Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KBH2020

Oh god, that poor wee family. So so sad.
    Orchids wrote: »
    OMG didn't realise it was the actual house, thats so sad....

I know :( absolutely tragic. I couldn't live there knowing what had happened.

I second any recommendations for Walkinstown/Perrystown, Dublin 12. I grew up here and it is extremely safe, great for commuting, schools are good, amenities are good etc. Rockfield Ave, Greentrees Road would be seen as the "posher" end and the houses are bigger. Loads of families and kids living in the area. At the moment the houses on the roads mentioned above are hitting 550k sale agreed price if they need work or around 550k + asking price if they are in great condition. You would look more into proper Walkinstown (nearer the roundabout) to get better value. Some of the houses wouldn't have as much curb appeal but same as above, its a great area, depends what your priorities are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-south/property-for-sale-in-sandyford?types=37|38

Just a specimen.

The "Blackthorn" one is in a super area - I know of at least two University lecturers living in this estate!
    (Just look at the cars in the driveways)
    A mere STEP to the Luas, and many good schools. A snip.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

Thanks for all of the feedback. We’ll take a drive around Malahide and D12 next week.

Does anyone know what Kilbarrack is like? Foxfield and the area between Greendale Road and Kilbarrack Road. What’s it like around the dart station in the evenings? Any opinions on North Bay ETNS? And on the area around the shops/ St. John the Evangelist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Molina wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Kilbarrack is like? Foxfield and the area between Greendale Road and Kilbarrack Road. What’s it like around the dart station in the evenings?

I like it, I live in the general area and walk there at nighttime, and have never seen any issues. If you're looking around that area, Binn Eadair View in Sutton is a nice place to live too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

tscul32 wrote: »
    You'd get a 3 bed house in Seabury.

Is Seabury....Talahide?

• Advertisement

I like it, I live in the general area and walk there at nighttime, and have never seen any issues. If you're looking around that area, Binn Eadair View in Sutton is a nice place to live too.

Kilbarrack is rough no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Kilbarrack is rough no?

Maybe higher up, past the dart lines. The part referred to is right by the coast road, very quiet area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Is Seabury....Talahide?

Lol what?

No council houses in Seabury. No houses cheaper than half a million or so either so you can work out the minimum earnings of anybody who lives there.

Lol what?

No council houses in Seabury. No houses cheaper than half a million or so either so you can work out the minimum earnings of anybody who lives there.

I heard somewhere in Malahide is referred to as Talahide, maybe it's Inbhir Ide then.

I heard somewhere in Malahide is referred to as Talahide, maybe it's Inbhir Ide then.

I live and work in Malahide and have never heard that myself! However Inbhir Ide is a former council estate (I think all privately owned now) and houses are smaller and generally a little cheaper than Seabury so maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

KBH2020 wrote: »
    I saw this come up the other day and was wondering why it was so..."cheap" - for the area. A quick google and a look at some articles and photos explained it :(

Awful :( assume the estate agent would have to disclose that information ?

Thanks for all of the feedback. We’ll take a drive around Malahide and D12 next week.

Does anyone know what Kilbarrack is like? Foxfield and the area between Greendale Road and Kilbarrack Road. What’s it like around the dart station in the evenings? Any opinions on North Bay ETNS? And on the area around the shops/ St. John the Evangelist?

Foxfield would be my area of choice if i had the money

I live and work in Malahide and have never heard that myself! However Inbhir Ide is a former council estate (I think all privately owned now) and houses are smaller and generally a little cheaper than Seabury so maybe.

I don't think there are any bad parts of Malahide myself and considered Seabury and Inbhir Ide myself

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=talahide&amp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Kilbarrack is grand in general but for 550k I'd want to be in one of the parts of Kilbarrack that you'd pretend are Raheny or Bayside. A road or two back from the coast will be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Home to live , south side, then south side and south side. The quality of life and the environment is best. For the price bracket around Dundrum , Churchtown, Goatstown. House that might need some work. Location location Location , you can never change the location of the house no matter what you do to it. Bye the location then the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Home to live , south side, then south side and south side. The quality of life and the environment is best. For the price bracket around Dundrum , Churchtown, Goatstown. House that might need some work. Location location Location , you can ever change the location of the house no matter what you do to it. Bye the location then the house.

I would add Walkenstown and Templogoue to that.

Home to live , south side, then south side and south side. The quality of life and the environment is best. For the price bracket around Dundrum , Churchtown, Goatstown. House that might need some work. Location location Location , you can ever change the location of the house no matter what you do to it. Bye the location then the house.

Having owned a house on the southside in ranelagh and then moved northside to malahide, I could not disagree more. There are so many more amenities up here, by the sea and with lots of green space, and the quality of life is infinitely better but for less money (housing wise). Those areas you've listed are concrete jungles of dated housing estates, full of traffic congestion, fumes and over-subscribed schools.

The claws are coming out now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Having owned a house on the southside in ranelagh and then moved northside to malahide, I could not disagree more. There are so many more amenities up here, by the sea and with lots of green space, and the quality of life is infinitely better but for less money (housing wise). Those areas you've listed are concrete jungles of dated housing estates, full of traffic congestion, fumes and over-subscribed schools.

In fairness, Malahide is lovely nothing like having the sea on your doorstep.

mariaalice wrote: »
    In fairness, Malahide is lovely nothing like having the sea on your doorstep.

I'm obviously a minority, but I never did really understand the love of the sea on your doorstep.

Coastal areas are often cooler and windier, especially during winter time, and at summer time, when you actually want to go and enjoy the beach, so does half the country, so you're beat in amongst loads and loads of people (and you also get the annual scumbag fares at most beaches around the place, too).

I can understand wanting to be near-ish to a beach or costal area with walks or views, but I'd still want to live far enough away that although it's accessible to me, I'm not actually right beside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm obviously a minority, but I never did really understand the love of the sea on your doorstep.

Coastal areas are often cooler and windier, especially during winter time, and at summer time, when you actually want to go and enjoy the beach, so does half the country, so you're beat in amongst loads and loads of people (and you also get the annual scumbag fares at most beaches around the place, too).

I can understand wanting to be near-ish to a beach or costal area with walks or views, but I'd still want to live far enough away that although it's accessible to me, I'm not actually right beside it.

I’d disagree with you. Love living by the sea. And when it’s busy the local end is still quiet.
    We get little frost or snow compared to other parts of Dublin.

+1 on traffic congestion on the south side

• Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The whole Northside Southside thing was put to bed a long long time ago. It's East or West Dublin now. The closer to the coast the better, doesn't matter what side of the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

:-) I probably would! I had ruled out Tempelogue because i knew a girl living there (near the Spawell) and she was always complaining about how long the bus took. The are itself looks nice.

Terenure is so large I'm not sure where to look and would have the same concerns about transport. Any areas you'd recommend?

Firhouse is too far out, I'd say. I knew a guy from there in college and he was always crashing on someone's couch. Maybe it's improved?

Templeogue and Terenure are very handy for getting to the city centre. Not sure what problem your friend had that wouldn't apply to anywhere a few km out of town, unless on the dart maybe.

Really don't understand this one . Maybe if you named Dalkey or something . Clontarf , killester , Raheny , Sutton , Portmarnock and Malahide would be a lot higher on my list if I had a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

theteal wrote: »

From the estate agents blurb
    'The location is second to none, ideally located within a mature setting and in very close proximity to a selection of well-established junior and senior schools such as Our Ladys School, Terenure College and St Pius X'

The address is outside St. Pius Parish so there's no chance of kids going to Our Lady's or St. Pius GNS/BNS.
    Estate agents are so deceiving about what schools are associated with specific addresses. The address isn't even in Kimmage Manor which is Criterion Three for admission.
    Yes - the schools are in proximity (1.5 miles - 2 miles away) but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭breeno

I live in place x so that means place x is the bestest.

Place y is stinky. Who would want to live there.

breeno wrote: »
    I live in place x so that means place x is the bestest.

Place y is stinky. Who would want to live there.

I understand that it's human nature . But when it comes to what side of a river you live on its weird

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m sure others could have got it down for half that price. Lots going for external insulation which costs 25k and has a payback period of 40 years.

Budget 500 to replace each rad, 2,500 for a boiler.
    900 per window. ( low U value double glazing )
    2k for a door.
    8k per bathroom
    Kitchen 5k+ Some people go crazy but realistically in 3 bed semi. A 45k kitchen doesn’t look any difference than a 5k.

It’s worth remembering that about 95% of people dint feel the need to renovate. A new kitchen. , bit of paint and new floors does wonders

Please forward the details of your kitchen supplier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Please forward the details of your kitchen supplier!

I paid roughly that from the Panelling centre.

Advertisement