Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550k?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think I would log in to daft put in Dublin, put in your requirements eg 4 beds, house ,price and then narrow from there.
    Out of the suggestions so far Malahide would be my favourite .
    It is gorgeous and good schools and the dart and my least favourite would be Hollystown but it is along time since I lived there, it is nice but there was literally nothing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

I'd say Templeogue, Knocklyon and parts of Walkinstown would be worth a look, but you'd need to talk to a few locals before buying to be sure of some of the areas, to know where to avoid etc - the houses in your price range described as Templeogue might not be in what most people would consider Templeogue...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I think I would log in to daft put in Dublin, put in your requirements eg 4 beds, house ,price and then narrow from there.
    Out of the suggestions so far Malahide would be my favourite .
    It is gorgeous and good schools and the dart and my least favourite would be Hollystown but it is along time since I lived there, it is nice but there was literally nothing there.

Would you get a house for €500k in Malahide though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭derekgine3

Whoever suggested Hollystown is either trolling or is looking to sell their property.

The place is aesthetically pleasing for those not familiar with the area but with over 30% social housing and Tyyrellstown which is the worst area in Dublin imo literally right beside it. It's absolute day light robbery for the hard working person to purchase a property there, the place will be a cesspit within no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Ush1 wrote: »
    You'd be doing very well to get that for 50k. Talk to some builders, they won't look at jobs for less than 100k these days.

That's based on my own recent experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Would you get a house for €500k in Malahide though

You'd get a 3 bed house in Seabury.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

derekgine3 wrote: »
    Whoever suggested Hollystown is either trolling or is looking to sell their property.

The place is aesthetically pleasing for those not familiar with the area but with over 30% social housing and Tyyrellstown which is the worst area in Dublin imo literally right beside it. It's absolute day light robbery for the hard working person to purchase a property there, the place will be a cesspit within no time.

If you're going to describe a locality, at least be honest about. 30% social housing in Hollystown is not factual... a good number of estates are well established up there since the 90's... nearly 1000 houses have added only in recent times. Tyrrelstown, whilst it has its problems, it far, far from the worst place in Dublin and funny enough is a quieter place then it was 10 - 15 years. To say it's the worst area in Dublin is a complete exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Best bet would be "Old council houses" in areas now gentrified and owner-occupied.
    Some around Ballinteer, some around Dundrum/Windy Arbour and Dun Laoghaire
    Even large swathes of Kimmage are rapidly rising in bourgeois credentials while still not too dear, yet. Around Sundrive Rd, - it's practically Terenure.

You could buy half a street in Cherry Orchard, for that money; but it's a rough station; you probably don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Best bet would be "Old council houses" in areas now gentrified and owner-occupied.
    Some around Ballinteer, some around Dundrum/Windy Arbour and Dun Laoghaire
    Even large swathes of Kimmage are rapidly rising in bourgeois credentials while still not too dear, yet. Around Sundrive Rd, - it's practically Terenure.

You could buy half a street in Cherry Orchard, for that money; but it's a rough station; you probably don't want to.

Ah now nothing wrong with Sundrive Road but it's not so long since it was in the heart of Crumlin, you couldn't call it Terenure!

There are some grand solid houses in Walkinstown which is handy enough for town and the M50 and is very settled. You'd probably want to check out the local school situation carefully though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Molina wrote: »
    Malahide is gorgeous. What's the commute to town like?
    I took the train there once and it felt like quite a long journey, but I was used to living in the city center at the time, so might not have had a decent perspective.

Any information on some of the estates: Seabury? the Warren? etc...

You probably have answers to this but there's a train from Malahide village into town and Seabury has 2 buses that go into town. The commute isn't too bad. I know Seabury well, it's full of families and generally is a nice place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm biased as I'm born and bred there but I'll always recommend Walkinstown in such cases and it's good to see it get a couple of mentions in the last page. It's a really good area and not rough but is not a million miles from perceived rough areas on a few sides. It's so well connected for transport - things may have changed in the decade since I left but there were at least 7 bus routes into town - I've driven in on a quiet Sunday morning in no more than 15 mins. There's the Ballymount on-ramp for the M50 which is so well hidden there's (was) never any traffic. The Cromwellsfort side would probably see the more expensive houses but there are a few good ones around Thomas Moore, Stanford, Balfe (yes, all the good roads are named after poets!). For that budget, I would guess you could pick up something very decent and still have a lump left over for renovations.

I've just done a quick Daft search

Good road, nice finish, a smidge small maybe (although I've just noticed the monstrosity next door!) https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-89-thomas-moore-road-walkinstown-dublin-12/3212711

Just outside of Walkinstown but definitely not Terenure :confused: - https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-3-greentrees-road-terenure-perrystown-dublin-12/3203191

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wrex

The Gallops estate in Leopardstown ticks a lot of boxes for you, Personally i think Clay Farm is an awful layout, sole less and the way some of the houses are laid out, you car parking space is parallel to the front of your house, and your living room window over looks the inside of your car, shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

theteal wrote: »
    I'm biased as I'm born and bred there but I'll always recommend Walkinstown in such cases and it's good to see it get a couple of mentions in the last page. It's a really good area and not rough but is not a million miles from perceived rough areas on a few sides. It's so well connected for transport - things may have changed in the decade since I left but there were at least 7 bus routes into town - I've driven in on a quiet Sunday morning in no more than 15 mins. There's the Ballymount on-ramp for the M50 which is so well hidden there's (was) never any traffic. The Cromwellsfort side would probably see the more expensive houses but there are a few good ones around Thomas Moore, Stanford, Balfe (yes, all the good roads are named after poets!). For that budget, I would guess you could pick up something very decent and still have a lump left over for renovations.

I've just done a quick Daft search

Good road, nice finish, a smidge small maybe (although I've just noticed the monstrosity next door!) https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-89-thomas-moore-road-walkinstown-dublin-12/3212711

Just outside of Walkinstown but definitely not Terenure :confused: - https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-3-greentrees-road-terenure-perrystown-dublin-12/3203191

The second house you've added is lovely (probably can't afford it :-) What area is it? Perrystown? What would be good local schools for that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Hi,

We're a family of four moving to Dublin for work reasons. My husband and I have both lived in Dublin during college & in our twenties, but we're not very familiar with suburban neighbourhoods.

Our budget is €550,000 max. For that we'd need a new build or a house that was of a decent enough standard that you could move in and live in it for a few years before needing to invest in improving it. Realistically, we're probably looking at a second hand house for €500k.

Our wish list:
    * A safe area with no anti-social behaviour issues.
    * A minimum of three bedrooms, four would be brilliant, but we'd sacrifice a bedroom for a better location.
    * Near good primary and secondary schools. Educate Together or mixed primary ideally. A good co-ed secondary would be great, but not essential.
    * Decent garden (Enough space for the children to play and for us to sit out.)
    * Within walking distance of a park/ playground/ the sea
    * Within walking distance of good, reliable transport links. Would love to be 45 minutes or less (total journey) from the city.
    * Within walking distance of a shop for essentials & a coffee shop. We'll drive to the supermarket etc.

We're working in Citywest and North City Centre, but we both drive and won't have to go in every day, so that's not a huge consideration for us. Somewhere that was commutable from the City Centre, Citywest and Sandyford would be a bonus, but not essential.

There's very little available at the minute and I don't know Dublin well enough to distinguish somewhere that is too far out from somewhere further out but with decent transport links. I've been checking commute times, but don't think I can trust the times I'm getting at the moment, as I'm sure they'll change once more people are back on the road. I'm familiar with the luas lines and dart, but that's it for public transport. I've used the luas red line a bit (near the city) and have seen a few things that would make me want to avoid it, if possible, but maybe it's not so bad further out?

We've two young boys, so want somewhere that they would be safe walking home as teenagers. This is the most important issue for us - somewhere that they'll enjoy growing up, will make good friends and be safe.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated as we're a bit lost: so, where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550,000?

Lot of Building been going on the rathfarnham/knocklyon region - not sure what the exact prices are but you may find something in your budget.

Good area, decent public transpo and good schools.

The older area of D16/14 have a slightly higher price but the newer building along stocking av/lane are nice and have a bit of a country feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Wrex wrote: »
    The Gallops estate in Leopardstown ticks a lot of boxes for you, Personally i think Clay Farm is an awful layout, sole less and the way some of the houses are laid out, you car parking space is parallel to the front of your house, and your living room window over looks the inside of your car, shocking!

This is a great call.

Also agree on Clay Farm, wouldnt touch that with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This is a great call.

Also agree on Clay Farm, wouldnt touch that with a barge pole.

Does the gentle hum of a substation nor do it for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭derekgine3

I do. Question is do you? Because from the very little you've contributed you don't know much. Get up the yard with your 'Native Irish' ****e.

Well there you go, of course you'd talk the place up if you own property there.

I've had family in the area (who have now moved on, thank god) and they wouldn't recommend it to their worst enemy. I've visited the place dozens of times over the years and it's gotten worse (if that's possible). Born and raised in North Dublin not too far away from the place so i am well familiar with the kip.

It boils my blood seeing people recommend these areas to individuals looking for advice on what will likely be the most important financial decision of their lives and for 550k to top it all off. See it's very deceiving to those not in the know or familiar with these estates in Hollystown, they offer nice optics but with the 30% social housing and many economic migrants moved in akin to Tyrellstown a few years ago and also being so close to it, it's likely Hollystown will be a future ghetto like it's neighbour estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

ted1 wrote: »
    Does the gentle hum of a substation nor do it for you

Not for nearly 700k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Willington Crescent, Templeogue, Dublin 6W. Up on Daft. 3 Bed house beside schools, shops and a huge park. I actually have seen inside and you could just walk in.
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-42-willington-crescent-templeogue-dublin-6w/3204400

derekgine3 wrote: »
    Well there you go, of course you'd talk the place up if you own property there.

I've had family in the area (who have now moved on, thank god) and they wouldn't recommend it to their worst enemy. I've visited the place dozens of times over the years and it's gotten worse (if that's possible). Born and raised in North Dublin not too far away from the place so i am well familiar with the kip.

It boils my blood seeing people recommend these areas to individuals looking for advice on what will likely be the most important financial decision of their lives and for 550k to top it all off. See it's very deceiving to those not in the know or familiar with these estates in Hollystown, they offer nice optics but with the 30% social housing and many economic migrants moved in akin to Tyrellstown a few years ago and also being so close to it, it's likely Hollystown will be a future ghetto like it's neighbour estate.

You are absolutely talking through your arse. Presenting your opinion as fact based on the experience of a few family members. Referring to the 'Native Irish'... stating as fact that Tyrellstown is the WORST area in Dublin. You know nothing about the area, I mean you admitted you don't even live in the area so what would you know? If you care to educate yourself there's a whole thread about Tyrellstown on boards - https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058121162/1

And then you have the cheek to state that Hollystown will be a future ghetto... who knows where you pulled the '30% social housing' stat from... where's your evidence? Feel free to verify your claim by way of a link to an official document.

I certainly am not 'talking' up the area, but it boils my piss when people like you talk down an area knowing little about it. I am telling you what I see and I wouldn't be living around here if I had any concerns about my safety and that of my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I see or at least saw a few posts about Churchview. Lived just down on Johnstown for the last 26 years so have a fair idea of what the place is like. As other posters have mentioned Kilbogget park is grand from the Johnstown end as far as Cabinteely FC club house and even then it's not that bad.

You've got Meadowvale the other side leading down to Deansgrange as another form of park/pitches. It's again fine as far as Mcintosh Park (houses) but again most of these houses have been privately sold/bought in the last 10 - 15 years and it isn't nearly as rough as it used to be so a walk through Meadowvale at night is generally fine.

You're also not far away from lehaunstown or the lead mines or even Killiney hill if you're into a bit of walking/mountain biking.

In the form of schools, you have Johnstown boys and girls school for primary which is just off of Churchview. Secondary schools, you've got Clonkeen (boys only), Cabinteely community school (boys + girls), Rockford (girls only) and a few others in the vicinity.

Getting into town, depending on where along Churchview you're buying, you'll end up either driving or getting the bus. Most likely, if getting the bus you'll be heading down to the N11 and getting the 145/84x etc. Its a pretty crowded service and, depending on the time of day, you may end up with 2 or 3 buses not stopping at the cabinteely bus stop due to being full. The only saving grace is the buses come very frequently.

You can get the luas but it's a bit out of the way to be honest. You've got stops at Lehaustown, Carrick mines and Cherrywood. Lehaunstown would be the closest stop I reckon but there's no parking available.

Driving I'd say is almost worse. It's about 11km into town but can take anywhere between 20 minutes (around school holidays) to 1 hour. This is only likely to get worse in all honesty as there is planning in for a number of apartments just off of the Graduate roundabout. There's another apartment block finishing up on at the top of Johnstown Road. There's another planning application in for another apartment block just beside Deansgrange cemetry and there's a mixture of apartments and houses finishing up (Beechpark I think is the name of the development). As well as the above there's also Cherrywood which again will be a mixture of apartments and houses.

I'm not complaining about the above, I've since moved from the area, but I'm just trying to point out that traffic will likely increase within the area so it might be worth taking that into account. With it being 11km perhaps cycling might be an alternative but the stretch of road and specifically cycle track from UCD to RTE isn't great and then once you get into Donnybrook it's a bit of a free for all. The only saving grace is the traffic is very slow moving and there are generally a tonne of other cyclists.

In terms of shops, there's plenty. You've a host, or at least did before Covid, of take aways/cafes split between Killiney shopping centre, dalkey, cabinteely village and Deansgrange. Grocery shopping, you have Super value in killiney shopping centre and down in Deansgrange. A Lidl on Pottery road and in Deansgrange. Tesco in Ballybrack. Dunnes stores in Cournelscourt and an Aldi in Sallynoggin which isn't far.

All in all though it's a great place to live. 11km from the centre of town. 10 minutes from the sea and about 10 minutes from the Dublin mountains. Honestly, if I had the money I'd be moving back.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

I see or at least saw a few posts about Churchview.

Thanks so much for that. Really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The second house you've added is lovely (probably can't afford it :-) What area is it? Perrystown? What would be good local schools for that area?

It's the edge/junction of a few places tbh, Perrystown/Templeogue/Greenhills/Walkinstown but one thing it definitely is not, is Terenure. I know St. Pauls girls school is close, Templeogue college is not far either. Both would have good reputations. Apart from an invite to the St. Pauls debs and beating Templeogue quite heavily in a soccer match one year, I wouldn't know too much about them - I'm from the aforementioned poetic parts of Walkinstown a few mins away but I've been abroad for a decade now so I am lacking with up to date info.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

This is in Ballinteer, very close to Marlay park & within walking distance to Luas

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-33-llewellyn-court-rathfarnham-dublin-14/3210377

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KBH2020

Orchids wrote: »
    This is in Ballinteer, very close to Marlay park & within walking distance to Luas

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-33-llewellyn-court-rathfarnham-dublin-14/3210377

I saw this come up the other day and was wondering why it was so..."cheap" - for the area. A quick google and a look at some articles and photos explained it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

KBH2020 wrote: »
    I saw this come up the other day and was wondering why it was so..."cheap" - for the area. A quick google and a look at some articles and photos explained it :(

Oh god, that poor wee family. So so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

KBH2020 wrote: »

OMG didn't realise it was the actual house, thats so sad....

• Advertisement

<SNIP>

Mod Note

if you have an issue with a post, please report it.

Advertisement