Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whiskey boxes are trending at the moment. Big discussion about it on twitter.

Personally, I think whiskey boxes/tubes are completely pointless. Obviously people want them but that changes nothing for me. As far as I am concerned they just needlessly add cost and packaging to the product while adding zero practical value.

But then, I don't understand whiskey collectors either.

So I applaud Dingle for their stance. It's a start.

Some distilleries are ditching boxes for a lot of products while keeping them for more premium products. I like that this reduces the number of boxes but it does reenforce the idea that premium = boxes.

I realise my opinions are probably not very popular amongst most here, but there you go.

Fcuk supflurous packaging!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Maybe a screw cap and a yellow label is the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Re: boxes

Especially if buying in airport handy to have extra protection. Or bringing as a gift - you'd likely end up buying a bottle gift bag.

And some of them do add 'something' to the experience.

Hit and miss.

But yeah, sometimes they are straight into the bin.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I always recall being in the goods in area of a big Scottish bar/club. Case after case of single malts were being removed from their tubes and the tubes were chucked straight into a big industrial waste bin. The experience changed my view of spirit packaging for ever!

Is this the level of debate we are going to have?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't mind Dingle, I think they're good at what they do, but for me the bigger issue with that 10 is the price point as a whole, not the lack of hard or collectible packaging.

I tend to keep tubes for travelling, then chuck them. I agree with the school of thought that for waste reduction reasons it's progressive to move to bottle only.

I can understand the collector crowd might rather retain tubes, boxes or tins as a normal, but as a drinker, I really don't care.

You can still have a nice label and bottle design.

Maybe the answer is to have an optional add on cost, +20 euro for the tin, or whatever.

I've had some absurdly fancy wooden frames and boxes that were nearly cabinets, from the likes of Teeling. Imagine those would add a pretty penny!

"Maybe the answer is to have an optional add on cost, +20 euro for the tin, or whatever."

This, I could get on board with. I don't want to pay for the box and it's naive to think that it's just included in the price. You are paying for it.

The cost of the box becomes part of the cost price, so the distillery adds its margin. Then the distributor adds their margin. Then the retailer adds their margin. Then there's VAT. A cheap to produce box becomes a considerable price to the consumer very quickly.

So the idea that a €200 bottle should just come with a box is naive. The €200 bottle will just cost more with a box, no question.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well as we're discussing Dingle, their most recent release was "lunasa" (delicious btw) and it's €85 on their own website, and €85 RRP too.

So same standard price across the board.

And the boxing of these seasonal releases is a piece of art. Nothing else like it around. (I have no connection or affiliation with Dingle distillery btw)

Completely appreciate how the boxing means nothing (or less than that) for some whiskey lovers. But for me it's definitely a small part of a lovely experience that I'm grateful for.

And I would also be 100% in favour of paying a little extra for a boxing option. (the Celtic Cask releases are the only ones I've seen do this)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

And on the 10 year old, (an cead deich) that's not a Dingle "release". That's a founding father cask. Obviously it's made by them, but the founding father investor would have dictated some aspects of the end product.

Have no idea about how distribution and pricing works though, but investor would have some say there.

• Advertisement

A box doesnt have to be an elaborate cupboard size difficult to open cryptex.

A simple sleeve like Waterford use of recyclable cardboard is perfectly fine, and they often use generic ones.

If i was buying the whiskey as a gift then at that price i wouldn't touch anything that was bottle only.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

When Middleton changed their box packaging from wood to cardboard.. I believe the decision was for environmental, recyclable reasons which is all very commendable.. the obvious savings in the manufacture of this cheaper packaging was not passed on to the consumer in the retail price.

As a lot of the more expensive whisk(e)ys' are purchased as gifts, prizes etc., a presentation box is always a welcome addition. Would it be too much of a logistical nightmare to offer the customer the option of boxed or unboxed (with a small saving on the unboxed) ?

How do you know that the new box costs IDL less, especially considering the development costs?

I don't know.

Got to taste and subsequently buy a rye from Silent Pool in Surrey. It's a blend of a New Jersey rye and their own rye (which seems an odd thing to do). Anyway, we liked it so coughed up the rather pricey £65 (no box 😜) for a 3yo rye. (it's amazing what a free distillery tour will do 😉) Will explore it properly when I'm back here at Christmas.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

On the idea of boxed whiskies as gifts (which is the universal reason given for boxes) : if someone gifted me a nice bottle of whisky that I liked, I couldn't give a fiddlers if it's in a box or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

Opened a Connemara single malt

but it has this medicinal smell / taste

can’t stomach it at all

actually smells sicklY

why is this

It is peated so thats the phenols. Some people describe it as TCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

Ok thanks

have a Bottle of string highland Scottish malt aswell and it it has the tcp medical smell too

can’t stomach it at all

and I love any other whiskey or whisky

bith Irish and scotch

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

Just to add on about the boxes, i like them for the practical reasons, i buy whiskey in tubes/boxes but dont get to drink them straight away, so they get stored upstairs in a room on a shelf. Its a south facing room so gets alot of sunshine and the boxes/tubes do protect them. I know the first thing people will say is put them in a dark press, but that isnt an option, hence the boxes are a practicality, rather than aesthetic use!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Midleton birdhouse email received and has a link to buy the new tawny port edition. Just bought, though I admit it was FOMO that drove me to close to purchase. Free shipping tipped me over the edge..

• Advertisement

Sold out now again...

Does it come in a box ... asking for a friend :)

While that is reasonable, it could lead to the argument that all alcohol products from beer, wine to whiskey at any price point should be in opaque boxes to protect from uv light.

On the other hand, a simple paper wrapping on bottles would protect just as well but I suspect that this would not satisfy you, or would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Wine goes in the cellar, beer into the fridge. So not a like for like comparison

They increased the price (100!) But blue spot is in stock

https://mitchellandson.com/products/blue-spot-irish-whiskey?_pos=1&_sid=8e17437a0&_ss=r

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have one of each of the Spots (apart from the really expensive single cask editions) but I think my personal whiskey phase might be slowing to a stop soon. Maybe just the John's Lane cask strength and the Dingle and Thomond Gate releases for the next year or two. Prices going up across the board being one good reason, of course.

Yes, suspect you're not alone. The creeping prices are going to be a deterrent for many. I'm planning to work through what I have, but did grab several extras when redbreast12 went to 55 euro a couple of times. I have a yellow spot open and can't see myself replacing it once they hit 100, which I think will happen given Mitchell are now charging 140 for red spot ..

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

It improves massively as you move through it from my experience.

Yes, because everyone has a cellar and no one ever keeps beer out of the fridge prior to chilling.

If people want boxes just because they want them, that's fine. But I don't buy the "practical" argument. A cheap bottle would degrade just as quickly as an expensive one. And you didn't address the argument that a dark paper wrap would protect as well as any box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Had a couple of nice, though not new, ones over the weekend

MVR2023 - so surprises, smooth as silk and very nice. For me, though, it's a little safe. Undeniably an excellent whiskey, but it doesn't excite me that much. Still, nice to get a miniature as a present 😋

Dark Silkie Cask Strength - I bought a bottle of this after receiving a dram in the secret santa here and I know I've mentioned it a couple of times now. My favourite whisky on the go at the moment, though, it's such a nice flavour. Toffee, raisins, bit of Christmas pudding, some smoke but not overpowering. It's just really, really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

So i didnt make that fridge/cellar argument, and im only replying now, but yes, a paper wrap would suffice, in fact, i got a bottle of the "bottle your own" from Slane distillery, and it was wrapped in a black paper wrap, and it was perfect, i still have it, the paper is gone slightly greyer, but its doing its job, perfectly happy with that!

Advertisement