Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose bush question about wooden supporters

• 03-05-2021 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Have planted a new rose bush in a pot and it came with a wooden support splint to keep it straight and in place.when is the best time to remove the wooden supporter.Considering it’s been windy the last few days I’ve kept it place and am curious how many months or even years should I wait.Should I wait for the bush to reach a certain size to remove it and would keeping it in place for too long stint it’s growth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

If it came with a wooden trellis then its probably a climbing/rambling rose so it will need to grow up something. It will out grow the one it came with very quickly. There probably isn't any need to remove it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Personally I'd leave the support as long as possible. Whatever you do, keep an eye on the band or strap or clip that secures the rose to the stake - don't let this get tight. Once the rose stem is close to being
    "choked" on that band, take out the stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

If it came with a wooden trellis then its probably a climbing/rambling rose so it will need to grow up something. It will out grow the one it came with very quickly

It’s just a single wooden cylindrical splint not a trellis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It’s just a single wooden cylindrical splint not a trellis

Does it still have a label with the variety of rose on it? It would tell you what type of rose it is. It's possible it's just a simple support to stop the rose from falling over or shaking itself loose from the soil. I'd leave it there until the plant is well settled in.

Advertisement