.

Norton broke Ali's jaw, Ali kept going. He's not the only one but probably the best known, morales fought from round 4 v a big puncher in maidana with one eye etc

Inoue is the one that popped into my head with almost an identical injury, the point being that he if bjs felt he could win, or had any more to offer he'd have answered the bell. He didn't, that's fine like.

PS I agree, Inoue is incredible. Probably my favourite to watch right now also.

Again, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your overall sentiment, it's just that I'm pretty sure Saunders' injury was worse than Inoue's.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

In Saunders case, would it be fair to say its a career ending injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Speedline wrote: »
    In Saunders case, would it be fair to say its a career ending injury?

Depends. He could recover completely or there could be issues around the eye and potential danger to it etc, we’ll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I just watched the fight once but did he not have his best rounds in 5 & 6? I thought he did well up until that big punch then he needed to survive the round. Canelo was on top I’m not saying otherwise but was it not more one significant strike that did the harm?

He did have some success, but Canelo didn't look at all troubled really. I think Canelo was confident his power would be the different maker and he was biding his time. It seems to me that Canelo lays traps for his opponent. He'll let them have some success, while he figures out ways to set up the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

He did have some success, but Canelo didn't look at all troubled really. I think Canelo was confident his power would be the different maker and he was biding his time. It seems to me that Canelo lays traps for his opponent. He'll let them have some success, while he figures out ways to set up the finish.

And most importantly for them to tire.

Especially when facing someone you know doesn't have the stamina to stay elusive yet effective offensively for 12rds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is spot on

BJS was a bit like Khan in there.....doing bits n bobs and looking decent and looking ok n all that; but wasn't winning, and didn't look like winning...

Nothing of any real substance happening.....

Just revisiting this due to Eubank querying Saunders' actual injury. Has it been officially verified that he suffered orbital damage/break, and did he require surgery?

Eubank said that at the time of the stoppage the chap had a black eye which he did, albeit a closing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what do you class as official verification?

“I went into surgery,” he explained, “I had a broken eye socket, it was broken in three places.

“I’ve got some plates, I’m like Terminator now, they’ve got me full of metal…

“I boxed a minute and 20 seconds with a broken eye socket, a broken cheekbone in three places.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/893045/billy-joe-saunders-graphically-canelo-alvarez-eye/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Eubank should have buried saunders years ago, instead he let his dad put on a side show and shite advice and cost him dearly, saunders didn't know where he was after that fight

An actual verification from someone other than Saunders......

Hmm, Eubank doesn't seem at all convinced, which had me thinking....

Regardless of what Saunders asserts, however, Eubank Jr. won’t allow him to pull the wool over his eyes.

“If that was the truth, there would’ve been doctors’ reports, pictures. The guy was driving around in his car a week later with sunglasses on. We’re not sheep. No, he quit.”

what normally comes out after a fight verifying a fighters injury? im genuinely curious.

I'm with Eubank here.....

Billy the quitter....

i think eubank is full of it and is trying to engineer himself a payday, i wonder who is right.

Yes, could be alright.

I wouldn't trust either of them, and more so Saunders.

Advertisement