Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Bad Batch

• 04-05-2021 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭

Watched the first episode there, going off it i have some high hopes.

Comments

Vicxas wrote: »
    Watched the first episode there, going off it i have some high hopes.

I watched it earlier and honestly it was a bit meh. Hoping it'll pick up though. Appreciate the first episode is more for setting the lay of the land so didn't expect too much to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I loved it.

I like that they stuck with the style and designs of Clone Wars.

Very interesting to see the transition from Republic to Empire. And weird to see the Clones not being heroes - yes in Episode III and the TCW finale they turned bad but now we see that Order 66 also turned the Regs into jerks. :p

So like with Ashoka and Ezra/Kanan are people obsessing over the Bad Batch’s fate because they don’t appear in the OT, etc. ?? :)

And has the wagering begun about when Ashoka and Rex are going to turn up? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

A good start for the most part with a few little issues like the clones turning into raging assholes to each as mentioned above and the
    resistance seeming to start up so quick into the Empires rule.Would have been nice to see it taking more than one mission to turn the squad against the Empire along with Crosshair's issues with Hunter's leadership being dragged out a bit more.
    Roll on next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Struth!
    She's so Stralian!
    :D

1: Solid start. This one felt like it had to break them free of the past more than set them up in the present. It sorted that out. I'd be thinking the rest of the season will bring in a direction for the show to take.

Slydice wrote: »
    Struth!
    She's so Stralian!
    :D

1: Solid start. This one felt like it had to break them free of the past more than set them up in the present. It sorted that out. I'd be thinking the rest of the season will bring in a direction for the show to take.

Earth accents are nothing new.

They’ve had Scottish, Irish, French, etc. In the movies and shows.

Twi’leks are French. It bugs me that Hera did not have a French accent with the reason being claimed she had lost it because she left Ryloth at a young age. She was much older than Aayla Secura would have been so the real reason is that you can’t have a French accent in the main cast. :p

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    A good start for the most part with a few little issues like the clones turning into raging assholes to each as mentioned above and the
    resistance seeming to start up so quick into the Empires rule.Would have been nice to see it taking more than one mission to turn the squad against the Empire along with Crosshair's issues with Hunter's leadership being dragged out a bit more.
    Roll on next week :)

The Clones being jerks does make sense - they are copies of Jango Fett and he was like that.

While watching the episode I thought it made sense to have
    the Regs becoming jerks because if it they retained their original personalities then they would not fall in line with the Empire’s orders. However after a bit of thought I feel that the writers need to show us some conflict in the Regs to show a reason why Palpatine would abandon an army that apparently now follows any order given.

If the reason is Tarkin’s already established preference for human troops then they should show us that he is influencing the Emperor’s decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Relikk

Struth!
    She's so Stralian!
    biggrin.png

More of a kiwi accent, and it gives away what she is straight away (even though we knew from the trailer, already).

Relikk wrote: »
    More of a kiwi accent, and it gives away what she is straight away (even though we knew from the trailer, already).

She doesn’t have that accent because she is a clone.

She has the accent because that is the accent of the person she is cloned from, just like the Clones accents in New Zealand because that was Jango’s accent.

I’m guessing the accent is clue that her donar and Jango are from the same world and that the identity of/search of the donar is going to be major storyline through the show.

2:
    Yey! She can stay! Real heart strings moment at the separation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Relikk

Really enjoying this so far and it makes me want to go back and watch the first third of season 7 of the Clone Wars again, mostly because of the anticipation for the final third I suppose I never really soaked up the Bad Batch episodes. The Hunter/Omega relationship is cute and definitely not something I foresaw myself being interested in before the show started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Few things so far.

Caleb/Kanan: Was the character ever voiced as a kid before, I've read comics and books but I can't find or remember if there was any flash backs in Rebels. Freddie Prinze, Jr. voice sounded weird for it here, trying to make him sound younger but missing it a bit. Also the complaints of white washing him and some of the clones is ridiculous.

Omega: I like her, and there's no way this show is the characters only appearance. Filoni has talked about it before about his animated stuff, about having characters and themes being younger and aging up in both over a series. Can definitely see her showing up in the future for Mandalorian.

2:
    Yey! She can stay! Real heart strings moment at the separation!

Agreed

Varik wrote: »
    Few things so far.

Caleb/Kanan: Was the character ever voiced as a kid before, I've read comics and books but I can't find or remember if there was any flash backs in Rebels. Freddie Prinze, Jr. voice sounded weird for it here, trying to make him sound younger but missing it a bit. Also the complaints of white washing him and some of the clones is ridiculous.

Omega: I like her, and there's no way this show is the characters only appearance. Filoni has talked about it before about his animated stuff, about having characters and themes being younger and aging up in both over a series. Can definitely see her showing up in the future for Mandalorian.

After reading I made the mistake of googling the “white washing”. Now my head hurts.

I see no difference in any the Bad Batch to how they appeared in Clone Wars and any difference in skin tone to each other or the Regs must be tiny.

I see no problem with Kanan.

And Omega has not been “white washed” either. She isn’t a Jango clone and nowhere in Aftermath was it stated that she was. She is a modified clone “like” the Bad Batch are modified but modified from the donor’s DNA. And Omega is a white female clone - meaning the donor is a white female. Star Wars doesn’t do topical issues like gender identity - they do fun adventure.

Yes I am also expecting Omega to turn up in one of the post-RotJ shows but I think it will be the Ashoka Tano series.

What age is she? I am thinking 10?

She is obviously of great importance since the Kaminoan Prime Minister wanted her escape kept secret though what exactly they were keeping secret wasn’t revealed - I got the feeling that it is her existence they want hidden. If she is part of an Imperial agenda then they could keep it secret for long unless there are more of her.

I’m expecting Ashoka, Rex, Boba Fett and Din Djarin to make an appearance at some stage.

I’m expecting Ashoka, Rex, Boba Fett and Din Djarin to make an appearance at some stage.

I really hope not. I expect Rex to turn up, maybe Ahsoka but don't see any reason to include Boba and Din at this point in the timeline.

What age is she? I am thinking 10?

Probably around that or older, I wouldn't bother try to guess as if all you've to go off is general height they've messed up there before with Ezra in Rebels. He's meant to be a little bit older than Luke and Leia, but when he meets Leia she's a lot taller than him and then between seasons he's grows like 2 plus feet.
    I really hope not. I expect Rex to turn up, maybe Ahsoka but don't see any reason to include Boba and Din at this point in the timeline.

Unless they do something with the Purge for Mangalore I don't think we'll see anything with them.

They already exist at that point.

I don’t like too many crossovers as it makes the Galaxy “small” but I still expect them - Filoni can’t seem to let some characters go.

And I forgot about Hondo.

Hondo crossing into with every show or movie would be fun.

Varik wrote: »
    Probably around that or older, I wouldn't bother try to guess as if all you've to go off is general height they've messed up there before with Ezra in Rebels. He's meant to be a little bit older than Luke and Leia, but when he meets Leia she's a lot taller than him and then between seasons he's grows like 2 plus feet.

Unless they do something with the Purge for Mangalore I don't think we'll see anything with them.

Not unusual for teenage girls to be taller than boys.

I’d like the Night of a Thousand Tears and the events leading to it and the aftermath to be its own miniseries or movie.

They already exist at that point.

I don’t like too many crossovers as it makes the Galaxy “small” but I still expect them - Filoni can’t seem to let some characters go.

And I forgot about Hondo.

Hondo crossing into with every show or movie would be fun.

I'm not disputing that they exist. I just don't see a need for them to turn up

I'm not disputing that they exist. I just don't see a need for them to turn up

Okay, when I read your post the first time I thought that you that that neither had been born at that point. Not sure now why I thought that.

I wasn’t going to say anything about this but coming back to the thread I find it hard not to.

A sensible explanation for why the Lawquane family didn’t leave Salucami in the Bad Batch ship was needed. The team might be wanted fugitives but their shuttle was an UNTRACEABLE way off planet to start a new life anywhere. A forged chain code is still a way to track the user.

Yes, leaving with the squad isn’t very exciting, but surely they could have thought of a good reason why they had to take the dangerous option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I guess the forged chain codes helps them in the long run as well in starting a new life.
    If you were going on the run, would you prefer to have forged papers for a new identity like a passport or would you rather be smuggled somewhere and not being able to get proper work/support due to no proof of identity? Might be okay if by yourself but for a family?

The way it keeps showing Omega watching things being done could imply she's someone who can pick things up quickly just by seeing it done.
    Maybe she's a clone of a jedi? Though I think she is meant to be a female Jango clone.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I guess the forged chain codes helps them in the long run as well in starting a new life.
    If you were going on the run, would you prefer to have forged papers for a new identity like a passport or would you rather be smuggled somewhere and not being able to get proper work/support due to no proof of identity? Might be okay if by yourself but for a family?

Cut actually didn’t know about chain codes until the shifty merchant he was buying the tickets from told him, which was after he had declined transportation on the squad’s ship. Plus it was Cut’s intent to settle somewhere isolated or out of the way.

However you came up with a pretty good explanation to need a chain code - though as above the family was looking to be out of the way.

Anyway none of that takes away the fact it was great episode. Nice to see the Lawquane family again and town that is more than a simple outpost. And the media propaganda was a nice touch. And as was mentioned earlier the story did pull the heartstrings.

[/quote The way it keeps showing Omega watching things being done could imply she's someone who can pick things up quickly just by seeing it done.
    Maybe she's a clone of a jedi? Though I think she is meant to be a female Jango clone.[/quote]

I don’t think Jedi can be cloned. The Force certainly cannot be replicated that way and I am pretty sure it was established that a strong Force connection prevents cloning.

Omega is white, and Jango, Boba and the clones are all dark skinned. Dave Filoni isn’t daft enough to “white wash” a character.

I think cloning is meant to straightforward replication. Enhancements like the Bad Batch were experimental land new ground - which is why there wasn’t more of them.

Changing gender would be a similar experiment. And if she was a female Jango they would have said so.

And that would be boring.

I think who she is a clone of and why she was created is going to be a big part of the series.

You mean the Midi-chlorian can't be cloned? :)

If not for the blonde hair it could be Padme. Only blonde woman I can think of is Satine.

But think I'll just let it play out and not go researching and reading about it

CastorTroy wrote: »
    You mean the Midi-chlorian can't be cloned? :)

If not for the blonde hair it could be Padme. Only blonde woman I can think of is Satine.

But think I'll just let it play out and not go researching and reading about it

When typing that post midichlorians never even came into my head. I’m getting old and forgetful.

No I don’t think that is it as modichlorians are everywhere even in clones - the ability to communicate with them is what separates Jedi from normals.

It isn’t going to be anything like a Padme or an “I’m am your father “ thing. Filoni is too smart for that. I think Omega is cloned from a new character and the big mystery will be about the reasons for cloning her.

The Kaminoans didn’t want the Imperials to know about Omega’s involvement in the Bad Batch’s escape. I can only think of two reasons for this - that they didn’t want to attract attention to Omega’s existence or else to the fact that they had lost her. If it is the later then that suggests that she was created for the Empire AND that there is more of her on Kamino (how e K we could they hide her absence?).

I wouldn’t think there is going to be much theory about Omega’s origin as I expect this to be another “how will Ashoka die”/“Rey is Luke’s daughter” thing - people will obsess that she is a Jango clone and freak out at suggestions of otherwise.

Sure Disney+ is the land of crazy fan theories, whether this, Mando or WandaVision.

3:
    D'aaaawwwweee Wrecker!
    :) On the
    Clone/Storm troopers side.. I wonder if the Kaminoans will switch up from having better clones to just training the Storm troopers to have terrible aim!
    :)

I think it was mentioned in Rebels that early stormtroopers were very well trained. The less competent ones came along later - I figured the Empire went for quantity over quality once they had decimated their rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I don’t think Jedi can be cloned. The Force certainly cannot be replicated that way and I am pretty sure it was established that a strong Force connection prevents cloning.

Omega is white, and Jango, Boba and the clones are all dark skinned. Dave Filoni isn’t daft enough to “white wash” a character.

I think cloning is meant to straightforward replication. Enhancements like the Bad Batch were experimental land new ground - which is why there wasn’t more of them.

Changing gender would be a similar experiment. And if she was a female Jango they would have said so.

And that would be boring.

I think who she is a clone of and why she was created is going to be a big part of the series.

Cloning jedi was a big thing in legends media which is no longer canon but with
    Snoak/Palpatine
    in the new trilogy and the
    bodies in the bacta tanks/grogu genetic experiments
    in Mando season 2 it definitely seems like something they're not opposed to.

I hope she's not a jedi clone though as I'm getting sick of characters coming back from the dead.

I thought she was the last jango clone and her being female was just a variation like Wrecker's strength. The clone wars also left the door open to force sensitive clones
    when yoda said that all clones have a unique presence in the force. Although yoda seems to contradict himself every 5 minutes so who knows what that means :pac:

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Cloning jedi was a big thing in legends media which is no longer canon but with
    Snoak/Palpatine
    in the new trilogy and the
    bodies in the bacta tanks/grogu genetic experiments
    in Mando season 2 it definitely seems like something they're not opposed to.

I stopped reading the EU early in the the New Jedi Order series (due to other circumstances and I just never got a chance to get back to it - funny thing is for years I had been wanting the writhes to create a new original villain different to Sith or Empire) - so did it go Clone Jedi mad at some point?

I cannot actually find anything saying that Jedi or Sith cannot be cloned and apparently the novelisation of Attack of the Clones features a con serdar ion where one of the Jedi Council says it would have been better if Sufi-Dyas had had a Jedi cloned. So on Lucas’ mind they could - assuming that point came from his earlier drafts.

The Sequel trilogy is not something I consider when thinking of the Star Wars canon, and they are on Asi ally a rip off of the old EU anyway.

The season 2 finale of Mandolorian did indeed reveal something about cloning Force users. I had thought Gideon wanted the Child to turn him into a weapon but the fact that he only wanted his blood and that the scientist was a cloner tell us that there is more to it. I don’t think though that they are cloning Grogu though.

Gyan84 wrote: »
    I hope she's not a jedi clone though as I'm getting sick of characters coming back from the dead.

I thought she was the last jango clone and her being female was just a variation like Wrecker's strength. The clone wars also left the door open to force sensitive clones
    when yoda said that all clones have a unique presence in the force. Although yoda seems to contradict himself every 5 minutes so who knows what that means :pac:

I don’t think she is a Jedi clone - and I really hope not.

I think there is a clue to Omega’s donor in the accent - like maybe she is connected to Jango somehow.

In Ambush, Yoda meant that each clone was unique in the Force in the same way that all beings are unique in the Force. That they people just like everyone else - and not less than because they are copies.

• Advertisement

The original batch of clones were trained by jango, and at some point even without jango clones would have grown up surrounded by others with that accent. Omega too.

Filoni got a promotion, he's now an executive creative director after being an executive producer at lucas.

Advertisement