Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cazale wrote: »

The pack for this arrived this morning. Four samples, a 71ml bottle of Powers, a hot whiskey glass, a tasting glass and a Powers branded bag. Looking forward to it m

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Púca is nice. Bit of a kick off it, nice sweet finish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Nal wrote: »
    Púca is nice. Bit of a kick off it, nice sweet finish too.

Thought I could taste the rum cask coming through nicely

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Thought I could taste the rum cask coming through nicely

Yeah defo. And the stout. Which I probably wouldnt have noticed had I not had the Jameson stout one. Puca a winner for 25 quid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Some Indian peated malt tonight from Paul John. Demerara sugar sweetness gives way to hickory barbeque smoke. Lovely balance of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Some Indian peated malt tonight from Paul John. Demerara sugar sweetness gives way to hickory barbeque smoke. Lovely balance of the two.

Brilliant whiskey, one of my favorites. That and the Kanya. Had a bottle, gone now, hard to get here. Big hits of liquorice if I recall correctly. Subtlety current to the rest of the range I thought.

There's a tasting coming up with cws, Shilton Almedia from the brand is great craic.

A little blending experiment tonight. Might be blasphemous to some :D I've mixed 2/3 Redbreast 12 Cask strength with 1/3 Ardbeg Uigeadail. A peated pot still sherry monster. Spice from the pot still, dark fruits, christmas cake and barbeque smoke. Nice bit of heat from the two cask strengths. I think I'm in love lads!

arodabomb wrote:
    There's a tasting coming up with cws, Shilton Almedia from the brand is great craic.

Did a Paul John tasting with L Mulligans and Shilton last year. Didn't know what to expect but was very pleasantly surprised. Some great whiskeys including the Kanya.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

A little blending experiment tonight. Might be blasphemous to some :D I've mixed 2/3 Redbreast 12 Cask strength with 1/3 Ardbeg Uigeadail. A peated pot still sherry monster. Spice from the pot still, dark fruits, christmas cake and barbeque smoke. Nice bit of heat from the two cask strengths. I think I'm in love lads!

A tasty mix, I’d say. No pitchforks at the ready here! I’m a big fan of Redbreast with Talisker. Love the spike of peat in the sherry.

arodabomb wrote: »
    Brilliant whiskey, one of my favorites. That and the Kanya. Had a bottle, gone now, hard to get here. Big hits of liquorice if I recall correctly. Subtlety current to the rest of the range I thought.

That tasting completely escaped my notice. Just signed up. Thanks for the reminder!

• Advertisement

Picked up the blind tasting/judging pack today for the Irish Whiskey Awards. I signed up through the Celtic Whiskey Club, and I’m looking forward to it (first time).

I assume judges find out eventually what each whiskey is, does anyone know?

Did anyone hear about L Mulligans closing their whiskey shop? Someone told me they are going to be solely focusing on virtual tastings in the future. Any truth in it?

Yes, the shop is shut. I was talking to an ex-employee of theirs today and she said she heard the same regarding online tastings. She said the shop manager has taken up a role with Tipperary distillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

1901Rory wrote: »
    A tasty mix, I’d say. No pitchforks at the ready here! I’m a big fan of Redbreast with Talisker. Love the spike of peat in the sherry.

Red Skye at Night; Slattsy's delight

He'll be in in a minute now, pike in hand.

1901Rory wrote:

Twas lovely stuff. Up at half six this morning to head to the gym though which wasn't as lovely after a load of peat.

1901Rory wrote:

Not sure but you would hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

1901Rory wrote: »
    Picked up the blind tasting/judging pack today for the Irish Whiskey Awards. I signed up through the Celtic Whiskey Club, and I’m looking forward to it (first time).

Yeah just keep your notes on which samples you had. I just take pictures of my sheets. They will email you after the awards detailing which sample is which

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so apologies if not.

I'm considering buying a bottle of Teeling Renaissance 18yo as a gift. I can get it for about €120.

Is there better options for that price?

thejaguar wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so apologies if not.
    I'm considering buying a bottle of Teeling Renaissance 18yo as a gift. I can get it for about €120.
    Is there better options for that price?

It's a quality whiskey, lot of complexity. It would make a great gift alright.
    I've only ever tasted a tiny sample so I would welcome a gift of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

It's a quality whiskey, lot of complexity.

As far as complexity goes - the person I'm giving it to would be more of a quantity over quality whiskey drinker if you know what I mean. But is starting to try things (like a red breast 12yo that they really liked).

Is it likely to be something they can really appreciate or could it be too far too soon I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

What are the opinions on Jameson Cooper's Croze V Jameson Distillers Safe?

I see that both are down from €70 to €55 in both Tesco and O'Brien's.

• Advertisement

As far as complexity goes - the person I'm giving it to would be more of a quantity over quality whiskey drinker if you know what I mean. But is starting to try things (like a red breast 12yo that they really liked).

Is it likely to be something they can really appreciate or could it be too far too soon I wonder?

It might spoil them!

Hmm, well then maybe pair this sampler set with a full bottle of a €60-€70 whiskey with matching glasses.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/single-pot-still-gift-4-x-50ml

Another option is a range of bottles such as Black Bush, Teelings Small Batch, Powers Three Swallow so they can compare different styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

When I started off I found it takes time and working up to really appreciate some whiskey.

Early on got a 21yr old redbreast, only when i was drinking the 12 yr and 15 yr and then moved could i notice the subtle changes that made it a great whiskey.

If they liked RB maybe work them up through that series or get them onto a few lower price teelings for a good reference.

I tend to do this for any friends that come over so they can appreciate the difference rather than giving me the kind and bland "Was nice alright" response.

Pappy samples have arrived. Tasting next week with the Master Blender at Buffalo Trace. Should be good craic.

It might spoil them!

Hmm, well then maybe pair this sampler set with a full bottle of a €60-€70 whiskey with matching glasses.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/single-pot-still-gift-4-x-50ml

Another option is a range of bottles such as Black Bush, Teelings Small Batch, Powers Three Swallow so they can compare different styles.

@thejaguar I’d second that approach for exploring other styles
    Also given your mate’s liking for redbreast there is this sort of sampler pack too
    https://www.drinkstore.ie/redbreast-mingift-pack-5011007015985-11523/1/

Interesting Powers John's Lane tasting tonight (I'm struggling to type). Nothing in it is less than 14 year's old with some 18 and 19 year old stuff. Tasted 3 of the components at cask strength. I'd buy bottles of any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Interesting Powers John's Lane tasting tonight (I'm struggling to type). Nothing in it is less than 14 year's old with some 18 and 19 year old stuff. Tasted 3 of the components at cask strength. I'd buy bottles of any of them.

You lucky bastard

Did that deconstruction before with Celtic Whiskey. John's Lane is a favorite of mine. The samples are all amazing. That's the problem with deconstruction tastings as you will always prefer the component parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

I enjoyed it but have to say I'm glad the sample bottles were only half filled - at those strengths I'd be on the floor if I'd had more!

Another blend experiment tonight. 80% Green Spot mixed with 20% Great Northern Distillery triple distilled peated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Was gifted a bottle of Liberties 10 Copper Alley last week. First time trying any Liberties stuff. I like it. Vanilla, pepper and Sherry. Very more-ish.

Advertisement