Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus in SPAAAAAAACE Reveal Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Woo Hoo in the top 10, I'm glad you liked Kate Bush

Took me a long time to get into Kate Bush. Hounds of Love is an outstanding album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,287 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was tempted to submit the Firefly theme tune

Rikand/Reyn Owuehand/Wizball

This is a long song. Very long. It feels so long to listen to. I like the start, it reminded me of 7 Sea’s of Rye by Queen for a bit. Then that went away because it was taking ages for anything to happen. This sounds like I hated it but I’m more saying this to show that despite how long the music takes to do its thing, it's worth sticking around for the whole thing. It builds and builds and builds and rewards patience and swings into action without ever leaving the basic melody behind that its built around. Great track, worth letting you in after the close Rik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Woo Hoo in the top 10, I'm glad you liked Kate Bush

Not a Kate Bush fan (well it's a little stronger than not a fan ;)) but I quite enjoyed that! :)

I was tempted to submit the Firefly theme tune

I don't think that would have done well. Love the show but the theme is not its strongest feature.

• Advertisement

ari101 wrote: »
    Not a Kate Bush fan (well it's a little stronger than not a fan ;)) but I quite enjoyed that! :)

We'll get some good taste in to you yet :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

fixXxer wrote: »

Sephiroth_Dude/Cyber Zone/CASIOPEA

Sorry Seph, I didn’t like this at all. Its jarring. The different arrangements don’t mesh like they are playing the same song and it has a bit of an aimless feel that instrumentals can suffer from when. It reminded me of the menu music you’d hear when playing Mario Kart, but broken. Nintendo trying to do Jazz music but after being hit on the head by a blue shell. I appreciate being sent something I’ve never heard before but this just wasn’t for me.

sad-crying-cat.gif

:pac:

Barna77/Major Tom (Coming Home)/Peter Schilling

Just to get this out of the way at the start but Peter Schilling looks like Gary Neville if he was into sex trafficking. I prefer this version to the original, I have to say. The smooth 80’s vibe is very pleasing on the ears. I normally prefer my covers more deconstructed, but this is a very good, respectful take on a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

This is a long song. Very long. It feels so long to listen to. I like the start, it reminded me of 7 Sea’s of Rye by Queen for a bit. Then that went away because it was taking ages for anything to happen. This sounds like I hated it but I’m more saying this to show that despite how long the music takes to do its thing, it's worth sticking around for the whole thing. It builds and builds and builds and rewards patience and swings into action without ever leaving the basic melody behind that its built around. Great track, worth letting you in after the close Rik.

This is lush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

We'll get some good taste in to you yet :pac:

Good luck ;)

Actually I've added a couple of songs to playlists from Walrus submissions I've spotted on here, can't vouch for them being 'good taste' choices but my ears were interested :D

• Advertisement

TOP THREE

MUSTANG SHELLY
    ELECTRIC NITWIT
    ZAPH

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

TOP THREE

MUSTANG SHELLY
    ELECTRIC NITWIT
    ZAPH
    DuI83IcW0AAFnuG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I was about to go with out of space, luckily I saved myself one place.....ha ha Necro!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thats bloody amazing !

Mustang Shelly/Nightwish/Shoemaker

I do enjoy Nightwish, I think I’ve entered them in a couple of Walruses (walrusii? Walerususus?!) myself. They have a framework they use for their songs, but they do it really well. The sentiment behind the song is perfect and the ending is outstanding. It's a wonderfully powerful bombastic song that had me going back to Nightwish to listen to some old favourites.

Zaph

D8EZBjX.gif

&

Electric Nitwit

giphy.gif

are our final two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Only getting on now

Very happy with 6th place, will definitely have a listen-through of all the nominations later tonight

Zaph & Electric Nitwit are our final two!
    3Q9g.gif

Electric Nitwit/Public Service Broadcast/Gagarin

This is a monster bop of a tune. It’s so catchy, I love it. Reminds me of listening to The GO! Team for the first time. High speed, catchy, you can’t help but move when you listen. It’s been on rotation since I finished my rankings. At some point ill check out the rest of PSB but until then, this has been a great find. And yes EN, the dancing astronauts in the video are brilliant :D

WHICH MEANS

Zaph/The Eagles/Journey of the Sorcerer

This is it. Sorry, after I heard this it was going to be almost impossible for anything else to top it. Maybe you thought that Zaph, when you read the intro to the sign up thread. I absolutely adore The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy. I’ve read the books many times, watched the BBC show, listened to the radio show, even enjoyed the updated movie so right from the start this was ahead of the crowd. The intro is perfection. It builds and it builds and I know whats coming but I can’t wait to get there yet at the same time I’m loving the journey. The banjo picks are sublime and when it crashes into that main hook, its so good. So so good. I could listen to it 1000 times and never get bored. It may not make sense to you as a space song unless you’re familiar with THHGTTG, but it is. Congrats Zaph! Wait, is that short for Zaphod?!

So close! But still, whoo-hoo! :D
    Glad you liked it

sraOK2.gif

PSB's second album is The Race For Space, based on actual recordings from the USSR and USA's missions into space and onto the moon, it's an excellent album. This isn't the best song on it but it's the most fun, and the video is awesome :D

Congrats Zaphy! And damn you :p

Cheers fixXxer, that's tomorrow's playlist sorted

• Advertisement

So that's Walrus in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE all wrapped up. Huge thank you to everyone who entered. I appreciate the time taken to send an entry in knowing that something you love may go down like a lead balloon. You guys are the real stars.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the game Fixxxer, and congratulations on the win Zaph

I'm sure it will be out of this world when I listen to it later

Has anyone made that joke already? Probably :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Second time Journey Of The Sorcerer has won a Walrus Category. It easily nabbed 1st in my As Seen On TV category as well.

Great reveal fixXxer.

Congrats Zaph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Thanks FixXxer!
    I used to love listening to the Hitchhiker's Guide on the radio too. (I was thinking of entering "Tea in Space" from it!). That's a great version of the theme choon. Good choice Zaph!
    And I love PSB too.

This is a monster bop of a tune. It’s so catchy, I love it. Reminds me of listening to The GO! Team for the first time. High speed, catchy, you can’t help but move when you listen. It’s been on rotation since I finished my rankings. At some point ill check out the rest of PSB but until then, this has been a great find. And yes EN, the dancing astronauts in the video are brilliant :D

WHICH MEANS

This is it. Sorry, after I heard this it was going to be almost impossible for anything else to top it. Maybe you thought that Zaph, when you read the intro to the sign up thread. I absolutely adore The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy. I’ve read the books many times, watched the BBC show, listened to the radio show, even enjoyed the updated movie so right from the start this was ahead of the crowd. The intro is perfection. It builds and it builds and I know whats coming but I can’t wait to get there yet at the same time I’m loving the journey. The banjo picks are sublime and when it crashes into that main hook, its so good. So so good. I could listen to it 1000 times and never get bored. It may not make sense to you as a space song unless you’re familiar with THHGTTG, but it is. Congrats Zaph! Wait, is that short for Zaphod?!

Class song!

Congrat zaph, thanks fixxer for running it.

aaronjennings/Murray Gold/The Shepards Boy

I’ve never watched Dr. Who. I’ve never seen the appeal from the snippets that I’ve caught over the years, so I have no attachment to it or its music. Having said that, this was a very enjoyable instrumental piece. It has a lovely flow to it, moving along with a purpose. It kinda made me think of a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western in places with the beat. The different layers move together and build to a rousing finish. A very enjoyable listen.

I'm glad you liked it, I did try to pick a piece of music that is good in its own right, without the need for an emotional connection between it and a particular scene

These two were also on my shortlist for potential nominees:

Can't believe no one entered a David Bowie song :eek:

Space Oddity, Life on Mars, Starman, Ziggy Stardust, Blackstar... I'm sure there's more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,287 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Holy crap, I was not expecting that! I'm a huge Hitch Hikers fan too (my avatar slightly gives that away :)), so when I saw the quote in the OP of the sign-up thread there really was only one choice for me. And yes, Zaph is short for Zaphod. Zaphod was taken when I signed up and people often referred to me as Zaph on another site I used before Boards where I was Zaphod, so it seemed logical.

And as an added Hitch Hikers bonus, here's the song we had as the first dance at our wedding :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just listening to this now, absolutely funktastic. Unlucky not to get the win there EN.

Advertisement