Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Toyota Avensis repair (wheel bearing & brake disk)

Options
  • 03-05-2021 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been hearing a strange vibration from our 141 Toyota Avensis for the past month or so. Most recently, I've hear a high pitched screech when travelling on the motorway when changing lanes.
    I brought it to a mechanic to get their thoughts on what's wrong. One of the mechanics brought it for a test drive and said that the front right wheel bearing needs to be changed along with the rear left brake disk (and possibly calipers). He couldn't confirm if the calipers need changing yet and will call me tomorrow with pricing for what needs to be done.

I'd like to get a rough idea of what the costs involved in doing this work would be and how long it would take?

I've checked a well know website to get a rough idea of what parts could cost but not sure how reliable that is e.g.
    • Wheel bearing kit for front axel: €83
    • Rear axel brake disks: start from €43
    • Brake caliper for rear axel left: start from €69

Would would be a reasonable amount to do all that - including labor and VAT (assuming the caliper also needs changing as that's not confirmed yet)?

Any advice on the best way to approach getting the above work done?

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Hi,

I've been hearing a strange vibration from our 141 Toyota Avensis for the past month or so. Most recently, I've hear a high pitched screech when travelling on the motorway when changing lanes.
    I brought it to a mechanic to get their thoughts on what's wrong. One of the mechanics brought it for a test drive and said that the front right wheel bearing needs to be changed along with the rear left brake disk (and possibly calipers). He couldn't confirm if the calipers need changing yet and will call me tomorrow with pricing for what needs to be done.

I'd like to get a rough idea of what the costs involved in doing this work would be and how long it would take?

I've checked a well know website to get a rough idea of what parts could cost but not sure how reliable that is e.g.
    • Wheel bearing kit for front axel: €83
    • Rear axel brake disks: start from €43
    • Brake caliper for rear axel left: start from €69

Would would be a reasonable amount to do all that - including labor and VAT (assuming the caliper also needs changing as that's not confirmed yet)?

Any advice on the best way to approach getting the above work done?

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

It could have been the caliper was sticking, which caused the wheel bearing the overheat. If you are changing the disc on one side, you have to do the other side too, so budget for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You wont get a rear caliper overheating a front bearing though.

I'd say supplied and fitted for everything about €550 at a good independent, front wheel bearing, rear pads and discs and one caliper.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

Thanks for the response.

The mechanic said that it may be that the caliper was sticking, which caused the brake disk to overheat.

In general, if the pads, disks and calipers are being changed on one side, is it recommended to change them on the other?

You wont get a rear caliper overheating a front bearing though.

I'd say supplied and fitted for everything about €550 at a good independent, front wheel bearing, rear pads and discs and one caliper.

Thanks for that ballpark. You've mentioned rear pads and disks.... so that's both rear disks and pads changed then? Is that the standard approach? Would you recommend changing both rear brake calipers (or would their be any need)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Changing one caliper is usually ok.

You would always do discs in pairs though and you would never do discs without doing pads.

• Advertisement

Changing one caliper is usually ok.

You would always do discs in pairs though and you would never do discs without doing pads.

Thanks so much for all the info. It did help to at least prepare me for what to expect in relation to the costs and how long it took.

You were exactly right in that it cost €550 for front wheel bearing, pair of rear pads and discs and one caliper.

Thanks again!

Advertisement