Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combo boxes

• 04-05-2021 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I have been asked to investigate a box that can get both Irish and English channels for my aunt after she found out that you dont have to pay sky for the luxury of being able to record tv.

Can someone tell me if there are drawbacks to something like this;

https://www.freetv.ie/combo-box/

I have a Humax 1100d and based on the description in the link, I am not sure what I paid 3 times the price for.

I know that you have to use an external HDD to record but are there other issues? Is there a 7 day guide etc

Would a Zgemma h7s be better for what my aunt would want? I know that they can have skins that look just like sky and that familiarity could be useful to her as she would need things kept basic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

She will expect both Saorview and Satellite channels to be on the one guide and channel list if she is coming from a Sky subscription.
    Will she want to record one Sat channel while watching another? ......... needs two Sat tuners.
    Will she want to record one Saorview channel while watching another? ... needs two Saorview tuners, but one will most likely be in the TV and can be used.

The H7S is a triple tuner model and with the addition of the TV tuner should cover all the recording combinations, except for recording two Saorview channels while watching a Satellite channel. (It could be done I guess with a USB drive/stick added to the TV.)
    The latest H7S has an easy fit rear slot for an SSD or 2.5" HDD ... but be aware that the height of HDD is restricted to 7mm.

It will take a little setting up, so you should make a complete backup to keep in case of mishap.

• Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Spocker

And to answer one of the other questions, Saorview is 7 days on the EPG, but Satellite channels will only be now+next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

7 day guide should be available for the satellite channels when using OpenATV or other Linux operating system on such as the Zgemma H7S.
    It will need to be set up by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

She will expect both Saorview and Satellite channels to be on the one guide and channel list if she is coming from a Sky subscription.
    Will she want to record one Sat channel while watching another? ......... needs two Sat tuners.
    Will she want to record one Saorview channel while watching another? ... needs two Saorview tuners, but one will most likely be in the TV and can be used.

The H7S is a triple tuner model and with the addition of the TV tuner should cover all the recording combinations, except for recording two Saorview channels while watching a Satellite channel. (It could be done I guess with a USB drive/stick added to the TV.)
    The latest H7S has an easy fit rear slot for an SSD or 2.5" HDD ... but be aware that the height of HDD is restricted to 7mm.

It will take a little setting up, so you should make a complete backup to keep in case of mishap.

I couldn't see my aunt wanting to record 2 Saorview channels at once so I wouldn't see that being major issue.

I know she has the old Sky + HD set up so I would need to get in to her house to see how many connections she has, but I think the interface being as close to what she is used to will be the main selling point for any box.

Advertisement