Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on mobile problem

Options
  • 04-05-2021 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭

Folks, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this query but my Dad is on a payg contract with Vodafone and every now and than when you ring his mobile it's goes to voicemail even though he has the phone turned on and he is not on a call. It's only happens say once every 2 months. He doesn't have a smart phone. Just a big standard old Nokia handset. Does anyone know what could cause this. Could it be Vodafone and network issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this query but my Dad is on a payg contract with Vodafone and every now and than when you ring his mobile it's goes to voicemail even though he has the phone turned on and he is not on a call. It's only happens say once every 2 months. He doesn't have a smart phone. Just a big standard old Nokia handset. Does anyone know what could cause this. Could it be Vodafone and network issues?

This can happen if there is a shortage of network capacity in your area. If all the voice channels are occupied by other users any incoming calls will go to voicemail. Having an old Nokia phone is probably not helping - as your Dad doesn't have access to additional capacity on 3G, 4G(VOLTE/4G Calling), or WiFi Calling. As 2G users become the minority, the networks will re-farm spectrum from 2G & 3G/4G & 5G. This will increase the likelihood of hitting congestion in 2G. Many houses also have poor indoor coverage on 3G/4G/5G, so you really need to be using WiFi calling to compensate for the loss of 2G capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

This can happen if there is a shortage of network capacity in your area. If all the voice channels are occupied by other users any incoming calls will go to voicemail. Having an old Nokia phone is probably not helping - as your Dad doesn't have access to additional capacity on 3G, 4G(VOLTE/4G Calling), or WiFi Calling. As 2G users become the minority, the networks will re-farm spectrum from 2G & 3G/4G & 5G. This will increase the likelihood of hitting congestion in 2G. Many houses also have poor indoor coverage on 3G/4G/5G, so you really need to be using WiFi calling to compensate for the loss of 2G capacity.

Just wondering if my dads phone can enable WiFi calling will it use up credit because he is on payasyougo with Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering if my dads phone can enable WiFi calling will it use up credit because he is on payasyougo with Vodafone?

Vodafone don't offer WiFi Calling on their Pay-as-you-go plans. Also - WiFi Calling will not work on your Dad's old Nokia phone. He would need to get an Android or iPhone - and you need to be specific about the model, and make sure that it supports WiFi calling on his network. As far as I know Eir supports WiFi calling for new customers on all their plans, including PAYG and their budget GoMo brand, but you will still need to change handset.

WiFi calling simply routes the voice calls via WiFi instead of via the public mobile masts, when you are in WiFi coverage. It means that you never need to worry about lack of coverage or capacity. The minutes will still count against your existing plan - but most plans that have WiFi calling included also have unlimited minutes, so it probably isn't an issue for most people.

Advertisement