Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you buy a family home in Dublin for €550k?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Walkinstown is grand. Don't think it fits the OP needs but It's certainly not Crumlin or what you are implying by 'deepest, darkest'. I don't live there nor from the area but know it reasonably well. It's very settled area generally. Don't know if I would buy a house there but I wouldn't make such a generalisation like that about the area or people from there.

I would and have made these generalisations - and for good reason. I know the place.
    And if you wouldn’t buy a place there why recommend it to someone looking for recommendations?

head explodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭KaneToad

What about this? It’s a three bed but the living space is decent.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-89-thomas-moore-road-walkinstown-dublin-12/3212711

I live in the area and it’s very settled and safe. There is a new educate together in Limekiln.

https://www.rvetns.ie/

Those camera lenses that the EAs use are really something else!

OP - Southside now - Daft - couple of houses in Glenageary and Bath Avenue 50k below your budget. Maybe for one or two the 50k could convert an attic for another room or add a small extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Walkinstown????????

Why not just suggest deepest darkest Crumlin?

The OP wants somewhere NICE, SAFE, and by the sea. ffs.

Emm I live in Walkinstown. My road is super quiet, most of my neighbours are elderly and when the houses sell they sell to families.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Walkinstown????????

Why not just suggest deepest darkest Crumlin?

The OP wants somewhere NICE, SAFE, and by the sea. ffs.
    By the sea was a wishlist.

I would feel safer in Walkinstown (or many parts of D. 12) than any of the "new" areas of D15 mentioned

I'm not going to talk down the schools as I don't know them. But very very settled and decent areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This thread is going for the record of having suggested every single area in Dublin

bilbot79 wrote: »
    This thread is going for the record of having suggested every single area in Dublin

despite the criteria of the OP!!!! Safe, nice, good area, good schools, half a million budget. Shame is half a million in this city could still see you spending 350k with a 100k renovation project & still be living in a ghetto or no go criminal gangland slum. This city has totally gone to the dogs. And the 10% rule has not helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Yep that’s part of the reason we are getting out of the city too, heading to Dun Laoghaire, off Patrick St. Nice quite area and super close to piers, sea & good transport links. Unfortunately I can’t really comment on the OPs post but buy the time we’re done building including the price of the site we’ll be somewhere near 500k .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Nozebleed wrote: »
    have a look at cairnbrook (private estate) in carrickmines,glenamuck road..lovely 3 bed gone up for sale there this week.

Stepaside and that side of the motorway are fine now but will be a disaster area when the kids are teenagers because there's due to be massive over development with little to no improvement in infrastructure. Glenamuck road is a traffic nightmare already by times.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

I would and have made these generalisations - and for good reason. I know the place.
    And if you wouldn’t buy a place there why recommend it to someone looking for recommendations?

head explodes.

So your poor head can't cope with some partial pieces of information? Bless.

No, you are talking through your hole. Walkinstown is grand. It's a regular area in Dublin. Certainly no worse than many places already talked about.

Also I didn't recommend it just pulled you up on ridiculous generalisation. I can have a personal preference for wherever I want or an opinion but it doesn't mean I would buy a house there. Stoneybatter, portobello, islandbridge, rathmines are all great places to live but I wouldn't buy a house these for personal reasons/circumstances.

Likewise, walkinstown doesn't suit or match my family housing needs but I like I said it's fine for lots of other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Main snag with the OP wishlist is that coastal is usually expensive. You could spend 5 million in Dalkey or Howth!

Lovely areas, and all that, but most of us ain't millionaires.

If its going to be on a family budget, compromises must be made.

That being said, I'd forgotten Glasthule. Worth checking out. Southside, on DART, by sea, good schools. Some properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Molina

Sorry, don’t think I was clear in my original post. House doesn’t have to be by the sea. Near a park or a decent playground would be enough. Basically we’d like an amenity within walking distance to bring the children.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

Hi OP,

I have been following this thread as we are in the same situation budget-wise, kids are grown however, so we were able to look a little further out, which we did, we went sale agreed last week 15km from our preferred location, we just couldn't find any value (and we looked at all the areas mentioned on the thread that appealed to us).

We traded down, so we wanted something with no work required at all and we're not commuting.

I don't think that Charlemont (Off Griffith Avenue) has been mentioned? I can't post the link but it's 163 Charlemont.

It nearly ticks all your boxes, the location is wonderful, every amenity on your doorstep, the box it probably won't tick is the size of the house, they're very small although this one has an extension, but it might be worth viewing.

Personally, and in knowing those houses and that area, I think 545k is overpriced, will it go for that - if the demand is there it might.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

I didn't read every post so not sure if it was mentioned but what about Palmerstown? It's a small enough area and the further ends of it may have elements of anti social behaviour, but generally it's grand. I'd happily walk about alone at night in the estates/roads close to the N4. You'd be looking at a house below your budget but would need modernising. This house is in an old estate with lots of old people dying and younger people moving in so lots of kids about - https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-49-glenmaroon-road-palmerstown-dublin-20/3202315

There's the lovely Waterstown park which has a playground, and either Aldi or Supervalu within walking distance. Phoenix park very close too. Loads of bus routes go by and with bus lanes the whole way you can reach O'Connell bridge in 15/20 mins sometimes. Decent primary schools and lots of secondary schools in nearby suburbs if the local one isn't your cup of tea. It's not got a village feel so much, but i think is really good value for what you get. I grew up in the area and would have bought there if my husband hadn't persuaded me to go closer to the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

That property (in the post above) is gone sale agreed at 415k (Auctioneera website).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

As another poster said Dublin 9 could be a good shout - for example this house - has off road car parking as well, walk straight in, top end of your budget though

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/163-charlemont-griffith-avenue-drumcondra-dublin-9/4500307

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

borus22222 wrote: »
    We had a smaller budget but had similar priorities. End up buying a place in Fairways Estate, Dublin 11. It's technically Finglas East but the location is great. Johnstown Park has a lot to offer. Glasnevin and Philsboro are very very close. Great schools and community feel.
    I lived there for a year & also on Griffith Parade for a year so know both locations. Definately the better side of Finglas. Went once to see a house in Finglas West, never got to see it, got out as quick as I could. At the back of Fairways its not great. I would still recommend either the previous poster said Charlemont or Marino both off Griffith Avenue

Just to echo some other recent posts, I would take a look at Walkinstown / Perrystown / Greenhills / parts of Crumlin, Drimnagh. You need to know the specific road, all are fine, but some might be nicer than others.

These are settled working class areas, nice neighbours (mostly) well developed for schools, shops, cafes ect and really excellent transport links. As somebody mentioned above, Ballymount M50 junction cuts off all the Red Cow traffic BS. You can easily drive Walkinstown to Citywest in 15 minutes or so off-peak. LUAS red line is easily reachable on foot. There are plenty of small parks in walking distance, or larger ones 10 minutes in the car tops. Plenty of supermarkets within walking distance as well.

* A safe area with no anti-social behaviour issues.
    * A minimum of three bedrooms, four would be brilliant, but we'd sacrifice a bedroom for a better location.
    * Near good primary and secondary schools. Educate Together or mixed primary ideally. A good co-ed secondary would be great, but not essential.
    * Decent garden (Enough space for the children to play and for us to sit out.)
    * Within walking distance of a park/ playground/ the sea
    * Within walking distance of good, reliable transport links. Would love to be 45 minutes or less (total journey) from the city.
    * Within walking distance of a shop for essentials & a coffee shop. We'll drive to the supermarket etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

There's a nice estate just off Griffith Avenue, not too far from Charlemont, called Griffith Court. The houses are much bigger for similar price.
    This one is sale agreed but a good estate to keep an eye on.
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/73-griffith-court-fairview-dublin-3/4482438

Advertisement