Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

Ideo wrote: »
    Have you considered perrystown?

I’ve seen a few houses within budget in Perrystown, but it’s an area I don’t know at all. Is it separate to Kimmage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Molina wrote: »
    I've heard that Donabate will be a nightmare traffic wise in a few years due to overdevelopment and that there's only one road. Do you know anything about that? There are a lot of new builds there within budget.

Afraid not, would only know the area from visiting friends but have never had any access issues. Some lovely houses out there for the money but I've only ever travelled north from there never back toward the city. Others here would be able to offer more insight I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭suilegorma

Highly recommend Shankill for your needs, having spent lockdown here I wouldn't live elsewhere! It's a very settled area, lots of really nice neighbours all over. There's a new etns at Cherrywood and the GS in Ballyogan is not far. You've got beach, park, walks on your doorstep, Bray for restaurants, Wicklow on your doorstep. Tonnes of sports clubs too. By secondary school kids can get themselves there, Dublin in general lacks co ed but a few have been mentioned above, also if in gs then Colaiste Rathin in Bray. Dart & 145/155 bud route. Not far from luas. There are new developments on the pipeline but it tends to be older properties for sale but in general you get a bigger garden & more green spaces in the older estates. Right now it's hard & expensive to get building work done but if you find a place that's liveable for a while and make plans at your leisure. I'm totally biased of course but it's a lovely place to raise kids. Best of luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Portmarnock. Loads going up near dart/beach at 500-600 mark. I have one and its f***ing great.

I mention it because its closer to town than Malahide, ticks a lot of your boxes, is a lovely middle class suburb and is a stones throw away from the sea. House prices might be a bit eyewatering but off the main track you might get a older semi-D as part of a probate sale - not IMO as nice to live in as Malahide but a lovely but a bit dull place - Clontarf. Restaurants, Nolans supermarket, a few cafes , some shops and the seafront promenade!!! And a bit of a (long!) walk down to the georgous St Annes park in Raheny ( straddling the edge of Clontarf) and the blue flag Dollymount beach. Schools etc. Worth a google.

We’d love Clontarf or Raheny (close to the sea), but I think we’re priced out of both. Any properties we’ve seen within budget require so much work that we can’t afford them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

We’d love Clontarf or Raheny (close to the sea), but I think we’re priced out of both. Any properties we’ve seen within budget require so much work that we can’t afford them.

Y - its a long shot but always worth keeping a google wary eye on - its just shocking that a decent family can’t buy a decent home for over half a million euro . Shocking when you think of it . :(

suilegorma wrote: »
    Highly recommend Shankill for your needs,

Thanks for that. I’ve seen a few places in Shankill alright, but worried about the distance from town. How long does it take to city? Would a taxi be very expensive after a night out?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

If your budget is 550k, well realistic you're looking at starting at 450 - 500k and bidding up. Not great choice from what I can see on the Southside. Better on the Northside. However if looking for something closer to the city, I would consider -

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-53-hampton-green-dublin-7/3160663

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-28-ashtown-grove-navan-road-ashtown-dublin-7/2584000

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-14-glendhu-park-navan-road-dublin-7/3174978

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-36-woodview-park-castleknock-dublin-15/2923656

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-42-woodview-park-castleknock-dublin-15/2591199

The benefit of having the Pheonix Park on your door step cannot be overstated.

Stevie S wrote: »
    Shankill ticks most of the boxes from the OP

Thanks for that. Will definitely check out Shankill. Any areas you’d recommend/ to avoid?

Magno_DT wrote: »
    If you check out The Gallops in Leopardstown.

Will keep an eye on it. We’ve registered with the Clay Farm development. Any thoughts on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭brookers

Marcusm wrote: »
    Churchview Road is not n Killiney, it’s the other side of Ballybtack shopping centre from Killiney and Matt Damon like Dalkey not Killiney. None of this should really matter in the choice of homes but let’s get the areas right.

If the OP thinks Terenure is potentially too far from town (it’s walkable) then Malahide (which would be ideal in so many ways) is at least 3 times further.

That actually is incorrect, he walked Killiney Hill every morning and mentioned the beauty of the mountains and the sea and where Bono lived on the Vico, last I heard that is in Killiney. Also you are always only 5 mins away from these beautiful spots. Watsons estate is in Killiney as is Churchview Road, another error in your post. That is the postal address. Not everybody can live on the Vico Road but you can live in the general area. A wonderful place to being up children, walking up the hill, swimming in the sea, trip to Sandycove, coffee in Glasthule or Dun Laoghaire, 40 foot, Bray Head, Greystones etc. Shanganagh Park, it must be the best triangle in Dublin for beauty.

Thanks for that. I’ve seen a few places in Shankill alright, but worried about the distance from town. How long does it take to city? Would a taxi be very expensive after a night out?

In the dart, nearly an hour. Depends on time of morning but if you leave after 7am it could take 90 mins driving.
    Taxi home is 40 euro approx

42 Woodview - didn’t look at the house but shared small oddshaped driveway at an angle - nightmare IMO. Never underestimate peoples ability to damage you car or be total selfish pricks when it comes to parking or shared/unequal/viewed as communal spaces. One of your links!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Something like this:ñ

We like Ballinteer. The house looks like it might be over budget to renovate though. I’m not sure how much a refurb costs, but looking through boards it seems we’d be looking at 100k. Has anyone done up a similar property & wouldn’t mind sharing the cost I’d be looking at? We’ve no building skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Not a good time to buy right now there's never been less for sale. I'd rent and hold out for a year or two hopefully the current madness subsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭suilegorma

Tbh nights out in town are rare at my stage of life! 35-40 euro in a taxi a couple of times a year. Dart is about 45 mins. Bray/Dalkey are great for restaurants so there are options close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stevie S

40 mins to Tara St on DART, every 10 mins.
    €25/€30 from South City centre. Baggott st/ Harcourt St

bubblypop wrote: »
    In the dart, nearly an hour. Depends on time of morning but if you leave after 7am it could take 90 mins driving.
    Taxi home is 40 euro approx

That’s really helpful. Thanks

Thanks so much to everyone who’s replied. I hope I haven’t missed anyone. Really appreciate the advice & suggestions.

Thanks for that. Will definitely check out Shankill. Any areas you’d recommend/ to avoid?

I can't speak for it to avoid but you'll be told by some the area just near the DART on the north/town side of it
    Haven't seen any negative comments about anywhere else and nothing major on the area to avoid either to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Magno_DT

Will keep an eye on it. We’ve registered with the Clay Farm development. Any thoughts on it?

Well the benefits of Clay Farm would be the brand new house feel which is always nice. They are beautiful inside. I believe they are built by the same developers (Park Development) so they are good quality houses built by a reliable developer. Very convenient to the Luas, schools, and Dunnes as well.

We personally prefer The Gallops because the back gardens in Clay farm were a bit too small, and less green space generally in the estate. Do the new builds have their own front garden/parking area? The ones we saw seemed to have communal/shared parking. Since we might have an electric car some day in the future we didn't like the idea of that because I'm not sure how installing a charging point would work.

The Gallops are that bit cheaper because they aren't new builds. But it's more the feel of The Gallops though which we loved. We drove through it on a sunny day and it just had a real family feel to it. All the kids out playing on the greens and tennis courts. It felt very safe. And also, because the school is in the estate itself, the kids who attend it generally live here too. The school is highly rated on the estate's Facebook page by all the parents so we're hoping to send our little ones there when they get to that stage. There's a brand new Educate together secondary school being built in the estate too over the next couple of years.

I would say definitely take a spin through the estate sometime to see what you think.

Magno_DT wrote: »
    Well the benefits of Clay Farm would be the brand new house feel which is always nice. They are beautiful inside. I believe they are built by the same developers (Park Development) so they are good quality houses built by a reliable developer. Very convenient to the Luas, schools, and Dunnes as well.

We personally prefer The Gallops because the back gardens in Clay farm were a bit too small, and less green space generally in the estate. Do the new builds have their own front garden/parking area? The ones we saw seemed to have communal/shared parking. Since we might have an electric car some day in the future we didn't like the idea of that because I'm not sure how installing a charging point would work.

The Gallops are that bit cheaper because they aren't new builds. But it's more the feel of The Gallops though which we loved. We drove through it on a sunny day and it just had a real family feel to it. All the kids out playing on the greens and tennis courts. It felt very safe. And also, because the school is in the estate itself, the kids who attend it generally live here too. The school is highly rated on the estate's Facebook page by all the parents so we're hoping to send our little ones there when they get to that stage. There's a brand new Educate together secondary school being built in the estate too over the next couple of years.

I would say definitely take a spin through the estate sometime to see what you think.

Thanks Magno. We’ll do that! The current phase of Clay Farm has two designated spaces per house. They do look nice, & are close to Stepaside, the Luas & shopping centre. What’s putting me off is the scale of the development. I think it might feel like a bit like a concrete jungle once it’s finished.

I liked the look of most of the places from Clay Farm down as far as Glencairn in Leopardstown. Think they're well priced for what you get. The Gallops, Glencairn, Orby all should be below €550k for the 3 bed semi Ds with potential to convert

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Shankill is a dead zone of faceless housing estates, and a narrow through road for traffic heading to Bray. There's one pub with a Chinese upstairs, that's your lot. There's a park which is large but fairly featureless and is a good place to pick up skin infections for any dogs you're walking there. There is a very narrow rocky beach accessible by a treacherous concrete stairs and is a great place for drinking cans (and leaving them there).

There are lots of amenities and nice places near Shankill, but you'll be driving to them unless you live by the station.

It has a dart station but there is no other transport feeding the station, and the station is a 10 minute walk from the nearest 145 bus stop. In theory it is an hour in rush hour traffic if you can physically get on a train, realistically you should give yourself 90 minutes because the trains will be full. Bus travel will be 90 minutes travel time in and out of town, also don't bother attempting to get a bus after about 7.30 as they will be full already and will sail past you until around 9.

Unless busconnects gets delivered you will not get public transport to Sandyford or City West, or indeed anywhere that isn't on a straight line in and out of the city centre. Traffic getting out of both ends of Shankill is a pain.

Great place to live if you like doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Shankill is a dead zone of faceless housing estates, and a narrow through road for traffic heading to Bray. There's one pub with a Chinese upstairs, that's your lot. There's a park which is large but fairly featureless and is a good place to pick up skin infections for any dogs you're walking there. There is a very narrow rocky beach accessible by a treacherous concrete stairs and is a great place for drinking cans (and leaving them there).

There are lots of amenities and nice places near Shankill, but you'll be driving to them unless you live by the station.

It has a dart station but there is no other transport feeding the station, and the station is a 10 minute walk from the nearest 145 bus stop. In theory it is an hour in rush hour traffic if you can physically get on a train, realistically you should give yourself 90 minutes because the trains will be full. Bus travel will be 90 minutes travel time in and out of town, also don't bother attempting to get a bus after about 7.30 as they will be full already and will sail past you until around 9.

Unless busconnects gets delivered you will not get public transport to Sandyford or City West, or indeed anywhere that isn't on a straight line in and out of the city centre. Traffic getting out of both ends of Shankill is a pain.

Great place to live if you like doing nothing.

Not a great choice for "no anti social behaviour" either.

Some fair points and inaccurate ones on Shankill there I would say

Loads to do from a sporting and outdoor perspective.

The DART is never packed towards town when getting on. It's either the 2nd or 3rd stop so even at peak school time you'll get a seat. The station's proximity to the 145 is fairly irrelevant for most of Shankill and the 145 bus itself has the best bus corridor in the city

Traffic can be bad at rush hour to Bray. Avoid if possible

Eating out is a non event right enough outside of the pub which is very good. Needs to be Bray and should be lots of stuff popping up in Cherrywood

Not witnessed a lot of anti social behaviour but as mentioned near the DART doesn't have a great reputation

Some newer developments popping up but at early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Stevie S wrote: »
    I liked the look of most of the places from Clay Farm down as far as Glencairn in Leopardstown. Think they're well priced for what you get. The Gallops, Glencairn, Orby all should be below €550k for the 3 bed semi Ds with potential to convert

It's the other side of the road / down the road from clay farm you'd want to Google....

If the OP wants to be a short commute to town , citywest and sandyford all the posts recommending the north side and Shankill seem mad, - 5especially far out places like donabate etc. Even Malahide isnt particularly an easy reach of town and the Southside.

Dundrum, churchtown, glencairn , kilmacud, stillorgan, milltown, cabinteely , sandyford itself etc are ideal.

The problem is 4 bedrooms, move in condition , a requirement not to be near any anti social behaviour and a budget of 550k mean it's going to be very difficult to get all those things in any of those areas.

It's a very nice development, full of families, on the luas and close to an ET secondary. Glencairn, orby the gallops very nice too - nicely developed estates, well kept houses, young families. Sandyford hall would be worth considering also.

I thought the houses in all of the above were very close together/gardens overlooked but thems the breaks for newer houses.

Another poster mentioned the Ballyogan social housing which is close by and doesnt have a great rep but honestly I wouldnt say the residents in the nearby estates get much hassle.

I'd happily have bought around glencairn or clay farm .

• Advertisement

I ised be based out in Dun Laoghaire which I loved. Obviously you wouldn’t be based on the Main St area. Is there anything to be had out there ‘anymore’ for half a million-ish? Or its duller more expensive counterpart Glenageary? Doubt Sandymount offers anything for leas than a mil but wouldn’t that be nice!!! I did see two Edwardian houses for sale aide by side a few
    months back - one renovated for 1.1 mil (!) and its neighbour for just over 500,000 - the cheaper one sold!!! Always worth checking your dreams...

As for communal parking, ‘allocated spaces’, no driveways & management fees for houses - run run run a mile & keep running. You need a driveway to know you can park your car without it being occupied by someone elses visiting friend/partner/childminder/music teacher/mother/ f /adult children/ etc. There are no end to the horror stories - and thats before the clampers are brought in. And despite protests NO ONE overseas or is responsible for so called ‘management companies’ - you will be fighting and writing cheques to builders and developers and for their spouses and adult children for decades. Avoid like the plague. IMO.

Advertisement