Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB issue

Options
  • 04-05-2021 8:38am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The house next door to ours is an AirB&B and generally we don’t have any problems, this past weekend was a nightmare.

Group of 10-15 teenagers rented it to have a party.

3am, we knocked on the door in the hope of asking them to keep it down, they wouldn’t answer, noise persisted and we had to call the guards.

They refused to answer for the guards too. The guards said they issued a €500 fine to the driver of each car on the drive way, as they weren’t registered at that address and clearly in breach of covid restrictions.

I can see on the website this house is fully booked for the month of May.

Hotels, guest houses and self catering accommodation isn’t supposed to be open until June 2nd?

Can I legally do anything about this? The owner has blanked emails I’ve sent in relation to this, and if more bookings turn up, I’m just going to have to report it to AirBnB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Get on to Air B&B get house taken off the site. Get the booking cancelled. Can you get anything in writing from the guards?

if that doesn't work, some of this through the door at 3 in the morning should take care of it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stinky-Smell-Hell-Liquid-Hilarious/dp/B07GTPY2LW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

do you know the owner? We have an AirBnB next to us and last summer we had issues like this however on one particularly noisy night my neighbour called the owner to complain at 3am and he got up, arrived at his AirBnb and kicked them all out at 5am and cancelled the rest of their stay! Ever since then we have had no issues.

But you can definitely complain to AirBnB who take these matters very serously.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

<MOD SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

a few belts with a hurl would do the job

Best case scenario after this, you get arrested, worst case, they take the hurl from you, beat you senseless and claim self defence as you brought the hurl.
    Get on to Air B&B get house taken off the site. Get the booking cancelled. Can you get anything in writing from the guards?

Have you ever dealt with Airbnb? They will not take house off site and will not cancel the booking unless Host requests it and returns money to the guests.

Op, contact the owner, if in RPZ, check to see if property has planning for short lets.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

We had the same issues the June bank holiday weekend last year, dealt with the owner via DM's on the AirB&B App, they apologised and said it wouldn't happen again.

Turns out, It was the same people staying in the house this time too...group of locals who just rented it out for a session.

Now i have to say, i generally wouldn't mind if they were just meeting up to have a few drinks together as friends, this whole covid situation has been tough on everyone, but this took the biscuit. I myself am currently working shift work, another neighbour is on the opposite shift in the same company, and he also has 2 small kids who were trying to sleep.

The middle of a housing estate isn't the best place for an AirB&B that's being used as a session house.

I've been on to AirB&B, and while they replied pretty quickly, the person who was dealing with the matter has reached out to the host, and asked them for their side of the story, but they are now off until 9am east coast time tomorrow.

• Advertisement

So the person who was dealing with this at AirBnB got back to me last night.

Apparently, after their investigation, they have decided that after speaking to the host that nothing that happened on Saturday night was against their terms and conditions and they consider the case now closed and they won't be going any further with it.

Now, even tho the property is booked out on the website, there hasn't been anyone staying there since last weekend, so hopefully the host has seen some sense.

eeloe wrote: »
    So the person who was dealing with this at AirBnB got back to me last night.

Apparently, after their investigation, they have decided that after speaking to the host that nothing that happened on Saturday night was against their terms and conditions and they consider the case now closed and they won't be going any further with it.

Now, even tho the property is booked out on the website, there hasn't been anyone staying there since last weekend, so hopefully the host has seen some sense.

Most hosts allow a few days after each booking for cleaning/72hr Covid break, I only take bookings for weekends, Thursday - Sunday, so the fact there isn’t anyone there today does not mean the property has been withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is turning off the available meter switch during a party illegal ? All new builds or most houses in the last ten years have a 65A MCB switch in a case at the meter when flicked turns off the power to the house.

Easily switched back on if you know it's there .

Dav010 wrote: »
    Most hosts allow a few days after each booking for cleaning/72hr Covid break, I only take bookings for weekends, Thursday - Sunday, so the fact there isn’t anyone there today does not mean the property has been withdrawn.

Generally, i don't mind people staying there, it's better to have the house occupied than empty, but it's the thought of another house party is annoying me, especially if it's a weekend i'm supposed to be working, and if i'm kept up all night....argh.
    listermint wrote: »
    Is turning off the available meter switch during a party illegal ? All new builds or most houses in the last ten years have a 65A MCB switch in a case at the meter when flicked turns off the power to the house.

Fairly sure tampering with the power supply to someones home is fairly illegal.

You are advocating switching off power to someone else’s property?

• Advertisement

You are advocating switching off power to someone else’s property?

I asked was it illegal. It's there in my post , read the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do you reckon somebody renting the house for big parties gives a crap about "covid cleansing "?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I asked was it illegal. It's there in my post , read the words.

Why would you think it possibly could be legal to tamper with someone else’s power supply?

Do you reckon somebody renting the house for big parties gives a crap about "covid cleansing "?

No, but the Host/Airbnb do.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

Just keep reporting the issues as they arise to the owner, guards and Airbnb. It'll be such a hassle the owner will take more care in who they rent their property to. Likely the owner got caught off guard on this occasion, the house was a mess, and they'll be more cautious about who they rent to in future.

The owner decides Availablity on the Airbnb website, so being unavailable could mean booked or just the owner isn't taking reservations for that time.

The house may need to be registered with the council to operate as an Airbnb. You could follow that up with the council. If you are in an estate with a management company, the activity might not be allowed under either under the agreement you all signed up to. ( mine is rentals less than three months are not allowed as per the terms of the leasehold agreement)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

sharpish wrote: »
    Just keep reporting the issues as they arise to the owner, guards and Airbnb. It'll be such a hassle the owner will take more care in who they rent their property to. Likely the owner got caught off guard on this occasion, the house was a mess, and they'll be more cautious about who they rent to in future.

The owner decides Availablity on the Airbnb website, so being unavailable could mean booked or just the owner isn't taking reservations for that time.

The house may need to be registered with the council to operate as an Airbnb. You could follow that up with the council. If you are in an estate with a management company, the activity might not be allowed under either under the agreement you all signed up to. ( mine is rentals less than three months are not allowed as per the terms of the leasehold agreement)

I have a friend who was doing Airbnb for a few month.
    Loads of complaints about wheely suitcase noise from one of the neighbors.
    The management company were on to them non stop.
    In the end they gave up and stopped the AirBnB.
    The council had got on to them after the management company got on to the council and told him to stop doing airbnb, but would he lease it to them for 10 years.
    So they leased the apartment to the council instead for 10 years.
    The council put total scumbags in who are destroying the whole development and noone can get any sleep at all.

Management company are on to my friend every week about it now again.
    He asks the council to sort out their tenant.
    Council say PFO. Neighbors and himself now wish that the odd clatter of a suitcase wheel was all they could hear.

Tell this guy not to rent to the council if he gives up doing airbnb.

Why would you think it possibly could be legal to tamper with someone else’s power supply?

No idea. It was a question it's a questions forum. Are you new here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Self catering accommodation is supposed to closed under current Corona restrictions, not due to open until 2nd June.

Are you in Donegal, I believe there is a hot line? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If it's locals renting it for partied find out where they live and knock on their family home door at 3 in the morning telling them to sort it out would put a swift end to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

<MOD SNIP>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

any more suggestions of illegal or potentially illegal 'solutions' will end badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

eeloe wrote: »
    Turns out, It was the same people staying in the house this time too...group of locals who just rented it out for a session.
    Drop an unsigned leaflet in the door saying that the Gardai will be called if they make any noise.

And follow up on the promise at 11pm if the sesh is making noise.

I don't think said leaflet would be illegal, once it only mentions the Gardai being called if there was loud noise after 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

squelch666 wrote: »
    <MOD SNIP>

My comment was deleted it was ott

maybe book the house yourself and bring a few horses or something fun into the house and have a little party and invite the owner the house round and sure see what they think..

Mod i dont think.that is illegal

squelch666 wrote: »
    My comment was deleted it was ott

maybe book the house yourself and bring a few horses or something fun into the house and have a little party and invite the owner the house round and sure see what they think..

Mod i dont think.that is illegal

You do understand that the op is the neighbour and would be paying to book the house, with his/her credit card, what could possibly go wrong with your plan? And yes, purposely damaging other peoples property is a crime, Criminal Damage Act 1991.

Just a small update here to let anyone who was following the story know.

There hasn't been a single guest at the property since this happened so the owner must have cancelled any of the bookings they had taken for the month of May.

I expect a busy summer, and i genuinely hope they are busy and earn some money, but i hope the guests that are staying respect the place and the fact that the neighbours have to LIVE in the area, and we aren't on holiday.

Advertisement