Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options
19495969798100»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Grim as in basic interior and not nice to look at?

Neither of which would bother me tbh. I've gone back to college and not working full time. I've just got 1 year left so just need something reliable to tide me over until I start working properly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Looks are fine, interior and radio etc are very basic, it should easily see you out of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

12 year old Leaf for a shade over €2k. Bit of body damage but at least that means people will avoid parking next to you in Tesco!

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/37414087

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

If you make it that far ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭User1998

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭flatty

Ended up not taking the Auris. Went for this avensis instead and collected it today for 1k. Saw a Carisma that might interest some. Only 91k miles on it and looks in good nick, asking 1200.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-carisma-new-nct/37250503

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-2005/37153755

Not that it’s overly important in this price range, but it seems that Avensis has been crashed & repaired badly, and is being sold by ‘Jimmy car’, a part time trader who sells cars from the side of the road, which doesn’t inspire much confidence. But as long as the engine and gearbox are working and you have a long NCT thats all that really matters

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭jsmrf

Yeah that front end looks fairly lopsided alright.

Edit: As for the Carisma, "has some lacquer peel and light scratches" is putting it mildly but at least the price reflects the damages/ wear.

• Advertisement

Fair points and I was wary of that when going to view it as it was my 1st instinct from looking at the photos. Gave it a good look under the bonnet too and didn't spot anything obvious. Guy I brought with me said if it was crashed, it was a tip at best and headlight could have needed changing for the NCT for whatever reason. I think it looks worse in the photos than it does in reality.

Jimmy himself was fine to deal with. Met him at his house, he has a few cars in the yard alright. Older chap who does a bit of wheeling dealing was the vibe I got off him. Gave us plenty of time to look over the car and left us to it.

I took it for a spin myself and all seemed well while driving, going through the gears, braking etc. No weird sounds or rattles to cause concern.

But yeah, I have an NCT until next May now. Will hopefully put it through another one and it'll see me out for the next 18 months until I'm back working and can get something proper.

Thats good then, I saw it had a long NCT. Should hopefully give you hassle free motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭flatty

Was there ever a more inappropriately named car. Great for this thread though

Anyone for a 5 cylinder? €300 a cylinder.

2003 e270cdi €1500. Test to October only though.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/37409058

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just a quick question for anyone, but especially anyone who has bought one of these bangernomics. Quite a lot of them are back in the 2000-year bracket (or even older?) So how does that work out for the insurance, given that many insurance companies now have an age limit on cars, and will not insure them beyond say 10 years? I've seen 20+year old cars driving on the continent, and not a bother on them, but here in Ireland, there seems to be "Special Conditions" allowed to Insurers?

As long as your already insured on a car its find to change your insurance over to an older car. The problem arises when you try take out a new policy on an older car.

That being said my 20 year old sister had no problem getting quotes for a 99 Yaris with no previous driving experience

Anecdotally I’ve heard it’s much easier now than it was a few years ago. You’ll just have to ring instead of getting it online.
    Since the insurance companies challenged a few spurious claims successfully, the ambulance chasers aren’t as quick to go to the High Court.

Did it take a lot of shopping around the different insurers before your sister managed to get a quote? Or by any chance did she have named driver experience for a year or two before getting insured in her own name? Fair play to her anyway, at least she's now on the climb to the 5 year max no claim bonus price list. (PS BTW, was her first premium ridiculously expensive? Not looking for personal details etc.)

To add to this, it might also be worth going through a broker. There's a guy by the name of Fitzgerald in Kanturk who has come very highly recommended to me and gets policies that are at least 2/3rds if not half the quote they are given over the phone. I'm currently availing of the 6 months Aviva deal myself but once I get on an N plate I'll be going straight to that guy and go for the cheapest decent-ish 1l Yaris.

Yes, that was something that should have been done many years ago…but it would have interfered too much with the easy pickings of all the hangers-on of the insurance "Industry". Recently a woman I know had a slight tip, plastic bumper to plastic bumper, as she was in the wrong, she admitted liability, and told the other woman to get it fixed. She was also worried about was the other woman injured in any way, but the other woman laughed it off, and said that no, she was fine, no problem except the slight damage to the bumper. Then a few months later her insurance renewal arrived, but it had jumped from the hundreds to the thousands. She called the insurance to check if there had been a mistake, and they assured her that, no, there was no mistake, a claim had been lodged against her, a claim that amounted to several thousand, and hence the increase in her premium. So, she contacted the other woman and told her about the increase in her insurance, which effectively put her off the road as she could not afford it. But the other woman just said that she had placed the matter into the hands of her solicitor and followed their advice. So, it escalated from a minor tip into putting a woman off the road and losing her job because the job depended on her having a car, and to put it in context, this woman is not wealthy by any means, she's just about getting by, earning a living. There's something rotten to the core about the whole system.

• Advertisement

No, not at all. I was so surprised at how easy it was to get online quotes. She had no driving experience whatsoever and got quotes from An Post or Supervalu I believe, who are essentially just Axa insurance or Allianz? I can’t remember exactly how much, definitely over €1.5k

Yeah that's disgusting alright but this is also why you never admit to anything without consulting a solicitor first and why I am also going to get a dash cam. Even if it's me that in the wrong the exchange will be recorded also, meaning surprise injuries several days to weeks later will be less phesable.

Although I have to admit it's surprising that the insurance company never made any contact with her. I'm pretty certain you're supposed to be notified of any claims made against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Thousands of cases like this. Same thing happened my other half. She brushed off the bumper

of a parked car that a "lady" was sitting in, she didn't even realise my other half had touched the

car. My other half knocked on the window of the car to let the other lady know. 6 years later the claim

is still going on. Apparently the other lady has shoulder and neck injuries!!! You would have more damage

done to you by someone bumping into on the foot path. I told the insurance company under no circumstances

are they to pay out, but we have no say in the matter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Lads leave the insurance talk to the insurance forum. Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

It has something going on at the front. Bonnet gaps fairly different from each side. But its a 19yro car and you bought it for a grand. The mileage is biggish but not nuts, and its got an NCT for nearly another year... I honestly don't think you will get a better car than that for a bag of sand. Happy bangernomics motoring my friend and happy days!!

Yeah, all fair points. Got €350 for my Corolla today. Same fella I bought the Avensis off took it and said he'd have a go at fixing it or else use it for parts and scrap it. Everything is perfect apart from the corrosion underneath so happy to have it gone for 350, I got quoted 300 from a scrap company so extra 50 quid and over ⅓ of my money back off the guy so can't complain.

I did a bit of maintenance on the Avensis today and will bring it to my mechanic for the once over in a week or 2 so I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-1-4-petrol/37240622

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-2010-nct-02-25/37394341

This thread has been tidied up nicely.

Wouldn’t pull the skin off a bowl of custard but comfy motoring nonetheless.
    2008 C200CDI €2,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/37240201

Advertisement