Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Lovely post above!

Wrapping presents tonight...

Last one having an early night!

This is 46% Smokehead. It must be Lagavulin tastes very like it anyway. Thay kinda black tea mixed with sherry and smoke

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't think there's a widely known answer to this. I've heard guesses from Ardbeg, Caol Ila to Lagavulin!

When I tried Smokehead I'd be lying if I said I would be in a position to make an educated guess, but if you made me put my money where my mouth is, I would guess that, based on the business model, Caol Ila seems plausible to me.

If you google it, there are people really claiming Ardbeg, though.

Aye I see people claiming it could be either of the three but possibly Caol Isla or Lagavulin. I know Caol Isla have the facilities to provide for larger independent bottle releases but I've only ever had the Caol Isla 12 and the Unpeated 18. Never had a sherry based one so can't comment but I definitely thought it was very like Lagavulin as opposed to Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

I had the port askaig 8 which is definitely caol ila and i liked it a lot. Not as aggressive to me as ardbeg or laphroaig but still very aggressive. Haven't had their own 12 so can't say if the independent was better than the core

• Registered Users Posts: 6 samwise94

Which is the better of the 2 main green spot wine releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

Between the montelena and the leoville I thought the leoville was better but I'm splitting hairs. They're very similar. I thought the montelena was a bit sweeter and the leoville was a bit more rounded. But if I tried them blind I don't know if I could spot the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Cracked open a 16yr Red Breast Single Cask Olorosso Sherry last night. It's a stunner, cask strength - but dangerously easy to drink. Will really enjoy a few nice sips of this over the next week or so.

Merry Christmas folks. Hope yous are all having lovely dreams tonight. I'm testing these to make sure they're ok for Santa to keep him warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Nice Japanese one for Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

What a nice present from my eldest daughter. Dunno where she got them from but said she chose randomly. She said she'd include one scotch and her friend chose The Whistler because she liked the bottle! Happy Christmas to all... Sláinte!

What a class gift! You must be very proud!

Just opened this. It really is a great example of a proper pot still....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Nice nightcap!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭DeniG2

Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FranktheTank

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Drank a lot of good bordeaux and tawny port over the past week...

My Powers John's Lane Cask Strength remains unopened. That was my present to myself.

I did have a Glenallachie 12 on the 24th.

On a whim, got a bottle of Talisker Skye. It was 27GBP, and it's been about 9 years since I did a tasting of all the Talisker NASs.. That was in the distillery.

Unlike Storm, or Port Ruighe, Skye has always struggled to easily distinguish itself from the 10. Same ABV, same finish... A slightly greater use of toasted barrels is one of the only generally discussed differences, along with it being chill filtered.

So Skye has always been the red haired step child of the line, and if I've read one whisky review claiming it is "rounder" and "more accessible" than the 10, then I've read 50.

The 10 used to be an iconic briny pirate of a whisky, so maybe it was true, a decade ago, that Skye was disappointing.

Now? Well, if I compare this Skye to the last "orange label" edition of 10 I had, I would actually say I prefer the Skye. It reminds me of the 10 of old. Ironic, really, but there you go.

I've read one argument that they reformulated the 10 - for the worse - but left the NASs alone. That would potentially explain it.

45% abv, plenty of phenols, very saline... For 27GBP in Tesco NI, feels like a bargain.

Didn't come across as peated to me, I couldn't detect it anyway.

Had these side by side last night. The Maclean's Nose is very decent for the price, very briney and fruity which works well surprisingly, but the AD is fantastic, wasn't gone on it at the start tasted more like higher proof Ardmore but as the bottles gone down it's a lot more spicy and coastal.

Also opened my first Craigallachie 13 last night. Far too easy to drink and I really got the 'meaty' character they were on about on the label. Lovely stuff.

On black sheep's comment above, I got a couple of those Talisker Skyes stashed away when they were reduced to £20. Shocked that they would be considered better than the new version of Talisker 10 tbh and it's now put me off buying Talisker 10 for a while!!! I always seen the Skye as a kinda weekday sipper that you wouldn't mind getting through

• Advertisement

I will have to get another "orange label" 10 eventually, to try again, but there is a general consensus that something has gone amiss. I'm sure they will correct it in course, as the feedback seems across the board that previous editions were preferred.

It's still not a bad whisky, objectively. But yeah, I am enjoying this Skye more than I did the last 10 I had.

Price wise there was never much between them from what I remember. They both also rotate into the club card sales.

Jim Murray is a big fan of Skye, oddly.

I think a lot of the youtuber / infleuncer reviews of it are very wide of the mark, it's like they all just copy each other.

Picked up a bottle of Aberlour 12 in a local French supermarket for €31.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭adaminho

I finished at 9 last night and had a couple of lads that come in when they're back for Christmas. They always ask for recommendations so when they heard I was off they proceeded to include me in the round. We started with Power's Rye then Middleton 2021, Redbreast 27, Teeling's chestnut px and finished with John's lane cask strength! I'm paying for it today!

A great tour of Ardara Distillers once again.

Consistently impressed by their operation. Everything from the energy efficiency of the distillery, its design and cleanliness, to their plans for how it will integrate with the local village, in terms of what is agreed with publicans and cafe owners, regarding working together.

One of the founders, James, was on hand, and gave some really interesting insights into what the future holds.

They continue to source products from Great Northern, for the Silkie range, and I tried a fascinating grain (maize) whisky that is one of the components they buy, that was astonishingly drinkable at 67% abv. Very sweet and mellow, you "could" drink it by itself.

Tasted their own single malt at one year. Showing great promise. I gather they will push hard to bring to the market in 2025, but the product will have to be right, before they commit.

I did politely ask about pricing, since we discussed it here before, and it appears the pricing will be in the middle upper range, in Waterford / Dingle territory. It will not be at the lower end, Teeling / Ferncullen. A variety of factors in play there: As suspected, they have significant costs to manage, and more coming down the tracks, and then some of it is brand strategy and a belief in the quality of what they're going to sell.

When Ardara releases, it will be the peatiest Irish whisky on the market, by a significant margin, the PPM they are working with for the core range is around 50. It will be comparable to Laphroaig levels. The first release will be bourbon and sherry finished. Later they'll play with other options.

I'm told the Kilcar release had an even higher PPM (Towards 100 PPM)!

Below, the 1 year old.

Came away with a very drinkable Red Silkie finished in Pomerol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Love that write up Black Sheep!

My dad's from the other end of Donegal so I never really pass that way but I'd love to go. I really like the Silkie range and can't wait for their own to release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Got a bottle of Achill Island CS as a present, didn't realise it was distilled on Achill, looking forward to tasting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Arent they formerly 'Irish American' ?Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Iirc if it is labelled Achill it is their own whiskey. Irish American they use for their sourced output.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think they bought a brewery premises that went under. I could be mixing them up with someone else.

Anyway, they do distillery tours. A few friends went to visit it during the summer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the write up and the insider updates! I met James and his wife at the Kinmegar Brewery Christmas Market and they were very nice. I tasted that pomerol silkie you bought (was lovely) and got myself another bottle of the Midnight Silkie. I asked them about their own spirit and they were genuinely enthused that I was asking about and wished they brought some to taste so I must get down there. Excited to hear it's so heavily peated!

In other Donegal Distillery news, one of the owners of Crolly Distillery runs a restaurant in Letterkenny and they make a cocktail with new make or at least young spirit from Crolly that my wife tried one night she was out and loved it. I wonder would it be cheeky to ask for a taste of it at the restaurant hah! 😀 I did get a few Crolly Glasses from there.

Again, in the interests of disclosure, compared to Silkie I think the Crolly Sourced whiskies are at least 20-25 quid overpriced but I am excited to try their pot still.

Really need to get over to visit both distilleries! Here's a pic from the Christmas market.

Advertisement