Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleting unwanted files Windows 10

Options
  • 04-05-2021 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    I see I had a lot of space taken up by stuff I didn't want, one thing was some Disney Magic Kingdoms (DMK), some folder for that was almost 1GB, but I could not delete it even though I am a full admin user on the PC.

Even when I went in via command line (running as an admin) and used the /f for the del command - it still said "Access denied".

I should be able to uninstall DMK the normal way, but it doesn't appear in any menu or in the list of installed applications.

It's very annoying that as an admin I can't delete something that I clearly don't need, it's not like they are important system files that could feck up the OS if I deleted them ??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are these DMK files a remnant from a past OS install?

Have you taken ownership of the files as admin, and then tried deleting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

markmoto wrote: »

Did that, changed the owner to myself , and appears I need permission from myself .... God I miss Windows 95...

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Did that, changed the owner to myself , and appears I need permission from myself .... God I miss Windows 95...

It could be that you have missed something hard to tell.
    From Windows 10 you are no longer the owner of OS.

If you miss Windows 95 you might try MX Linux you would be extremely happy.

It could be that you have missed something hard to tell.
    From Windows 10 you are no longer the owner of OS.

If you miss Windows 95 you might try MX Linux you would be extremely happy.

Thanks, I use Linux Mint in a VM, I haven't jumped to using Linux as my main OS as I do like to use my machine for games too...

• Advertisement

...actually was thinking, would starting windows in safe mode and manually navigating to the folder and deleting it from command line work ?

I'll try later when at home ..

TomSweeney wrote: »
    ...actually was thinking, would starting windows in safe mode and manually navigating to the folder and deleting it from command line work ?

I'll try later when at home ..

or using mx linux live usb

or using mx linux live usb

ah good point, that will allow me access to the windows disk partition!

Advertisement