Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub3k) of the week/day Part 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I wrote out a long post and the page refreshed argh.

Owned every Saab combination over the past 10 years.

Original Aeros are hard to get, rare as Hens teeth so aim for a 1.8t

€300 for a map, and bigger turbo and you will go from 150hp to 260hp 370nm.

Pick up the Aero trim and bits then as you go along. Great community for finding parts and a great quirky car to work on

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

How are they in term of mpg? I do have a heavy foot so I would be a little worried.

Would 3000€ Prius be good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭User1998

Very good idea, just a bit boring. But really nice to drive.

Im on point where boring and high mpg are my main goals. My petrol head will have to wait for better times.

What would be the cost of refurbishing battery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭passatman86

Remind me, is it actually a 1.8t or a 2.0t engine

I'm trying to remember what way they are badged or advertised

I'm asking just in case, it's gone now but saw few days ago nice 2009 Prius but with bad battery. Of course companies here don't show the price on their website...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

Did you say what year your crashed 520D is? They're electing to fix a car with 500+ mileage?

It's 2008. Decided to take money and get the car scrapped. If it was only the damage from crash, maybe I would think about getting it back, but it needs around 2000€ in other repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Xsara Picasso for €2,250. Looks like a small animal was killed in the footwell but other than that, it’s very clean.

Long NCT too. These things are very practical. Tip the back seats and you’re essentially running a small van.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34744804

2011 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 HDi

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

You will average 40mpg on motorway, 33 in the city. Considering they are 2litre turbo they are very efficient

1.8i is 1.8 litre

1.8t (150) & 2.0t(175hp) 2.0 Litre (same engine and turbo just different maps)

2.0T (Aero) Same 2.0 litre engine, but upgraded internals for cooling and bigger Turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I always thought they were around 1k to replace, which has put me off them in the past, may change that stance in future now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭GavPJ

A few years ago these were being squashed or used to block a gap in a ditch! :-)

The 1.6HDi in these wasn't as finicky as the (neglected) C5's or the disaster that

was the C4 Picasso. The original clutches didn't last long but overall they were not

a bad car and as you say, fold the seats down and you have a van. Seems to be

a lot of trim broken and a lot of scratches and dents. I'd struggle to pay over €1,000

for this but I'm still thinking of the "old" value of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Great info Gav. Thanks.

I’m the same looking at DoneDeal ‘3 grand for that!!??’ and then see that everything else is going for around the same price.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Should get a ban for DD. Decided on Prius, more or less, but found a nice Superb with DSG needing fix. It's tempting.

The more time I spend on DD/Adverts the more I think some people would need some psychological help. Expect crazy money for 15 years old cars. Not helping that especially half of the pics look like the cars were used to transport pigs.

The problem is the environment has totally changed. Used cars in Ireland were always cheap compared to our European counterparts.

The only way to get a new car into the market is by buying one new on the forecourt, or by importing. Since Brexit, and NOX came in, there is only niche cars coming in. Plus add that to a massive decline in car sales back in 2007-2011, and our 15 year old motors are worth more since there are fewer of them.

Deals still to be had, but in general, it's not coming back down. We like a wish version of CUBA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Donedeal has created a huge bunch of idiots that think they are car dealers and

the days of a trader going into a main dealer to buy a bunch of trade ins are gone.

Larger main dealers prefer to let them off to the auctions to get another piece of

the pie.

The days of going to England to buy 7 or 8 cars is gone too, creating a shortage of

used cars.

Revenue would have a field day if they done an audit of "private sellers" on Donedeal.

After spending couple of days on DD/Adverts I hate people more and more. Pictures from mile away, inside looking like a barn, description non existent and that's all for merely 7000€ for a 2008 with milion miles on the clock. God if You want to sell a car at least try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

The mind boggles really, fair enough if its sub 1000 bangers but when it's thousands of euro, clean the car, take pics from all angles and interior. IMO most importantly write up a detailed list of service history and spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nothing worse than looking at an ad saying good clean car well looked after,one picture outside in the dark and the photo of interior shows badly worn seats , stains and dirty everywhere,

But it's a clean car and well looked after and only looking for the maximum amount of money for a top of the Range model

But the majority of the population don’t know much about cars or how to sell them. They don’t know what sells a car and what doesn’t. So you can’t really blame them. And a simple phone call would clear up most questions that require answering.

Anyway, those are the types of adds that you should be looking out for. You can grab an absolute bargain from those sellers. You won’t get a good price from someone who uses gallons of tyre shine and photos every angle of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

You don't need to know anything about cars to realise that a clean and decently photographed product will be easier to sell. Fair enough about detailed specs and service history but some mention of it is the bare minimum you'd expect.

Having said this, most dealers tend to be horrendous when it comes to this with spec being wildly off and no mention of service history apart from their own check over. From a buyers perspective it a double edged sword as such cars are often not serviced well and a couple % off the price won't make up for that...

Most people wouldn’t even know how to take good photos tho let alone good photos of a car for sale.

When buying a car you should be able to look past the dirt and grime and bad photos. Just because a car has been tarted up with tyre shine and a €20 mini valet doesn’t mean its been well looked after. It could have been filthy dirty for 10 years previous.

In my experience its usually the adds with awful photos that are genuine sellers. Cars that have been tarted up are usually being sold by traders who don’t care about the history of the car or its current running condition.

Basically, you shouldn’t judge a car on the seller’s ability to take photos or cleanliness. You should judge it on what’s important like condition, mileage, NCT, maintenance etc.

@User1998 Those type of ads are minority, most of them are just from people to lazy to bother, even when You call them, they behave like selling the car is the last thing they want to do.

So if the ad look like it, I dont expect that the car was taken care either.

I have always put the same effort into selling a car. I privately advertised cars online from €200 up. A hoover and body wash with a detailed write up.

What p1sses me off is the adds with - guarantee will pass the nct... Not pushed on selling... Only testing the water.... First to see will buy... Champagne driving for lemonade money

Bit of nct and it is a desirable rare colour. Petrol turbo manual... I seen exactly the same car but cleaner for €6k a few months ago

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v70-2002/34681901

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know things are different now but it used to be a requirement that it had a decent NCT to qualify for this thread. That cars NCT is up in September.

• Advertisement

See that volvo v70 do they all have the brace near the strut tower.. And any guess what the other blue car is at the side from picture 6

Advertisement