Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

19596979899101»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I actually had a look at that before posting but the 790 tax and likely expensive parts (?) was putting me off it tbh. I'll mention it to the missus all the same though

Edit: any idea what would those be like reliability-wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rn

Would you chance electric? Especially if the drives are short, electric seems to be by far the cheapest way to get around if you can charge at home.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-only-2950-fully-electric-heated-se/34045324

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Turns out my yoke now falls into this category. I've been offered 1200-1500 by the dealers on trade in. Now, for that money there is zero point trading it in because it doesn't make any inroads on the price of even the cheapest replacement. Can it really be so worthless?

2008 BMW 520d

84k miles/133k new money

NCT & Tax on it til next summer

I can't find anything online with the similar mileage so no obvious comparisons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

On a 16 year old car your probably talking €500 or so more than a high mileage example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Im assuming if it's 2008, it's the new lower road tax and not the standard 710 for a 2 litre diesel?

Has the timing chain been done? Kinda half interested in one at the moment. Looking at going for something similar but just can't decide what to go for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭wandererz

What's the condition?

Any pictures?

I may be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Car looks OK but usual sh!te ad from a dealer. No real pic of the state of the battery. From the distant pic it looks like about 6 or 7 bars left. Not sure what mileage you'd get out of that.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Was considering something like that actually. Say it's a 24kw model with 7 bars left (I'm assuming that's 24 * 0.7 = 16.8kw?), what would be the approximate range on that for summer driving taking it handy enough? Is it possible to get the batteries refurbished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rn

Its possible. Have seen it done on YouTube, especially for Prius batteries. But I don't know enough about them and I guess you're mixing old cells with new cells so I've my doubts it's a viable long term fix.

It's interesting to see the first of the electrics making into bangernomics territory - personally I doubted they would when they arrived on scene. Some of the leafs have multiples of milage than that red one I posted. Which is also promising to see.

I think Nissan have a scheme where you can trade in the battery for a full new one. But you'd have to be fully bought into the car and electric lifestyle for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭GavPJ

I'd be keeping it until it was completely scrap. Unless it is at that stage already

or breaking your heart with problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Dealers don't want old cars on their lots, especially main dealers soo they want to discourage you from considering the trade in option and instead buy straight (ideally straight with finance provided by them) to maximise their profits.

You should get €3000 for that car privately as long as its straight and in fair condition

(of course, you will probably be dealing with the baseball cap brigade and/or the cultured minorities)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭romperstomper

3k is nearly as useless as 1500 in a world where a 2022 Rav4 (missus wants) is 40k or 2022 520d is 45k+. Better to keep as a second car for the house. The point I was making is that everything I learned about cars is now defunct. "Old" low mileage clean cars keep their value turns out to be nonsense. Some of the dealers didn't even check if it had tax/nct. They literally don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭gussieg

Ive got two actual bangers lucky to get 500 for both, but yet, loath to let them go too. Was thinking electric banger but if anything does go wrong, will have no clue where to turn with them to get it going again.

Advertisement