Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to feed a German Shepherd puppy?

• 04-05-2021 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello, I currently have my nearly five month old German Shepherd workline eating twice a day. I feed him red mills Red Mills Go Native Chicken with Potato and Broccoli. I'm wondering from peoples personal experience and opinion, is this a decent food for him at the price range its at? It's 12KG for 75 Euro.

Should I get him onto another food?

I'm currently topping up his food every second day with chicken and mince, both cooked.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Do you feel he's hungry op? I'd have him on 3 meals a day as he's still doing a lot of growing, and is burning up major calories by just doing that. I like to throw food into large breed dogs that are still going through that big growth spurt.
    That food you've him on seems pretty good, but whoa... pricey! Have you had a look on Zooplus for similar dry foods, such as Wolf of Wilderness, Purizon, Taste of the Wild, and more? If you buy in bulk (2 large bags) you'll generally get pretty good value. You'll certainly do better than you're doing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 20rIrish

Thank you very much for your reply. I actually thought it wasn't the higher end of food, middle of the road if anything. I only feed him the amount of 1.5 cups in the morning, .5 cup after the afternoon walk and 2 cups in the evening after another walk. He doesn't struggle to finish it but he is certainly full afterwards.

I'll check that website out much appreciated, the wallet will appreciate it more :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Congrats on getting a German Shepherd, they are truly fantastic.

Cans of fish such a mackeral/tuna/salmon or some eggs are good for their joints and coat etc. As a puppy I suppose you could get 2-3 days froma can so you don't have to worry about weight issues.

Our German Shepherd (adult) got lumps when feeding her the Go Native version and the Burns brand. The Red Mills Leader and now Barking heads agree with her. If your dog is ok on it, there would be no need to change.

Advertisement