Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodenticide Usage

Options
  • 05-05-2021 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am doing some research in relation to a college project. Would greatly appreciate it if you could answer any of the following questions:

1. What is your approximate annual expenditure on rodenticides & pesticides (and how large is your farm)?
    2. Are rodent infestations a regular concern on your farm?
    3. How would you feel about implementing a natural approach to rodent control (e.g. through attracting birds of prey (barn owls etc.) to your farm) and would you be willing to partake in a trial run which uses this natural approach?

I greatly appreciate your input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Usually use about one large bucket of rodenticide. It costs about 90-100 euro for 10kgs. Farm is 65 ISH acres.I finish 60-70 cattle per year

I would be slow to consider depending on wildlife. I have seen the build up of rats in a farm yard. You are looking at a situation where when they breed fast you could have 40-50 in the yard area in a short timeframe.

I have considered these new rat killers (A24) but cost is a huge prohibiting factor. I estimate I would need 6-8 to protect my farm yard

https://www.checkfrank.ie/goodnature-a24-automatic-rat-and-mouse-trap/2208162?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=adwords&dfw_tracker=39269-2208162&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImd3_laSy8AIV-IFQBh0XMgn0EAQYASABEgJ3RfD_BwE]

At 150-200/machine you are looking at a cost of 1-1.5k. I think to protect owls the department and the wildlife conservation bodies should come together to help us use them.instead of bait

If vat was reclaimable it would bring cost into the 8-1250 bracket. If it was grant aid on top it would bring cost down to 5-750 bracket.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Up to roughly 5 Cats here doing pest control.
    Don't notice vermin when they are about.
    Range of 250 odd euro a year on cat feed in lidl to feed them on the side.
    Receipt used in tax returns as expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Stopped using poison years ago after finding a dead owl 😞

Cats now and no rodent problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

I never used poison, was trapping with kill traps for a good few years and I found I caught a few birds by mistake, switched to live catch traps, still get the odd bird that can be safely released, rats get the bucket , and if it's picked up by a bird and eaten after no harm to it,

Only thing is if I was away for a day or two I do unset all the traps if they arnt going to be checked regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I never used poison, was trapping with kill traps for a good few years and I found I caught a few birds by mistake, switched to live catch traps, still get the odd bird that can be safely released, rats get the bucket , and if it's picked up by a bird and eaten after no harm to it,

Only thing is if I was away for a day or two I do unset all the traps if they arnt going to be checked regularly

What kinda traps are these Charolais?

I didnt use much poison, but this year, was over-run with rats. Had to use poison...

• Advertisement

What kinda traps are these Charolais?

I didnt use much poison, but this year, was over-run with rats. Had to use poison...

https://www.handyhardware.ie/Rentokil-Rat-Cage-Trap-FR28_p_63520.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwhMmEBhBwEiwAXwFoEahuLl1g-nJwj1LpCDy7l5kOFEeqXEswbaQtJ5xQRfNrmsHd-yycFBoC47wQAvD_BwE

That's the ones I have, didn't think I paid that much for them at the time tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Up to roughly 5 Cats here doing pest control.
    Don't notice vermin when they are about.
    Range of 250 odd euro a year on cat feed in lidl to feed them on the side.
    Receipt used in tax returns as expense

I do the same for the cat and dog at home. I even no put it up on the conveyer belt ahead of the shopping and pay for it with the farm card and keep the receipts separate. If I buy any tools I do the same

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

Don't use poison here either, too many buzzards and kites around in case of secondary poisoning. I use live traps similar to what was posted, I think I caught around 40-50 rats over the winter. I usually dump them in the same spot and usually after a couple of days something has taken them away.

I keep the yard as clean as possible which helps but the field of wild bird cover beside it does not. I have been meaning to put up an owl box so I might knock one up when I get the chance and I will definitely be claiming for cat food as a farm expense henceforth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Seeing a good few around, are the traps dangerous with kids around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Have not used poison in years. I hate the stuff. It's great at killing vermin but it's the damage it does after it kills the rat or mouse. Also seen a dead owl which used to perch on a tree nearby. Since then no poison has been laid. Have a stray cat that sleep in the straw bales. I only use a small bags of cattle and sheep meal. They are all stored in barrels with kids so no big rodent problem. The cat gets a small bit of cat for a couple of times a week to keep it around the place. It's very satisfying when it leaves you a present at the door. A small mouse there this eve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Seeing a good few around, are the traps dangerous with kids around
    The cage ones I have wouldn't be, it's a little plate at one end connected to a bar that holds the cage door up. Any pressure on the plate and the door slides shut, there's no springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Haven't used any for 20 years - as well as protecting local wildlife like Owls etc., I had a bad experience with poisoned rats dying in wall cavities and stinking the place out for months on end along with a bluebottle infestation:(, never again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Took me a long time to realise poisoning doesn't stop at the dead rat or mouse, 2 cats here with bells on, I find rodents dont like to make a home near the cats so they're doing the job, I dont mind rats or mice but they're not welcome around the yard or sheds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

What little treat do you hang inside to encourage entry?i had one of them here beside laided posion all winter in the hope of catching something. Not a bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,556 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

_Brian wrote: »
    Stopped using poison years ago after finding a dead owl 😞

Cats now and no rodent problems at all.

Cats kill a lot of wild birds as well!

Cats kill a lot of wild birds as well!

Some do alright - but it tends to be the commoner garden species near houses, whereas the likes of BarnOwls are much rarer, so any loss from the likes of secondary poisoning is of much more signficance for the overall population of that species.

ruwithme wrote: »
    What little treat do you hang inside to encourage entry?i had one of them here beside laided posion all winter in the hope of catching something. Not a bite.

I dont really use anything preticular, what ever has gone state in the press, old lump of cheese or biscuits, peanut butter works well tho, I just leave them somewhere I've seen there travelling, one place I've never caught many for some reason is along the feed bins?

I have a few guinne fowl around the place and there supposed to be a deterrent, they apparently kill rats or mice, never seen or found one from.them tho

Some people say rasher works well, ive never tried tho

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Haven't used any for 20 years - as well as protecting local wildlife like Owls etc., I had a bad experience with poisoned rats dying in wall cavities and stinking the place out for months on end along with a bluebottle infestation:(, never again!!

Have had this too, a lump of charcoal is supposed to capture the smell.

No rat bait laid on the farm here for years, maize silage used to be a disaster for rats when we had it. Barn owl and foxes taking care of them now. Bait box in the yard is just for bordbia:rolleyes:.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Danimal

Rodent infestations are problem for me and am trying to find ways to deal without chemicals so I would like to know if barn owls can help with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Braindebear

Rodents can be a problem for us, would look to change from poison. Costs are hefty and saw a few dead birds over the years. Would look to other methods if it suited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DaFitzy

My nephew has mentioned to me about how using poisons is bad for birds and animals in the area, on my mind whenever I use them now. If there was an alternative I'd definitely give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

blue5000 wrote: »
    Have had this too, a lump of charcoal is supposed to capture the smell.

No rat bait laid on the farm here for years, maize silage used to be a disaster for rats when we had it. Barn owl and foxes taking care of them now. Bait box in the yard is just for bordbia:rolleyes:.

Yep Foxes are great Rat killers, loads of videos of them online killing Rats, also Stoats deserve a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We used to depend on neighbours cats to control vermin and then a Bord Bia inspector specified either use rat poison or worm dose the cats . so we put down the poison. Don't know if it was the poison or what but the cats died
    Anyway our neighbour said that we must be doing something right with all the little birds around, some of the robins even talk to him in the garden, he goes in for minding nature and thinks he's an expert.
    Any way I said to him that the cats being gone were the reason for all the little birds around.he didn't like that, I often saw his cats devouring the birds eggs , they'd clear a farm so they would.

They have cats again and teh little birds are gone

Australia has a massive cat problem that's put a clatter of wild animals to extinction, I think cats were estimated to kill 1.5/1.6 billion wild animals a year, can't remember exactly the figure but it was staggering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Australia has a massive cat problem that's put a clatter of wild animals to extinction, I think cats were estimated to kill 1.5/1.6 billion wild animals a year, can't remember exactly the figure but it was staggering

Rural east Australia has a massive mouse problem atm.
    Them cats could be on the payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

wrangler wrote: »
    We used to depend on neighbours cats to control vermin and then a Bord Bia inspector specified either use rat poison or worm dose the cats . so we put down the poison. Don't know if it was the poison or what but the cats died
    Anyway our neighbour said that we must be doing something right with all the little birds around, some of the robins even talk to him in the garden, he goes in for minding nature and thinks he's an expert.
    Any way I said to him that the cats being gone were the reason for all the little birds around.he didn't like that, I often saw his cats devouring the birds eggs , they'd clear a farm so they would.

They have cats again and teh little birds are gone

You can blame cats for some of the bird loss but we as farmers have a lot to answer for, taking natural habitat that existed 30 to 40 years ago and turning it into grazing whilst replacing nothing and cutting back hedges and new growth with a vengeance even on internal bounds of land which makes no sense to me
    Repeated failed initiatives from the EU has us where we see today, it's a bit hypocritical to blame cats now when we have access to poison which widespread use for years has killed raptors and predators.
    Cats have been with humankind for thousands of years but it's only recently the wildlife populations have been dying out in Ireland, this is a loss of habitat problem rather than a feline one, neutering cats will help improve the situation but not if wildlife has nowhere to live

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You can blame cats for some of the bird loss but we as farmers have a lot to answer for, taking natural habitat that existed 30 to 40 years ago and turning it into grazing whilst replacing nothing and cutting back hedges and new growth with a vengeance even on internal bounds of land which makes no sense to me
    Repeated failed initiatives from the EU has us where we see today, it's a bit hypocritical to blame cats now when we have access to poison which widespread use for years has killed raptors and predators.
    Cats have been with humankind for thousands of years but it's only recently the wildlife populations have been dying out in Ireland, this is a loss of habitat problem rather than a feline one, neutering cats will help improve the situation but not if wildlife has nowhere to live

Well the cats clear the hedges here, just after seeing my dog picking up a dead premature chick in the yard and throwing it down in the grass an rolling on it same as she does in fox ****e, the cats are hunting the hedges now full time, they love the eggs, these people could have up to 20 cats
    We live in a peninsula bounded by motorway fencing here with a road on three sides and our fox doesn't take lambs if we leave the dead ones out for him sothe disappearance of the birds is as noticeable as the appearance of them for a few years

It all depends if cats or their Wild relatives were ever native to a region - in Scotland they have the native Wild Cat which is likely to have existed here too in the past, along with the likes of Lynx etc. Therefore bird populations would have evolved naturally to deal with such predation. The problem in Australia is that cats(of any sort) were never native there and only appeared when Europeans arrived about 200 years ago. Therefore native mammals and birds were simply not adapted to deal with them hence the carnage since(and its not just cats - foxes,rats, stoats etc have all done as much damage there and NZ as they too were introduced by White settlers)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I have two remote places on the farm I dump spilled grain or floor sweepings from around the grain dryer . This is to encourage rats that are not going to be poisoned . There would be several rat burrows near these dumps
    These Rats provide feed for the Buzzards and owls . I have been doing this for a few years and there are fewer rats around the yard because we have more predators hunting them . We keep the yard fairly clean and would have used several buckets of poison each winter . We have bait points around the yard and the outer most ones are eaten first and generally the inner ones are seldom touched . The rats always follow the same route into the yard .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    I have two remote places on the farm I dump spilled grain or floor sweepings from around the grain dryer . This is to encourage rats that are not going to be poisoned . There would be several rat burrows near these dumps
    These Rats provide feed for the Buzzards and owls . I have been doing this for a few years and there are fewer rats around the yard because we have more predators hunting them . We keep the yard fairly clean and would have used several buckets of poison each winter . We have bait points around the yard and the outer most ones are eaten first and generally the inner ones are seldom touched . The rats always follow the same route into the yard .

That’s seems to be a pretty good idea in fairness. I think if you try and depend on cats and predators alone you would literally be overwhelmed by rats in a matter of months. All I have here is a henhouse and about 1 acre beside a long term maize field. Always one or two feral cats about and would never see a winter without rat activity. This is in a place with very little hiding places or natural cover for rats. It’s fair to see that any farm provides a perfect habitat for rats even if you never actually see them.

Advertisement