Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Most of those magazines based their reviews on how good of a spread the journos got treated to at the launch.

Bull.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    In 2000 the Megane was out 4 years and the Mk4 Golf 2 years.
    The Golf interior was a major step forward for that class and was of a higher quality than many more expensive cars.

I know that you have a think about VW but any argument that a Megane had a better interior is absurd.

I'd say what is more like it is vw still came with windy window, head rests as extras in rear, air con rare to never seen.... Other makes such as the Renault were giving much more gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I'd say what is more like it is vw still came with windy window, head rests as extras in rear, air con rare to never seen.... Other makes such as the Renault were giving much more gear.

I remember Golf's with MW radios when nearly everything else had a cassette player

Ms

In 2000 the Megane was out 4 years and the Mk4 Golf 2 years.
    The Golf interior was a major step forward for that class and was of a higher quality than many more expensive cars.

I know that you have a thing about VW but any argument that a Megane had a better interior is absurd.

Yes and the Megane had just received a mid life revamp to make it even better.
    The dash in that Golf was terrible. It was dark and all hard plastic. I did not see what was so good about it. The Megane and even the MK 1 Octavia all had better and much nicer dashs with soft touch plastics. That is one of the reasons VW have curtailed Skodas rapid rise because Skoda were making better cars than VW itself.

Typical miserable VW.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

AMKC wrote: »
    Bull.

It is not bull. A load of English & journalism graduates driving a different brand new car every week. Wouldn't know a lambda sensor from a lamb shank.

• Advertisement
    Ms

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It is not bull. A load of English & journalism graduates driving a different brand new car every week. Wouldn't know a lambda sensor from a lamb shank.

Lol. Shakes head. What an idiot.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bull. Shows how little you really know about the MK 1 Megane. They were a great car for there time, well built, classy and better than every other car in its class untill the Ford Focus came out.

Mk1 Megane was a rebodied R19 which itself was based on the R9 from 1982, Scenic was the breakthrough of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The dash in that Golf was terrible. It was dark and all hard plastic. I did not see what was so good about it. The Megane and even the MK 1 Octavia all had better and much nicer dashs with soft touch plastics. That is one of the reasons VW have curtailed Skodas rapid rise because Skoda were making better cars than VW itself.

Typical miserable VW.

The whole point of the mk4 dash was that it had an abundance of soft touch plastics, tight panel gaps, and a feeling of solidity.
    It was a game changer.

I think you’re thinking of the Mk3.

The Megane I was heavily based on the 19, and it showed in terms of the layout.
    I traded in and drove a lot of them, and they had a weird driving position with a gearknob that wobbled all over the place when you accelerated/decelerated. A Golf was in a different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Typical miserable VW.

Pretty sure Mk4 Golf had soft touch plastics in dash, my 02 Bora defo had, it was a baseline and had 4 * el windows, lights in both sun visors, proper cup holders, back headrests. No cd player alright.

I do know baseline Golf/Bora had windy windows till 01/02.

You got there before me Colm.

We bought a 99 Liberte Megane brand new, it was just before the facelift. Got it at a good price, it was very lowly specced. No c/l, windy windows and 1 airbag. Bora/Golf had 4 airbags.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure Mk4 Golf had soft touch plastics in dash, my 02 Bora defo had, it was a baseline and had 4 * el windows, lights in both sun visors, proper cup holders, back headrests. No cd player alright.

I do know baseline Golf/Bora had windy windows till 01/02.

You got there before me Colm.

I can’t not post this!
    https://partridge.cloud/scene/?id=RZvonaFnj76y

08 Lancer
    Cheap tax
    Good colour
    Classy (kinder egg toy plastics) interior :D

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-lancer-fresh-nct/28222432

These are a great yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I remember Golf's with MW radios when nearly everything else had a cassette player

I remember this thread used to have links to donedeal ads.

2001 Merc I drove had a cassette player and 2000 Renault had CD Player. Who cares.

It is bangeromics, not classsnobist thread. It used to be at least.

Who cares what it was like in 2000. If it drives, turns and brakes and has nct it is good enough to be here.

Not a dig at you Random Viewer BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

08 Lancer
    Cheap tax
    Good colour

These are a great yoke.

They are a nice yoke I was looking a these and its still up on another ad. Part time dealer maybe?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-mitsubishi-lancer-new-nct-and-low-mileage/27330147

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tnegun wrote: »
    They are a nice yoke I was looking a these and its still up on another ad. Part time dealer maybe?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-mitsubishi-lancer-new-nct-and-low-mileage/27330147
    Purchased by a Dealer on: 27/02/2021

So trying to shift it privately as they don't want to give any warranty with it. So either they're trying to just get rid of it, or there's something wrong with it and they don't want to give a warranty with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭User1998

the_syco wrote: »
    Purchased by a Dealer on: 27/02/2021

So trying to shift it privately as they don't want to give any warranty with it. So either they're trying to just get rid of it, or there's something wrong with it and they don't want to give a warranty with it.

Its a 13 year old car for 2 grand. You wouldn’t be getting a warranty either way.

Just because it was purchased by a dealer doesn’t mean its dodgy. Its probably just a trade in that the dealer doesn’t want to put on their forecourt

And the lad selling it is a trader so the dealer probably just sold it to your man as a trade sale

Ms

Mk1 Megane was a rebodied R19 which itself was based on the R9 from 1982, Scenic was the breakthrough of the time
    Actually you are. Yes the chassis was a revamped Renault 19 chassis but it was refined and made bigger. All the rest of the car was brand new.
    We bought a 99 Liberte Megane brand new, it was just before the facelift. Got it at a good price, it was very lowly specced. No c/l, windy windows and 1 airbag. Bora/Golf had 4 airbags.

Well why did you but such a basic spec. Did you not read the bemrochure before hand and the different spec levels. The RT was well equipped for its time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Actually you are. Yes the chassis was a revamped Renault 19 chassis but it was refined and made bigger. All the rest of the car was brand new.

Well why did you but such a basic spec. Did you not read the bemrochure before hand and the different spec levels. The RT was well equipped for its time.

This is my final word on it as we're hijacking this thread, couldn't afford the RT, is that OK. No comparison between that Megane and a baseline Mk4 Golf. The latter all the way. Oh and while your at it you can admit your wrong about dash hard plastics in Mk 4 Golf, its not a sign of weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

08 Lancer
    Cheap tax
    Good colour

These are a great yoke.

She's no Mégane

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

08 Lancer
    Cheap tax
    Good colour

These are a great yoke.

These are grand have a 1.8 diesel one myself. Can be quite noisy due to thin doors but bar front shocks going had no issue with mine had it three years. Know a friend with 1.6 petrol, the petrol models don't have cruise control but are a smoother drive and a comfy car, grand yoke overall, a touch screen radio (€150) makes all the difference, can't go wrong for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

These are grand have a 1.8 diesel one myself. Can be quite noisy due to thin doors but bar front shocks going had no issue with mine had it three years. Know a friend with 1.6 petrol, the petrol models don't have cruise control but are a smoother drive and a comfy car, grand yoke overall, a touch screen radio (€150) makes all the difference, can't go wrong for the money.

are the diesel models reliable and economical?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-beetle-1-4-high-75-bhp-3-door/28235821

ZmMwOWM0YTM1OGQzYjYyYTcxODZkNjliNjZhZTI4NTiY66HucYZP8pmS4-7PZkNjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODE2NDcwMTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

07 2 owner Beetle 1.4 with tax til August and test til October, €2000

Potential bargain here I think

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-beetle-1-4-high-75-bhp-3-door/28235821

ZmMwOWM0YTM1OGQzYjYyYTcxODZkNjliNjZhZTI4NTiY66HucYZP8pmS4-7PZkNjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODE2NDcwMTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

07 2 owner Beetle 1.4 with tax til August and test til October, €2000

Potential bargain here I think

I think this is gorgeous!

I think it, the mini and the 500 nailed it when it came to rebooting an old design

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

everlast75 wrote: »

I think it, the mini and the 500 nailed it when it came to rebooting an old design

They really did..the new mini is a vile thing though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They really did..the new mini is a vile thing though.

As is the SUV version of the 500.

If you see the BMW Mini parked next to a BL Mini - it is like a parody - particularly the Countryman four door.

Ms

everlast75 wrote: »

I disagree on the Mini. It might look like one but its size was just ridicules. VW and Fiat done better jobs with there two rebooted old designs than BMW did with the mini.
    As is the SUV version of the 500.
    I disagree. I think the 500X looked great.

This is my final word on it as we're hijacking this thread, couldn't afford the RT, is that OK. No comparison between that Megane and a baseline Mk4 Golf. The latter all the way. Oh and while your at it you can admit your wrong about dash hard plastics in Mk 4 Golf, its not a sign of weakness.

Nope I disagree. Maybe the top version had but the basic 1.9 litre diesel version certainly did not and yes I know because my brother had one even do he could have got a MK 5 cheaper.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

They are far from classy. They were cheap and well equipped but had zero desirability back in the day.
    They have a few plus points but were way behind the likes of a Golf or Focus back then.

Bought a new focus in 2000. Super car, loved it. Had a sunroof and all. Only thing it lacked was asb brakes. Traded it after 4 years and 60,000 miles and bought a cool new vw golf. Turned out to be the most boring, bland, slow car I ever had. So slow and basic. I regretted selling the focus for ages afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Bought a new focus in 2000. Super car, loved it. Had a sunroof and all. Only thing it lacked was asb brakes. Traded it after 4 years and 60,000 miles and bought a cool new vw golf. Turned out to be the most boring, bland, slow car I ever had. So slow and basic. I regretted selling the focus for ages afterwards.

Slower than a focus??? I didn't think such a car existed:D:D

Ms

What did you get after the boring Golf? Was it the MK5 Golf? I liked that Golf but compared to the Focus the Golf was still very bland and boring.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Slower than a focus??? I didn't think such a car existed:D:D

Did you forget about the 1.4 litre Golf. That's a lots of car for a little engine to Hall around the place. TheGolfa back then were not exactly light especially the MK 4. The MK 5 might have been better but still slow with 1.4 litre engine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement