Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

1 owner 9-5 2.0t with 25k miles and 13 service stamps, NCT til February 2022 and tax til September of this year, €2000

This is absolutely lovely.[/quote]

If it had an auto box I'd be all over it.
    Had an auto 2005 9-5 and regret selling it .

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Is super low mileage necessarily a good thing on older cars? I've always been wary stuff like this, as it may have been sitting for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is super low mileage necessarily a good thing on older cars? I've always been wary stuff like this, as it may have been sitting for some time.

No harm being cautious.

A lot depends on where it has been sitting.

Might be an old person who kept it in a garage and only went out a couple of times a week.

Bring a mechanic to check it over. Have a good read of the service history and ask all the questions that you and the mechanic come up with.

Could be the chance of a lifetime for 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Renault Twingo with NCT until next March asking €1100:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe99fed4b97559bfe1a7fa47eaeb0756ee8.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/2846790

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ianm1990

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-toyota-yaris/28294929

This is my run around , good car , been between myself and the wife the past 7 years , got new discs and pads for last nct. Good tyres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-9-5-2004-full-history-only-25-000-miles/28271765

NGM1YmNhMmJhOGYzYzJiZmQyOThhYmVmZjE4ZTVjMGW5CgA7cb0OsKifyCuSxSOiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODIwOTI3MTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner 9-5 2.0t with 25k miles and 13 service stamps, NCT til February 2022 and tax til September of this year, €2000

This is absolutely lovely.

Why would anyone get a car serviced 13 times in the first 25,000 miles? Just strikes me as odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Why would anyone get a car serviced 13 times in the first 25,000 miles? Just strikes me as odd.

Servicing is as much about time as it is about mileage. Just over a year between services, stamps would confirm?

Strikes me as another thumbs up on being a good buy, proves a very responsible owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

My guess is that the reason for the super low mileage is not that it has been off the road for years, but an elderly owner just used it very sparingly and sent it in for a service every time the NCT reminder came in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That is pretty close to once a year. Given its low mileage and single ownership, it is likely that the services were spread out - going a month or so late each year. The car averaged about 2,000 miles each year - which is very low by any standards - so to have regular services is a very good sign. The date stamps will give a better indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-just-passed-nct-test/28256875

Nice colour, nice interior. Petrol. Swedish.

€1,650

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

donvito99 wrote: »

€1,650

That wood trim and leather colour does look very “Ikea” alright!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That wood trim and leather colour does look very “Ikea” alright!

I suppose you could call the spare in the boot a 'flat pack'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭CoBo55

€1,650

What would the tax be being a petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What would the tax be being a petrol?

€636

DeepBlue wrote: »
    €636

Sore enough, would put many buyers off if they think of looking before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mankteln

€1,650

"Stamped service history" stops in 2012. Suppose they just gave up on once it was over 5 years old.
    That Saab that was up the other day was such an anomaly for Ireland, serviced regularly regardless of mileage, so rare here. Was some find, saw it didn't last too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Sore enough, would put many buyers off if they think of looking before buying.

Being put off by 636 motor tax is laughable , given many will be happy driving balls of crap in comparison and dont consider depreciation a cost...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Talking about depreciation in a bangernomics thread is just as laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭barry181091

How are prices doing these days? Looks like we have reversed at least two years in terms of age of car and prices :eek:

Murph85 wrote: »
    Being put off by 636 motor tax is laughable , given many will be happy driving balls of crap in comparison and dont consider depreciation a cost...

No it isn't, 636 is a lot to pay in tax especially when someone sees the 08 plate and assumes it's cheap tax. A lot of people don't understand how the co2 based system actually works and just see it as cheap and dear tax 07 versus 08.

• Advertisement

No it isn't, 636 is a lot to pay in tax especially when someone sees the 08 plate and assumes it's cheap tax. A lot of people don't understand how the co2 based system actually works and just see it as cheap and dear tax 07 versus 08.

Interesting point.

A Mazda MX5 is a good example of the vagaries of the tax.

A Mazda Mx5 1.8 l for 2007 pays a tax of €560 on engine capacity but a 2008 1.8l pays €750 on CO2, but a 2009 1.8 l pays €570 on CO2. They reduced the CO2 value in the 2009 version by improving the engine bringing the rate below the threshold.

Prior to 2009 the 1.8 l engine CO2 was 174, but from 2009 on it is 167. Those few CO2 mg on the emissions basis makes the road tax jump from €570 to €750.

On the other hand, go for the MX5 ND 1.5l which has a CO2 figure of 139 mg which gives a road tax of €240. A much better choice altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

bazz26 wrote: »
    Talking about depreciation in a bangernomics thread is just as laughable.

I think in fairness to Murph85 he mentioned depreciation in the context of new or nearly new cars that are expensive to buy and cheap to tax but the arse falls out of them in value and people don't really consider that hidden cost.

I could be corrected, but if that was his point I think its fair to mention depreciation in the bangernomics thread.

Interesting point.

A Mazda MX5 is a good example of the vagaries of the tax.

A Mazda Mx5 1.8 l for 2007 pays a tax of €560 on engine capacity but a 2008 1.8l pays €750 on CO2, but a 2009 1.8 l pays €570 on CO2. They reduced the CO2 value in the 2009 version by improving the engine bringing the rate below the threshold.

Prior to 2009 the 1.8 l engine CO2 was 174, but from 2009 on it is 167. Those few CO2 mg on the emissions basis makes the road tax jump from €570 to €750.

On the other hand, go for the MX5 ND 1.5l which has a CO2 figure of 139 mg which gives a road tax of €240. A much better choice altogether.

That's exactly it, not made any easier if the seller takes the expired tax disc out of the window. There was a Audi A6 multichronic on a dealers lot locally that was in the 570 bracket they kept dropping the price until it eventually shifted but it took a long time. People just don't like paying tax on their car. I've seen people spending big money changing perfectly good cars just to get the cheap tax. 13 years down the road it isn't happening as often thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

That's exactly it, not made any easier if the seller takes the expired tax disc out of the window. There was a Audi A6 multichronic on a dealers lot locally that was in the 570 bracket they kept dropping the price until it eventually shifted but it took a long time. People just don't like paying tax on their car. I've seen people spending big money changing perfectly good cars just to get the cheap tax. 13 years down the road it isn't happening as often thankfully.

People love it, pay €400/month to avoid paying €200/qtr on tax, some people just really hate tax, like hate it to the point that they'll spend multiples of it per year just to avoid it.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    People love it, pay €400/month to avoid paying €200/qtr on tax, some people just really hate tax, like hate it to the point that they'll spend multiples of it per year just to avoid it.

Also, go for a big diesel SUV to get the low tax, and do 2,000 km per year going to the shops and driving the kids the 2 km to their school and blow the DPF in the engine because it needs motorway driving to get it to stay clean.

Italian tune ups have their place, but diesels on the school run do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Also, go for a big diesel SUV to get the low tax, and do 2,000 km per year going to the shops and driving the kids the 2 km to their school and blow the DPF in the engine because it needs motorway driving to get it to stay clean.

Italian tune ups have their place, but diesels on the school run do not.

I guess practicality/making sense isn't top of everyones list, diff'rnt strokes and all that, myself - I'm just mean when it comes to buying cars, I love cars, obsessed like - but still can't see the logic of dropping a years salary on a car, feck that like.

And that's why I'm in here looking at bangers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/09-renault-laguna-1-5-diesel-nct-02-22-6-speed/28302531

noticed it changed hands on 25th May, and no mileage.
    But that engine is reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Nice looking Alfa Romeo asking €1650. Long NCT as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Cheensbo wrote: »

The difference most were laying on their " cheap tax" car, when you deduct that tax, from their cc tax, is a pittance...

Most were paying low to mid motor tax on cc anyway... cheapest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

positron wrote: »
    Nice looking Alfa Romeo asking €1650. Long NCT as well.

Tidy looking motor that for 14 year old. Paint work looks very nice.

Advertisement