Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Should the Opel Astra be mentioned or have they gone so bad as to be unmentionable

I'm going to pretend I seen nothing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Gents, a family member is looking for something along the lines of a Fluence, S40 etc for about €2-2500 in Dublin.

What else is worth looking at with that sort of budget, I’m kind of at a loss. Pretty much every Golf or Focus seems to be dirt. Petrol or diesel

Mitsubishi Lancer are definitely worth considering that era of Mitsubishi cars were ultra reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

A very smart looking 2l petrol Mazda 323f.

NCT 02/22
    Taxed until end of November
    112k miles at last NCT
    Asking €850

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-mazda-323f-sport-nct-2-22-tax-12-21-clean-car/28388309?campaign=14

555564.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hard to believe Mazda replaced the previous generation pretty 323f fastback with that boxy design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Nardi wheel and all in the mazda, always thought they're a cracking looking car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hard to believe Mazda replaced the previous generation pretty 323f fastback with that boxy design.

2nd only to the redesign charade. Once a sporty looking competitor for the ep3 (i think) civic into a "what the hell?" design

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That Mazda is ridiculously tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

under powered, high tax, poor mpg.

One for the time capsule

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep. They’re only 130bhp.
    I like 323s though. We had a few - They’re the thinking mans Almera :D

Used values of them were so bad. I got a tidy 1.5 GLX 1 owner 5 year old 99 one for €2700 in the trade back in the day. Got a 01 1.6 Executive 2 years later for even less.

Both were very reliable and took lots of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

They've always been a cool yoke, can't say performance was ever top tier though.

Pop up headlights in the early 90s - doesn't even matter if they were slow or not
    Small v6 with brilliant sounds in the mid 90s
    Good styling but a sheep in wolfs clothing in the late 90s - think there was a 170 odd bhp familia sport (sport 20?) version but I don't ever recall seeing any on these shores. Only on gran turismo :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

The 323 cost MORE to make, than the MX5 of the same era...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Thoughts on a Kia ceed diesel 07-10 reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

recently bought a kia soul, 09 , same engine i believe,two variants, 115 and 126 bhp, 163k km , decent runaround for sure,decent power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Cheensbo wrote: »
    They've always been a cool yoke, can't say performance was ever top tier though.

Pop up headlights in the early 90s - doesn't even matter if they were slow or not
    Small v6 with brilliant sounds in the mid 90s
    Good styling but a sheep in wolfs clothing in the late 90s - think there was a 170 odd bhp familia sport (sport 20?) version but I don't ever recall seeing any on these shores. Only on gran turismo :pac:

Any of you guys ever owned Mazda xedos ? Had xedos 6, years ago, 2.0l V6 97. Kind of accidental purchase on eBay, bidding for fun of it and guess what, one bid and won the auction:D Loved it, great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Very good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-toyota-corolla-1-4-d4d-5dr-hatch-tax-10-21-nct/28429985

YzAwNmU1ZTA3NWExYWU5ZDI5MDJhNDYxMzc1NWE1MjZthRvgHKPvMSi1IlgXLnGUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODM4MzE1Njh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1.4 D4D Corolla hatch with NCT til January 2022 and tax til October, 88k miles, €1750

Is it worth this money?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-toyota-corolla-1-4-d4d-5dr-hatch-tax-10-21-nct/28429985

YzAwNmU1ZTA3NWExYWU5ZDI5MDJhNDYxMzc1NWE1MjZthRvgHKPvMSi1IlgXLnGUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xODM4MzE1Njh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1.4 D4D Corolla hatch with NCT til January 2022 and tax til October, 88k miles, €1750

Is it worth this money?

Very old car for a dealer to be selling to be honest, but as it's a Toyota it will keep on trucking.....
    I'd say it will sell 1500 but I doubt it's worth that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Is it worth this money?

Just needs a set of OEM alloys really. Great car, will be worth most of that in 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

mayota wrote: »
    Just needs a set of OEM alloys really. Great car, will be worth most of that in 3 years time.

Agreed - even a set of OEM hubcaps can make a huge difference to the appearance of these cars.

Not that I ever liked that model Corolla, mind. The one after is a much better looking car.

As an aside - the D4Ds in these models - were they always BMW engines or when did Toyota stop making their own for the Corolla/Avensis etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

FGR wrote: »

As an aside - the D4Ds in these models - were they always BMW engines or when did Toyota stop making their own for the Corolla/Avensis etc?

2016 Toyota took on a bmw 1.6 and 2.0 engine. Euro 6 emission regs more or less forced their hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

My wife had one from new (2005). 10 years later and 350,000km it never let us down. The only expense apart from a service every 10-15,000 km was a battery. Brilliant car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

The saloon version was a horrible looking car, one of Toyota’s worst IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

Had the saloon and hatch corolla. Both 1.4 petrol. Both super reliable for me. The saloon was nicer on the road, quieter. The saloon was luna spec, and hatch was terra spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

FGR wrote: »
    Not that I ever liked that model Corolla, mind. The one after is a much better looking car.
    The saloon version was a horrible looking car, one of Toyota’s worst IMO.
    I'd say the hatchback model posted looked much better than the Auris that replaced it which looks somewhat gammy and too bubbly and bloated looking for my liking. That model Corolla hatchback looked particularly nice for an everyday family hatchback with the subtle bodykit and in the right colour...subtle and not too in your face. Other way around with the new model 07 Corolla saloon with that replacement looking much more grown up than the somewhat toyish looking prior model. All subjective of course and that's just my own humble opinion.

Having owned a 04 Corolla hatch and a 09 Auris, both 1.4 petrol, I can say I'd take the Corolla over the Auris any day. Felt a lot more solidly built with higher quality materials, particularly on the inside, more economical and nimble too.

The money seems on the strong side on that Corolla posted. No doubt you could run it on a shoe string budget but insurance would be inclined to worry me. Due to the age the number of providers who will quote you will be more limited so may mean considerably higher premiums for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Was Auris not same as Corolla, except one was hatchback and the other saloon?

The interior was same and no difference to the materials used?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

rn wrote: »
    Had the saloon and hatch corolla. Both 1.4 petrol. Both super reliable for me. The saloon was nicer on the road, quieter. The saloon was luna spec, and hatch was terra spec.

I've had the same and again found the saloon much comfier on the road. It took the bumps much better than the 3dr hatch I had.

That said all e12s are great cars for what they are. Parts are grand and cheap for them too. Very good bangernomics for tipping about in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

wonski wrote: »
    Was Auris not same as Corolla, except one was hatchback and the other saloon?

The interior was same and no difference to the materials used?
    They were pretty much the same if talking a 07 upwards model Corolla upwards versus 09 Auris but I was drawing a comparison between the 04 Corolla I had versus the 09 Auris I had in terms of finish, quality of materials used etc which would be different generation models and having owned both there certainly were very tangible differences. Other than that I was drawing comparisons between the looks of the hatchbacks versus saloons on the like for like models.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's hard to think of a more soulless car than the early 2000s Corolla posted above, they started to lose their way with the frog eye generation before it, especially the liftback...but the one posted above is what turned corollas into bland, , boring, soulless euroboxes with no redeeming qualities apart from reliability. Awful looking to boot. The only people I know who used drive them were farmers sons. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I thought I had a car for this thread but my mechanic bought it last night as is with only 3 months NCT and 2 front tyres needed.

09 Octavia estate bxe diesel with 425k km. Between my wife and I it has given us almost faultless service over 9 years and 300k km. Other than my own basic servicing every 15k km, two minor sensor issues it has been a really reliable and cheap to run.

Fitted two timing belts and changed original clutch at 400k odd and 4 shocks were only big spends, but again normal wearing parts.

€1700(6months tax left) and I was saved a burner phone and best price boss calls. Sorry to see her go but would have been in the way most of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Folks,

We may need a car next month if my wife's Almera fails the NCT. However, we need something cheap & cheerful to get us over a couple of years whilst my daughter is in university.

I see a Ford C-Max here

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-ford-c-max-0830131033/28326536

Generally, what are people's views on these? Anything to look for or should we avoid entirely?

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisement