Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resource guarding puppy

• 04-05-2021 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi,I have a miniature wire haired dachshund who is now nearly 9 months old.

He is adorable in every way,super smart and obeys all commands, energetic loving and very affectionate,fully house trained, gets on great with my older dog and others we meet out and about. Food motivated! We call him Poppins as he's practically perfect in every way.........

Only one problem, and that is with what would be considered high value treats, eg a strip of dried duck fillet, or piece of chicken wrapped banana, or a bacon sizzler strip, that sort of thing. Absolutely fine with biscuity type bits.

He has his treats separately away from other dog, as he is 13 and a bit grumpy.

Now this came to light when I gave him a chewy type treat but was holding it for him, getting to the end bit I swapped hands as it was getting slippery, and he gr owled, raised lips and practically swallowed the remaining bit nipping my hand in the process. As an aside, no treats are ever given for free, always has to be worked for in some way.

So now I hold it till finished, he freezes, sometimes growls, I stroke him so he knows I will not take it away.If anyone approaches he will bare teeth and softly grwl but not move. I need help to sort this, looking online hasn't really come up with much.Does anyone here have any pointers please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Im a firm believer in the theory of just letting the dog have their food in peace, especially so when it comes to treats.

A treat is a reward ...once you decide he's earned it, let him have it. That increases the enjoyment no end, for both parties involved.

Also ...feeding dogs separately ...always a good idea in my book. Avoids so much potential conflict right from the start.

One exception to the rule.
    The dog gets trained on a command to give food back.
    That's for emergency use, like when they pick up something nasty during a walk, or you dropped something by accident that definitely isn't edible and/or good for the dog.

EDITED to add:

You said it yourself ...he's perfect in every other way.
    That's why I'm saying let him have his treats.

My answer would have been different if he were a problem dog...he doesn't seem to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

He obeys leave it with toys and rocks that he might pick up, and releases. I do not want to be growled at and have him stiffen over any food item that he has, if I happen to be sitting next to him, or if anyone approaches.

He is fine with his meals, just the extra delicious{to him} things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

dragona wrote: »
    I do not want to be growled at and have him stiffen over any food item that he has, if I happen to be sitting next to him, or if anyone approaches.

I see where you're coming from ...

Two possible solutions:

1) create a treat corner
    Some quiet out of the way place where he gets given his treat and where no one will disturb him.
    This also means that treats are not allowed to be carried outside this area (by him, after he got them)

2) long term reassurance
    If he does get tetchy when he has a treat and someone comes to close, make reassuring noises (It's alright, I don't want your treat) keep your distance and ignore him. That might work over time.

He seems to be such a good dog with everything else, it would be a pity to have to get confrontational with him over something that's supposed to be a reward.

Third solution:
    Give more treats :D
    That way they are no longer special...problem solved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Why are you holding the treat? Is it to stop him gulping it down? As you’ve seen it can work the opposite way where they think you’re going to take it back of them and they’ll eat it as quickly as possible. As suggested I’d leave him to it when he’s having a treat if he’s worried you’re going to take it away. I’d also start approaching at a safe distance he’s comfortable with and drop another treat down/throw one over to him and walk away.. .and I’d change the mindset of wanting him to release anything he has to a compromise of him swapping what he has for something else.

Advertisement