Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a classic

Options
  • 03-05-2021 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

I bought a BSA A10 650cc in bits years ago and only got around to restoring in the past few years. Whats the drill about getting it registered and a number for it ? Anyone know how much that costs ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

You will need to make an appointment with the NCT who act as agent for the Revenue.

The two things they look at, in my experience(which is at from over 10 years ago and might be out of date), is the frame number and the odometer( presumably to check it has more than 6000km on it).

If you have no receipt and no idea when it was imported then you will need some document from a recognised club dating the frame to more than 30yrs old, don't expect the person checking the person to know that they stopped making the A10 in early sixties. i gather that different offices are more accommodating than others so it might be worth asking about specific counties/NCT offices. I think that strictly speaking you need something from the manufacturer , some offices accept letter from a 'recognised' club others insist on a dating certificate from the single make club.
    If you had a receipt for the frame which gave the date then it would simplify thinks greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

You may be able to establish some info here

britishmotormuseum.co.uk

Or here

http://dscalm.warwick.ac.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=DServeadv.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=0&dsqSearch=%28%28Level%3D%27collection%27%29AND%28Reference_Code%3D%27bsa%27%29%29

The British motor museum have a facility to purchase records on-line for some UK vehicle manufactures, I don't know about motorbikes

Warwick seem to hold the archives for BSA but if the information can be accessed or not I don't know.

As already mentioned a club may also be able to help. You are looking to establish when the bike was imported in to Ireland and its manufacturing history. Obviously the factory info will only tell you where that particular bike was exported or if it remained in the UK. It will also establish the year of manufacture

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

If not previously registered in State, you'll need to produce evidence from where and when it entered the country.

e.g. You must provide documentary proof that the vehicle was imported before 1 January 2021. An example of proof would be a sales invoice or a ferry ticket which identifies the specific vehicle.

Lack of proof and they'll be looking for VAT. Once past that hurdle, then it's the VRT registration process.

NCTS: https://www.ncts.ie/1209/
    I have a Vintage Motorcycle due for VRT inspection, what should I expect as part of the inspection ?

Can NCTS accept dating certs for vehicles pre 1981?

Original registration certificate must be provided in all cases. A suitable dating certificate may be entertained as a last resort, but only in cases where the customer has not provided acceptable evidence explaining the absence of the original vehicle registration record e.g. a written statement from the registration authority of the previous country clarifying the position.

Do I need to provide registration documents for all motorcycles from 1981 on?

Yes. In particular, cases where a bike has been re-discovered/re-built in a shed, it is likely to have already been registered in the state. The customer should pursue these records with DTTAS, in the first place, and take the necessary steps to have the registration re-activated. These are not Revenue cases. If the vehicle has come from another country, the customer must deal with the relative authority in the country of origin, to begin with. In all such cases, an original registration document is the primary requirement.

Will the inspector request to see lights, brakes & odometer on all vintage vehicles?

Yes, there is no reason not to expect to observe the normal ancillary devices associated with road going vehicles, even in the case of vehicles which are 30 years or older. Having due regard to Road Traffic Regulations, a speedometer, for example, is a ‘normal’ component in a motorcycle or car. In cases of doubt, the customer should refer to Vehicle Standards for their written approval that the vehicle is suitable for registration/suitable for road use. Legislation has made provision for the registration of vehicles that are suitably designed and constructed for road use. Vehicles are required to meet the requirements of the Road Traffic Regulations and minimum standards of construction apply. In cases of doubt, customer should refer to the relative agency

VRT category M (motorcycles) for motorcycles over 30 years old is NIL. Because the VRT is zero, they cannot sting you for late registration surcharges. Motor tax is €26 pa

I'm kind of in the same boat - two imported October 2019, but both rebuilds-in-progress. Tried getting an answer from Revenue October 2020 about the evidence of import date, but was given useless generic info about how to (then) register a vehicle, rather than answer my original question as to what they would accept as proof of date of import.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Thanks all. This bike has been in Ireland at least 20 years and probably closer to 30. It was dumped under a leaky tarp in a back garden and was pretty rotten. I have no documents for the machine though so a dating cert from the owners club in the UK will have to do them.

Whilst you have no documents, would it not be worth first checking with Shannon if there is a record against the frame no.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think that works that well for Moto's funnily enough, worth a check but much of what Shannon holds is the work of fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

macplaxton wrote: »
    Whilst you have no documents, would it not be worth first checking with Shannon if there is a record against the frame no.?

No point, it came in from London in the mid 80's afaik. It was stored by a friend of the owner, who decided he had enough of it in his shed after a few years and he pushed it outside and threw a tarp over it. When the lad who owned seen it and the state of it, he decided just to sell it.

Well you're down to the VAT conundrum then: Satisfying the Revenue it was brought in pre-Brexit.

I've got receipts and V5Cs, just don't have ferry tickets for their vehicle registrations as they were trailered and only have tickets for the tow vehicle's registration.

The last time I entered the correct purchase price of a vehicle in the form - £100 - the NCTS told me the system wouldn't accept a figure lower than "500".

Top tip for Revenue: Don't ask for the purchase price if your computer system isn't designed to record the information accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnno1970

I'd be interested to know how this turned out for you as I'm in a similar situation.

Advertisement