Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card help

Options
  • 03-05-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My Asus Radeon R9 290X Direct II OC 4GB decided it had enough this evening and a few components burnt out. I'm wondering will I get the same again or maybe a bit better? I thought it was a fantastic card and didn't complain about anything I threw at it - only issue was it ran HOT! I built my PC a few years ago and have been out of the parts loop since! Motherboard is MSI Z97 GAMING 7 with Intel Core i5 4670K Processor. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I'm sorry for your loss! The extra bad news is that it couldn't have come at a worse time so it's probably a matter or taking what you can get in your budget. The graphics card market is an absolute disaster for the last 6 months or more and it's likely to stay that way for months or into next year.

It really comes down to budget, what you play, how patient you might be and how much time you want to spend trying to hunt for something half reasonably priced Vs an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭friedcircuits

minitrue wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your loss! The extra bad news is that it couldn't have come at a worse time so it's probably a matter or taking what you can get in your budget. The graphics card market is an absolute disaster for the last 6 months or more and it's likely to stay that way for months or into next year.

It really comes down to budget, what you play, how patient you might be and how much time you want to spend trying to hunt for something half reasonably priced Vs an arm and a leg.

lol thanks! Whats going on with the market?! I'd be quite happy with the same card again if I could find one! Budget wise if a new card was a bit better or the same spec I'd get it!

If I got the schematic for this card I'd fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Things don't look good for you I'm afraid. The price of all cards has skyrocketed, but cards in the performance class of the R9 290x have gone absolutely insane.

I sold my R9 390 for €350 a few weeks ago, which is on a par with your 290X and I'd say It'd go for more now. Meanwhile newer cards like the RX 580 and GTX 1060 are listed at €700-800 and commanding buying prices of €500+

Your least worst option is to join a partalert discord and learn how to buy a card in 30 seconds during one of the weekly card drops on AMD.com

The 6700 XT is currently the cheapest card available during these drops. Other than that I wish you luck fixing your old card. If you have the know how, then go for it. You have literally nothing to lose by trying

I was just doing some searching and no - things don't look good at all!! I'll keep looking and see can I get a 290X again maybe! Patience might be well needed as minitrue said. Fixing it for now may be best option. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Simi wrote: »
    I sold my R9 390 for €350 a few weeks ago

wow just had a look on adverts and they are going for €350 - €400 :eek:

not sure whether to sell my old one or not as I like to keep my old cards in case of failure and just to have in the collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I was just doing some searching and no - things don't look good at all!! I'll keep looking and see can I get a 290X again maybe! Patience might be well needed as minitrue said. Fixing it for now may be best option. Thanks.

Your best bet is to wait on a reasonable priced 2nd hand card. The R9 290 was a beastly card back in the day.

Probably performs similar to something like a GTX1650 (while using triple the power obviously), which should be €130 new, instead is more like €350.

It might be time to consider buying a full new pre-build? For about €1k you can get a PC with much better graphics and processing power, with other perks like DDR4, better drive support, etc.

But if you want to just get by, there are some options out there. Just the other day I bought a GTX770 for €90 on Adverts. Obviously it's not brilliant and not as fast as an R9 290, but it will tide me over until I can get one of the newer cards at normal RRP.

I know priced are very inflated right now but paying €300 for an R9 390 is utter insanity. Super hot running card, guzzles power, and is pretty old.

You would literally be better off spending the same money on an over-priced new GTX1650.

Or else buy a 2nd hand GTX1060 6GB or RX580 8GB, they seem to be selling for around €250 mostly. Still faster than the R9 and uses much less power.

Hi all,

Thanks for the input and comments. I rang around 4 counties - not a card in sight (PC shops etc) and ridiculous prices online if even legit so after 3 days and I was done but I said one more check on Ebay and there it was my exact card with water cooling. Well I snapped that up after glancing at the ad not even reading everything!

Deep cleaned the whole PC today new thermal grease on the CPU and all. Removed water cooling from the "new"" 290X and put on my fan cooling from old card, new grease etc - and here I am delighted! Running probably better than it did. Cost €200 some of that shipping all in all good deal.

Homelander - appreciate the comment. My specs are -

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
    24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz
    MSI Z97 GAMING 7
    4096MB AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    931GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB ATA Device (SATA (SSD))
    223GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 ATA Device (SATA (SSD))
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10PURX-64D85Y0 ATA Device (SATA )
    931GB Seagate ST31000333AS ATA Device (SATA )
    931GB Western Digital WD 10EAVS External USB Device (USB (SATA))

I've had no problem with this until my card give up! As I mentioned earlier I've been out of the building loop for a few years but I'm researching now stuff for new build and VAT I won't need to pay! :)

Advertisement