Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pawsome Beagle with Paw Problems

• 05-05-2021 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

(forgive the pawsome pun).

Hi folks,

We have had a Pocket Beagle for about a year, great dog, very energetic, barks and yowls, well loved. He is 13kg, and 1yr and 2 months old.

About six weeks ago he developed a lameness in a rear leg, it was quiet bad, particularly after he has being lying down for a while. So we took him to the vet, who X-Ray'ed him and prescribed anti-inflammatory.

The vet said there was nothing obvious on the X-Ray, but there was new bone growth in the hind legs which was unexpected, and there was a bone chip in the leg giving trouble. He improved with the anti-inflammatories, but as soon as the course was done he developed a really nasty lameness in a front paw.

We had already curtained walks to around 2km morning and evening with the first problem, at this point we stopped walks altogether. Prior to all this - we would have walked him 4km morning and evening, as he has an abundance of energy to burn over the course of the day.

With time, and care the front paw issue passed, but now the rear paw issue has returned with a vengeance - he is honestly like a new-born fawn getting up, slipping and staggering around on his legs and is now very reluctant to get up.

The Vet wants to do physio on Friday, and raised the possibility of a CAT scan in the future. Which has left me scratching my head a bit, and wondering if we did something wrong here or if others have had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Your post is a bit unclear - did they spot that he's chipped a bone? If so I would have thought they'd remove it before doing anything else - DBB has experience of this so might be able to advise if that's the case?

For the front/rear combo - yes this is normal in my experience... so if say the back left was sore he'll lean forward to try and take the weight off and lean on the front right and he could get sore. My guy has arthritis in his left wrist as a result of leaning off his rear right.

For exercise - 2km is too much imo if he's injured. You need to look into other ways to use up his energy if you're going to be trying to rehab an injury - so training, scent work in the house, brain games etc to wear him out mentally. They're very good at hiding their pain so you may not realise he's overdoing it.

If he's slipping I'd look at putting some mats down to help him while he's recovering? It could just be a muscle strain/tear which physio and time will help with. Bailey gets laser and acupuncture and they make a HUGE difference with his pain management and comfort. He has a few things going on but he tore his ililopsas a few years ago and would have been on 3 legs and like Bambi but rest and physio helped it heal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭MDR

tk123 wrote: »
    Your post is a bit unclear - did they spot that he's chipped a bone? If so I would have thought they'd remove it before doing anything else - DBB has experience of this so might be able to advise if that's the case?

The Vet wasn't sure - he said the fragment was too small to find with surgery, so thought best to leave it alone.
    For the front/rear combo - yes this is normal in my experience... so if say the back left was sore he'll lean forward to try and take the weight off and lean on the front right and he could get sore. My guy has arthritis in his left wrist as a result of leaning off his rear right.

Makes sense
    For exercise - 2km is too much imo if he's injured. You need to look into other ways to use up his energy if you're going to be trying to rehab an injury - so training, scent work in the house, brain games etc to wear him out mentally. They're very good at hiding their pain so you may not realise he's overdoing it.

If he's slipping I'd look at putting some mats down to help him while he's recovering? It could just be a muscle strain/tear which physio and time will help with. Bailey gets laser and acupuncture and they make a HUGE difference with his pain management and comfort. He has a few things going on but he tore his ililopsas a few years ago and would have been on 3 legs and like Bambi but rest and physio helped it heal.

Understood, thanks for the tips.

Advertisement