Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Hope someone could give an advise - looking at the adds, cars up to 3k and really not sure what to go for...need something to be used as for daily where I don't have to worry about parking dings scratched etc.... So far the cheapest with lowest millage would be Laguna, Mazda 6, Insignia ...Would Mazda 6, 2.2 diesel be a good choice or petrol versions would be better? Always loved Lexus IS from 2006 but hard to get something decent under 3 k.

They're all pretty much awful choices engine wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

2 mates in work have mazda 6 2.2 diesel.

Both of them had problems, one requiring a new engine..

What are the odds,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Hope someone could give an advise - looking at the adds, cars up to 3k and really not sure what to go for...need something to be used as for daily where I don't have to worry about parking dings scratched etc.... So far the cheapest with lowest millage would be Laguna, Mazda 6, Insignia ...Would Mazda 6, 2.2 diesel be a good choice or petrol versions would be better? Always loved Lexus IS from 2006 but hard to get something decent under 3 k.

Laguna 1.5dci is relatively bullet proof bar window regulators going on them the 2.0 would be better alright but far rarer to find.
    Mazda insignia and lexus is200 avoid not great engines in any of those,look out for a fluence perhaps cheap motoring but that's about it interiors aren't great but they alot have survived and are used by taxi drivers alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I wish all cars had descriptions like that given on the Alfa GT.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Jaysus that is nice. Surprised it’s still up on DD tbh

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-vector-sport/28466344

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjYwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDB9fSwia2V5IjoicGhvdG9fMTg0MjY2NjMxIn0=?signature=bca949d0c2e7534ba51974318dd0057e06acc1057bc2692abf5e4b942bef34d3

Facelift 9-3 diesel estate with NCT til April 2022 for €1250

Presentable looking car for the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I didn't mention that's as I'm biased I'm driving a 1.9ttid one lovely car assuming the oil seal has been done or else it will write the engine off,

Well I sold the Alfa this evening. I'm actually shocked at the amount of interest in it. My phone and message centre was going mad all day. Guy picking it up tomorrow. Best part is that I got the asking price for it. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    Well I sold the Alfa this evening. I'm actually shocked at the amount of interest in it. My phone and message centre was going mad all day. Guy picking it up tomorrow. Best part is that I got the asking price for it. Happy days.

Well done
    Come back on here when your looking for another one in 4 or 5 years lol

Doublebusy wrote: »
    Well done
    Come back on here when your looking for another one in 4 or 5 years lol

If the GT goes anything like the GTV it'll be worth about 5 grand by then..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

crasy dash wrote: »
    Laguna 1.5dci is relatively bullet proof bar window regulators going on them the 2.0 would be better alright but far rarer to find.
    Mazda insignia and lexus is200 avoid not great engines in any of those,look out for a fluence perhaps cheap motoring but that's about it interiors aren't great but they alot have survived and are used by taxi drivers alot.

Any Laguna 1.5dci would be a mk3, were window regulators still an issue on the mk3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    If the GT goes anything like the GTV it'll be worth about 5 grand by then..

It isn't unfortunately.

Excuse the question lads - not a for sale link
    But the petrol saab turbo in bangernomics
    What are they like - the 1.8 higher bhp
    Is there many saloon cars that offer the same bang for buck in the 1.8t - 2.0t petrol bangernomics

A4 Avant with NCT until February
    1.9 tdi
    Timing Belt done (I'd be relying on the receipt and not the Tipp-ex on engine)
    Possible absence of worn climate control buttons.
    Looks alright.
    Up for 920

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/swap2006-audi-a4-1-9tdi-diesel-estete-nct-02-2022/28542960

These A4s always seem to have discoloured rear light clusters. Is that a thing with them?

557001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭CoBo55

1.9 tdi
    Timing Belt done (I'd be relying on the receipt and not the Tipp-ex on engine)
    Possible absence of worn climate control buttons.
    Looks alright.
    Up for 920

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/swap2006-audi-a4-1-9tdi-diesel-estete-nct-02-2022/28542960

These A4s always seem to have discoloured rear light clusters. Is that a thing with them?

557001.jpg

Jaysus he could clean the pampas grass out of the gutters any time he likes:rolleyes:

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Jaysus he could clean the pampas grass out of the gutters any time he likes:rolleyes:

Car in better nick than the gaff:D assuming its his house of course!

Car in better nick than the gaff:D assuming its his house of course!

That could one of a gazillion houses built across the country they all look exactly the same, don't they?

That could one of a gazillion houses built across the country they all look exactly the same, don't they?

The corolla and bmw he has for sale are in the garden - its his house alright

The corolla and bmw he has for sale are in the garden - its his house alright

What's the lowest you'll take for the A4? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well worth the price. Unless you break it, it'll still be worth a grand next year.

What's the lowest you'll take for the A4? :)

I can do 2 for the price of 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Excuse the question lads - not a for sale link
    But the petrol saab turbo in bangernomics
    What are they like - the 1.8 higher bhp
    Is there many saloon cars that offer the same bang for buck in the 1.8t - 2.0t petrol bangernomics

I've had a 1.8t 9-3 and a 2.0t 9-5
    More or less the same engine, both 2 litre turbos

Petrol saabs are getting very rare now in decent condition. Pre-facelift 9-3s had issues with poor quality buttons on the dash, made the interiors feel shabby, but the facelift 9-5s and 9-3s fixed this problem

They're very nice cars to drive and own, whats killing them is electronics going bad, if the ECU goes, you're going to struggle to find someone to supply fit and re-map an ECU

Also, they are prone to knock issues, so if there is any problem with timing, or direct ignition, they can cause damage to the block which would cost more than the car is worth to repair

On the plus side, they were usually really well looked after in early life. Saabs weren't fleet cars, they were bought by accountants who usually minded them really well. Because Saab went bust, those accountants often didn't upgrade to the latest model every few years, and kept them in the family for sentimental reasons.

If you can find a nice, lowish mileage, under 3 previous owners, you can find a real gem

Any older car will take some maintenance, but the right saab is excellent bangernomics
    Plus, it just feels good getting into them every day.They're a nice place to be

If you do buy one, mind it and you'll be able to sell it for at least the price you paid for it if not more.

Just 1 more thing, DO NOT BUY the '1.8' 9-3. the 1.8t 9-3 is a 2 litre turbo, the 1.8 (without the t) is a 1.8 normally aspirated and is slow and miserable, low spec, and the accountant who bought this spec saab probably didn't love it because all of his accountant friends would have looked down on him

Akrasia wrote: »
    I've had a 1.8t 9-3 and a 2.0t 9-5
    More or less the same engine, both 2 litre turbos

Petrol saabs are getting very rare now in decent condition. Pre-facelift 9-3s had issues with poor quality buttons on the dash, made the interiors feel shabby, but the facelift 9-5s and 9-3s fixed this problem

They're very nice cars to drive and own, whats killing them is electronics going bad, if the ECU goes, you're going to struggle to find someone to supply fit and re-map an ECU

Also, they are prone to knock issues, so if there is any problem with timing, or direct ignition, they can cause damage to the block which would cost more than the car is worth to repair

On the plus side, they were usually really well looked after in early life. Saabs weren't fleet cars, they were bought by accountants who usually minded them really well. Because Saab went bust, those accountants often didn't upgrade to the latest model every few years, and kept them in the family for sentimental reasons.

If you can find a nice, lowish mileage, under 3 previous owners, you can find a real gem

Any older car will take some maintenance, but the right saab is excellent bangernomics
    Plus, it just feels good getting into them every day.They're a nice place to be

If you do buy one, mind it and you'll be able to sell it for at least the price you paid for it if not more.

Just 1 more thing, DO NOT BUY the '1.8' 9-3. the 1.8t 9-3 is a 2 litre turbo, the 1.8 (without the t) is a 1.8 normally aspirated and is slow and miserable, low spec, and the accountant who bought this spec saab probably didn't love it because all of his accountant friends would have looked down on him

Cheers
    Thanks for the reply
    So ive to become an accountant is what your saying.
    I like the saab 9-3.. it wouldn't be a daily - i have a daily diesel but would like a petrol saloon turbo.
    Possibly as a project/hobby car

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mankteln

Love the look of Saabs and definitely seem to be the type of car that tend to be well looked after. One thing that put me off when I was looking though was that insurance seemed high in comparison, explanation I received was that as they're discontinued they load the policy to factor in increased repair costs/difficulty finding parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

crasy dash wrote: »

Stay away from the 2.2 Mazda, they're a pup of an engine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

1.9 tdi....

Am I missing something or did the NCT expire Feb of this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

0lddog wrote: »
    Am I missing something or did the NCT expire Feb of this year ?

You're missing something, read the ad description :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You're missing something, read the ad description :D

I guess its going to happen real soon :) ( NCTS showing Feb 2021 )

0lddog wrote: »
    I guess its going to happen real soon :) ( NCTS showing Feb 2021 )

She'll fly through it:D

She'll fly through it:D

Window regs, door locks and stuck turbo vanes aside ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/avensis-hatchback-for-sale-fresh-nct-to-may-2022-/28549243

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjYwMCwiaGVpZ2h0Ijo2MDB9fSwia2V5IjoicGhvdG9fMTg1MTc0ODI2In0=?signature=b61a15a27535dc85dc156254eb139cf7710075f494d8bbd2ea0d97492c19b20e

Decent looking Avensis hatch with NCT til May 2022 for €700

Alloys and a sunroof, so I guess in Avensis terms its well spec'd. This guys ads are always funny: "Only €700 to buy (exact amount needed, no more)"

Advertisement